reading a line by line from local text file through WATIR

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by curious, Oct 25, 2006.

  1. curious

    curious Guest

    I need to process a web page by insert the value in a local text file
    line by line each time.

    for example, in the code below:
    require 'watir'

    1.upto(10) do |num|

    ie = Watir::IE.start("http://www.test.php")

    ie.text_field:)name, "info").set("a_line_from_C\:\\text.txt")

    ie.button:)value, "Submit").click

    end
    I need to make the WATIR code read each line in C:\text.txt file one by
    one 10 times. Could anyone tell me how I should adjust the code above
    so that this WATIR code read each line in C:\text.txt file one by one
    ten times, and process each time with the value in each line in the
    text file??

    thanks.

    curious, Oct 25, 2006

  2. Re: reading a line by line from local text file through WATI

    curious wrote:
    <snip>
    > I need to make the WATIR code read each line in C:\text.txt file one by
    > one 10 times. Could anyone tell me how I should adjust the code above
    > so that this WATIR code read each line in C:\text.txt file one by one
    > ten times, and process each time with the value in each line in the
    > text file??

    Watir has very little to with it, you've already got the code to
    populate the textbox and click the "Submit" button. The question is how
    do you open a file and read each line. The following should do it.

    file = File.open("c:/text.txt", "r")
    lines = file.readlines()

    #-- make 10-passes thru this loop
    1.upto(10) {

    #-- process each element in the array
    0.upto(lines.length - 1) {|j|
    ie.text_field:)name, "info").set(lines[j])
    ie.button:)value, "Submit").click

    file.close()
    lines.clear()

    Patrick Spence, Oct 25, 2006