Reading CSV into recordset using GetString - msdn account

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Roland Hall, Jul 18, 2005.

  1. Roland Hall

    Roland Hall Guest

    I have two(2) issues.

    I'm experiencing a little difficulty and having to resort to a work around.
    I already found one bug, although stated the bug was only in ODBC, which I'm
    not using. It appears to be in the OLEDB driver also.

    My connection was:
    conn.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" & strPath & ";" &
    "Extended Properties='Text;HDR=NO;FMT=Delimited'"

    I got information from here:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnclinic/html/scripting03092004.asp

    I am using a schema.ini file and in it was:

    [austin.csv]
    Format=CSVDelimited

    Col1=personid Text
    Col2=currDate Text
    Col3=transCode Text
    Col4=caseNum Text
    Col5=caseType Text
    Col6=defName Text
    Col7=unknown Text

    1. The first line in the csv file was being ignored, as if it was a header
    line. I verified by putting a blank line in the file and then I was able to
    see the first record, which was now the second line.

    I read this was a bug but for FirstRowHasNames. It wasn't what I was using
    but the effect was the same for HDR=NO.
    "However, due to a bug in the ODBC driver, specifying the FirstRowHasNames
    setting currently has no effect. In other words, the Excel ODBC driver (MDAC
    2.1 and later) always treats the first row in the specified data source as
    field names."

    Ref: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/257819

    I found another article that fold me to use something else in the schema.ini
    file:
    http://www.aspdb.com/Site/tor/Manual04/T_csvtext.shtm

    ColNameHeader=False

    My current schema.ini:
    [austin.csv]
    Format=CSVDelimited
    ColNameHeader=False

    Col1=personid Text
    Col2=currDate Text
    Col3=transCode Text
    Col4=caseNum Text
    Col5=caseType Text
    Col6=defName Text
    Col7=unknown Text

    I now get the first row without the need for the blank line.

    My current connection string:
    conn.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" & strPath & ";" &
    "Extended Properties=Text"

    2. I am getting a blank line using rs.GetString but at the end.

    My line:
    arrAccounts = split(rs.GetString(adClipString,,,,""),vbCr)

    I thought perhaps it was returning a blank line because I ended my cursor,
    in the csv file on a blank line at the end. I have this issue using FSO and
    CSV files. I removed it but I still have the issue.

    I am able to get past it by reducing my upperboundary by 1 but it feels like
    a work-around.

    for i = 0 to ubound(arrAccounts) - 1
    lprt arrAccounts(i)
    next

    Full source for this issue:
    dim conn, rs, strPath, arrAccounts, arr, i
    Set conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    Set rs = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
    strPath = Server.Mappath("/csv/")
    conn.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" & strPath & ";" &
    "Extended Properties=Text"
    rs.Open "SELECT DISTINCT caseNum FROM austin.csv", conn, adOpenStatic,
    adLockOptimistic, adCmdText
    arrAccounts = split(rs.GetString(adClipString,,,,""),vbCr)
    rs.Close
    for i = 0 to ubound(arrAccounts) - 1
    lprt arrAccounts(i)
    next

    Am I causing the issue myself or is this a known issue?

    TIA...

    --
    Roland Hall
    or fitness for a particular purpose. */
    Roland Hall, Jul 18, 2005

  2. Roland Hall

    Roland Hall Guest

    How's that 48-hour turnaround working?

    "Roland Hall" <> wrote in message
    :I have two(2) issues.
    :
    &
[...]
    : rs.Close
    : for i = 0 to ubound(arrAccounts) - 1
    : lprt arrAccounts(i)
    : next
    :
    : Am I causing the issue myself or is this a known issue?
    :
    : TIA...
    :
    : --
    : Roland Hall
    : /* This information is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
    : without any warranty; without even the implied warranty of merchantability
    : or fitness for a particular purpose. */
    : Technet Script Center - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/
    : WSH 5.6 Documentation -
    : MSDN Library - http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp
    :
    :
    :
    Roland Hall, Jul 20, 2005

  3. Re: How's that 48-hour turnaround working?

    Roland Hall wrote:
    > "Roland Hall" <> wrote in message
    >> I have two(2) issues.

    <snip>

    >> Am I causing the issue myself or is this a known issue?

    Can you post a small extract from your csv file so we can attempt to
    reproduce this?

