Reading cookies

Global

Hi, Im writing a program in which there is a welcome page, similar to
Microsoft and Borland developer studios' welcome pages. Basically, there is
a web site (not mine), to which all users come. I want to find out user
name, there are two ways, read the cookie, or grab HTML from web site and
analyze it and find user name. Second one is not a big deal, but takes
bandwidth and might be noticable...

I found cookie files of the site, and they both say PHPSESSID, and then have
a large string, encrypted I guess. Anyway to decrypt that and read it?

Arjen

Global schreef:
Hi, Im writing a program in which there is a welcome page, similar to
Microsoft and Borland developer studios' welcome pages. Basically, there is
a web site (not mine), to which all users come. I want to find out user
name, there are two ways, read the cookie, or grab HTML from web site and
analyze it and find user name. Second one is not a big deal, but takes
bandwidth and might be noticable...

I found cookie files of the site, and they both say PHPSESSID, and then have
a large string, encrypted I guess. Anyway to decrypt that and read it?

No see http://php.net/session

And if it were my page you were scripting on you would be blocked within
a day :)

Global

And if it were my page you were scripting on you would be blocked within a

Oh there is so much to do to avoid that. For example I can play with
reffers and client IDs, pull at different times and only once. Basically
youd think people are browsing your site. :)

Floortje

Global schreef:
Oh there is so much to do to avoid that. For example I can play with
reffers and client IDs, pull at different times and only once. Basically
youd think people are browsing your site. :)

Hehe that's true but it's a lot of work.

Couldn't you just aks the site owner ? With PHP it isn't hard to create
an XML dump once a day.

Global

Hehe that's true but it's a lot of work.
Couldn't you just aks the site owner ? With PHP it isn't hard to create an
XML dump once a day.

Thats too difficult, because Im not familiar with PHP. Im going different
route now. Instead of reading cookie, Im going to read the offline document
(HTML).. If that dont work, then I could check the site at least once.