Reading a HP Printer Web Interface

Discussion in 'Python' started by rbt, Dec 27, 2004.

  1. rbt

    rbt Guest

    Hello there,

    Depending on the firmware version of the HP printer and the model type,
    one will encounter a myriad of combinations of the following strings
    while reading the index page:

    hp
    HP
    color
    Color
    Printer
    Printer Status
    Device:
    Device Status
    laserjet
    LaserJet

    How can I go about determining if a site is indeed the Web interface to
    a HP printer? The goal is to remove all HP printers from a list of
    publicly available Web sites... I've tried this approach, but it gets
    messy quickly when I attempt to account for all possible combinations
    that HP uses:

    f = urllib2.urlopen("http://%s" %host)
    data = f.read()
    f.close()
    if 'hp' or 'HP' and 'color' or 'Color' and 'Printer' or 'Printer Status'
    in data:
    DISREGARD THE IP

    I'm sure there's a more graceful way to go about this while maintaining
    a high degree of accuracy and as few false positives as possible. Any
    tips or pointers?

    Thanks in advance!

    rbt, Dec 27, 2004