reading a structure containing pointers using softice !!

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by bluekarthik@yahoo.com, Dec 25, 2004.

  1. Guest

    hi,

    In simple words 'How to view / Read the various elements
    values in a structure at a particular point of my DRV ?'

    The Story is ->>>>
    i am using softice for tracking/hunting a bug .
    I am able to locate and get the address of the structure from the
    stack.

    eg:-
    Consider, lpvDevice located at 0x06CF:FB42.
    But, neither CS/DS/SS/ES/FS/GS has 0x06cf value.

    i did try many ways . Is there anything special in softice
    for viewing the structure details ... ????

    dl 0x06CF:FB42 - displays some values ??? But, am i right here ?
    The structure has many elements and i am able
    to c only few !!
    actually dl will list only virtual/physical
    memory - does this have the structure elements
    values ???? clear me friends !!!

    how to view/read the values from that address so that
    i could get the values of the variables in the structure.

    how to get the values of the strucure's elements using
    softice ?

    Do, plz respond,
    karthik bala guru
    , Dec 25, 2004

  2. -berlin.de Guest

    wrote:
    > In simple words 'How to view / Read the various elements
    > values in a structure at a particular point of my DRV ?'

    > The Story is ->>>>
    > i am using softice for tracking/hunting a bug .
    > I am able to locate and get the address of the structure from the
    > stack.

    > eg:-
    > Consider, lpvDevice located at 0x06CF:FB42.
    > But, neither CS/DS/SS/ES/FS/GS has 0x06cf value.

    > i did try many ways . Is there anything special in softice
    > for viewing the structure details ... ????

    Sorry, but I can't see anything related to the language C in your
    question, which is the topic of this group. Having heard that
    "SoftICE" is a program that gets used under Windows I would
    strongly recommend that you ask that kind of questions in a
    newsgroup where Windows issues get discussed. And since this
    seems to be about the use of a specific program on that platform
    you might get better results when you try to find a group
    (or some other forum like a mailing list) where people discuss
    the use of that program. And did you think about contacting the
    technical support of the company that produces "SoftICE"?

    Regards, Jens
    --
    \ Jens Thoms Toerring ___ -berlin.de
    -berlin.de, Dec 25, 2004

    The development is in 'C' language only
    and i think(beleive) that the bug in my driver is due to that
    structure's element only !!

    actually i was using the 'reverse engineering term' as a point
    to track my driver bug only in which i lost control(almost forgot)
    in the course of my development .
    (development deviation from that particular driver for quite long time)
    Anyhow thanx for ur info.
    karthik bala guru
    , Dec 26, 2004