read / write Java object stream format?

Larry

Is there any module / technique for reading / writing Java object
stream format? I looked on CPAN and there didn't seem to be anything
like that.

What I am trying to do is mimic part of the functionality of a certain
Java appplet which I have looked at with a protocol analyzer. I see
that it is sending some binary data which I suspect is in object stream
format (i.e. generated with Object.writeObject in Java). I would like
to look at what's in there so I can have my Perl script take the place
of the applet.

Just the type of task that Perl was made for :)

Mark Clements

Larry said:
Is there any module / technique for reading / writing Java object
stream format? I looked on CPAN and there didn't seem to be anything
like that.

What I am trying to do is mimic part of the functionality of a certain
Java appplet which I have looked at with a protocol analyzer. I see
that it is sending some binary data which I suspect is in object stream
format (i.e. generated with Object.writeObject in Java). I would like
to look at what's in there so I can have my Perl script take the place
of the applet.

Just the type of task that Perl was made for :)

This isn't the solution you have asked for, but you could try
deserializing the stream using java, and then writing the deserialized
object back to disk as YAML. Check out JYaml for a Java YAML library.
Perl could then read the YAML back from disk.

Mark