Reading cookies across browsers

Jonathan

I have been using document.cookie to write and read cookies.
Unfortunately, when I open my page in Internet Explorer, I don't see
what I wrote to my cookie while in Netscape Navigator. Similarly, my
page that I opened in Netscape doesn't see what I wrote to the cookie
while in IE.
Surely there must be away for IE and Netscape to read the same
cookie information ??. Otherwise, what happens if a user just happens
to be browsing my page in both browsers? They'll expect things to be
there, and they won't be there because one browser doesn't see what
was written in the other.
Any ideas on how to get Netscape to read cookies written by IE, and
visa versa???????
-Jonathan

Charles Banas

I have been using document.cookie to write and read cookies.
Unfortunately, when I open my page in Internet Explorer, I don't see
what I wrote to my cookie while in Netscape Navigator. Similarly, my
page that I opened in Netscape doesn't see what I wrote to the cookie
while in IE.

well, the reason is obvious - and i'm sure no typical user would use both
browsers to go to the same site at the same time. the only people that
usually install (or, for that matter, use) more than one browser at any
given time are people like you and me - the guys making the page to begin
with.
Surely there must be away for IE and Netscape to read the same
cookie information ??. Otherwise, what happens if a user just happens
to be browsing my page in both browsers? They'll expect things to be
there, and they won't be there because one browser doesn't see what
was written in the other.

again, i think this is a needless fear. few people would do that, and the
few who would (including myself) would do it just to have two separate
sessions going simultaneously.

i actually want that kind of behavior. in fact, at some websites, i have
different preferences set up for each browser.
Any ideas on how to get Netscape to read cookies written by IE, and
visa versa???????

i don't think it's possible - and for good reason. there's no reason to
have every browser using the same cookie files for any given site - it's
too difficult to implement, and it's more trouble that it's worth.

HOWEVER, the only way to do what you're asking would be to track via IP
address and keep some sort of session data that gets passed back and forth
between both browsers, through the server.

too much trouble. too much work. not worth it. don't bother.