    Bob Barrows

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jul 20, 2005
  4. Re: How's that 48-hour turnaround working?

    Roland Hall wrote:
    > "Roland Hall" <> wrote in message

    Oh!, I just noticed your revised subject line. Are you an msdn subscriber
    and were these two issues directed at MS? I'll see if I can find someone to
    respond

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jul 20, 2005
  5. Roland Hall wrote:

    In order to get MS's attention, you have to use the no-spam email alias that
    you got when you registered at
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/newsgroups/managed/. You can guarantee that alias
    will be used if you post using the web-based system they've created.
    otherwise, you have to create an account in OE using the no-spam alias you
    chose (I do not remember "nononono.us" being one of the email domain choices
    at the registration site, but the site is experiencing problems right now so
    I can't confirm it one way or the other).

    See:

    "In the E-mail Address box, add the no-spam alias you registered. If you
    post with any other e-mail address, we cannot guarantee a response from the
    community or a Microsoft Support Engineer within two business days. "

    Bob Barrows
    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jul 21, 2005
  6. Roland Hall

    Roland Hall Guest

    "Bob Barrows [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    : Roland Hall wrote:
    :
    : In order to get MS's attention, you have to use the no-spam email alias
    that
    : you got when you registered at
    : http://msdn.microsoft.com/newsgroups/managed/. You can guarantee that
    alias
    : will be used if you post using the web-based system they've created.
    : otherwise, you have to create an account in OE using the no-spam alias you
    : chose (I do not remember "nononono.us" being one of the email domain
    choices
    : at the registration site, but the site is experiencing problems right now
    so
    : I can't confirm it one way or the other).

    They asked what email address I wanted to use so they would know it was
    managed. That's what I decided on.

    : See:
    :
    :
    : "In the E-mail Address box, add the no-spam alias you registered. If you
    : post with any other e-mail address, we cannot guarantee a response from
    the
    : community or a Microsoft Support Engineer within two business days. "
    :
    : Bob Barrows
    : --
    : Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    : Please reply to the newsgroup. This email account is my spam trap so I
    : don't check it very often. If you must reply off-line, then remove the
    : "NO SPAM"
    :
    :
    Roland Hall, Jul 21, 2005
  7. Roland Hall

    Roland Hall Guest

    : Roland Hall wrote:
    : > "Roland Hall" <> wrote in message
    : > news:...
    : >> I have two(2) issues.
    : <snip>
    : >>
    : >> Am I causing the issue myself or is this a known issue?
    : >>
    : Can you post a small extract from your csv file so we can attempt to
    : reproduce this?

    Here is a massaged record from the file:
    999999,6232005,AD,3998717,TR,"KKKKKK, QQQQQQQ ",1111
    SUENA ST , ,AUSTIN
    ,TX,71741,1111111111,1704866,EE,3071963,111111111,
    , ,
    ,331.5,0,331.5,3091998,FAIL TO MAINTAIN FINANCIAL RESP ,OOOOOOOOOO &
    OOOOO ,VRY11F ,TX,318,CHEV , ,BLU, ,N ,0, ,Y

    It's fixed-length but also comma-delimited so I'm using comma-delimited.

    This is my work-around since I get an extra record at the bottom:
    for i = 0 to ubound(arrAccounts) - 1

    This shows how the data gets read, folder is massaged. I changed my
    connectionstring because HDR=NO was not working. I'm controlling it with
    the schema.ini file.

    dim conn, rs, strPath, arrAccounts, arr, count, records(), x
    count = 0
    set conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    Set rs = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
    strPath = Server.Mappath("/somefolder/")
    conn.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" & strPath & ";" &
    "Extended Properties=Text"
    rs.Open "SELECT DISTINCT case_num FROM austin.csv", conn, adOpenStatic,
    adLockOptimistic, adCmdText
    arrAccounts = split(rs.GetString(adClipString,,,,""),vbCr)
    rs.Close
    rs.Open "SELECT * FROM austin.csv", conn, adOpenStatic, adLockOptimistic,
    adCmdText
    arr = split(rs.GetString(adClipString,,vbTab,,"null"),vbCr)
    rs.Close
    set rs = Nothing
    conn.Close
    set conn = Nothing
    prt "<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC ""-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"">"
    prt "<html>"
    prt "<body>"
    removeDuplicates arrAccounts, arr

    schema.ini file:
    [austin.csv]
    Format=CSVDelimited
    ColNameHeader=False

