Reading a text file which is easy to read when printed

Discussion in 'C++' started by Miner Jeff, Nov 7, 2008.

  1. Miner Jeff

    Miner Jeff Guest

    I've written some code that reads a text file. I have a requirement
    that the text file also be in a format that's easy to read when it's
    printed. In a prior project, I had used some spreadsheet commands to
    generate the text data in a neat format by inserting variable numbers
    of spaces for each data item, based on the actual character count of
    the data item. Now, with this new project, I have many more columns of
    data and I've exceeded Excel's formula length.

    Any suggestions about how to meet both the requirements? I.E.,
    reading the data with the program and in hardcopy? I've played around
    with inserting blank columns in the spreadsheet before pasting the
    data into a text file but of course I get a tab for each blank cell
    and the data isn't lined up in columns. Right now, the program code,
    doesn't discard tab characters but I think there's a way to do that.

    Thanks,

    Miner Jeff

    Miner Jeff, Nov 7, 2008

  2. Miner Jeff

    Ian Collins Guest

    Miner Jeff wrote:
    > I've written some code that reads a text file. I have a requirement
    > that the text file also be in a format that's easy to read when it's
    > printed. In a prior project, I had used some spreadsheet commands to
    > generate the text data in a neat format by inserting variable numbers
    > of spaces for each data item, based on the actual character count of
    > the data item. Now, with this new project, I have many more columns of
    > data and I've exceeded Excel's formula length.
    >
    > Any suggestions about how to meet both the requirements?

    Use OpenOffice?

    --
    Ian Collins

    Ian Collins, Nov 7, 2008

  3. Miner Jeff

    Miner Jeff Guest

    On Nov 7, 4:41 pm, Sam <> wrote:
    >  application_pgp-signature_part
    > < 1KViewDownload
    >
    > Miner Jeff writes:
    > > I've written some code that reads a text file. I have a requirement
    > > that the text file also be in a format that's easy to read when it's
    > > printed. In a prior project, I had used some spreadsheet commands to
    > > generate the text data in a neat format by inserting variable numbers
    > > of spaces for each data item, based on the actual character count of
    > > the data item. Now, with this new project, I have many more columns of
    > > data and I've exceeded Excel's formula length.

    > > Any suggestions about how to meet both the requirements?  I.E.,

    > Well, when you come up with a question about the C++ programming language,
    > you will actually meet the requirements for posting questions to this
    > newsfroup.

    What's a newsfroup?

    I solved the problem after I made the post.

    Jeff

    Miner Jeff, Nov 10, 2008