    Col1=personid Text
    Col2=curr_date Text
    Col3=trans_code Text
    Col4=case_num Text
    Col5=case_type Text
    Col6=def_name Text
    Col7=def_add1 Text
    Col8=def_add2 Text
    Col9=def_city Text
    Col10=def_state Text
    Col11=def_phone Text
    Col12=def_zip Text
    Col13=dl_num Text
    Col14=dl_state Text
    Col15=def_dob Text
    Col16=ss_num Text
    Col17=empl_name Text
    Col18=empl_addr Text
    Col19=empl_phone Text
    Col20=ttl_due Text
    Col21=ttl_paid Text
    Col22=bal_due Text
    Col23=issue_date Text
    Col24=viol_desc Text
    Col25=viol_place Text
    Col26=plate_num Text
    Col27=plate_st Text
    Col28=plate_exp Text
    Col29=vehi_make Text
    Col30=vehi_model Text
    Col31=vehi_color Text
    Col32=conviction Text
    Col33=status_cod Text
    Col34=stats_date Text
    Col35=bad_addr Text
    Col36=adjudicated Text

    I have the code working but I was only concerned about the HDR=NO not
    working and the extra array element at the upper boundary.

    Roland Hall, Jul 21, 2005
  8. Roland Hall

    Roland Hall Guest

    : Roland Hall wrote:
    : > "Roland Hall" <> wrote in message
    : > news:...
    :
    : Oh!, I just noticed your revised subject line. Are you an msdn subscriber
    : and were these two issues directed at MS? I'll see if I can find someone
    : respond

    Or anyone that has an answer. I'm concerned with the HDR=NO in the Jet
    OLEDB and GetString returning and extra line only when read from a text
    file.

    Roland Hall, Jul 21, 2005
  9. Roland Hall wrote:
    > "Bob Barrows [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    >> Roland Hall wrote:
    >>
    >> In order to get MS's attention, you have to use the no-spam email
    >> alias that you got when you registered at
    >> http://msdn.microsoft.com/newsgroups/managed/. You can guarantee
    >> that alias will be used if you post using the web-based system
    >> they've created. otherwise, you have to create an account in OE
    >> using the no-spam alias you chose (I do not remember "nononono.us"
    >> being one of the email domain choices at the registration site, but
    >> the site is experiencing problems right now so I can't confirm it
    >> one way or the other).

    > They asked what email address I wanted to use so they would know it
    > was managed. That's what I decided on.

    When I go to the registration site
    (https://msdn.one.microsoft.com/Subscriber/1033/ManagedNewsGroups.asp - this
    with your Passport), I am given a choice of 5 domains to use for my alias:

    @community.nospam
    @newsgroup.nospam
    @noemail.nospam
    @nospam.nospam
    @online.nospam

    There is no way to choose another domain. Once you select a posting alias
    using one of those domains, you need to use it per the instructions in this
    link:

    Bob Barrows

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jul 21, 2005
  10. Roland Hall

    : Roland Hall wrote:
    : > "Bob Barrows [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    : > news:%...
    : >> Roland Hall wrote:
    : >>
    : >> In order to get MS's attention, you have to use the no-spam email
    : >> alias that you got when you registered at
    : >> http://msdn.microsoft.com/newsgroups/managed/. You can guarantee
    : >> that alias will be used if you post using the web-based system
    : >> they've created. otherwise, you have to create an account in OE
    : >> using the no-spam alias you chose (I do not remember "nononono.us"
    : >> being one of the email domain choices at the registration site, but
    : >> the site is experiencing problems right now so I can't confirm it
    : >> one way or the other).
    : >
    : link only works if you sign into http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/
    : with your Passport), I am given a choice of 5 domains to use for my alias:
    :
    : @community.nospam
    : @newsgroup.nospam
    : @noemail.nospam
    : @nospam.nospam
    : @online.nospam
    :
    : There is no way to choose another domain. Once you select a posting alias
    : using one of those domains, you need to use it per the instructions in
    this
    : link:
    :
    :

    I had never heard of that before. I was informed differently and I believe
    that conversation took place over the phone.
    Thanks I'll check it out.

    Roland Hall, Jul 21, 2005
  11. Roland Hall

    Roland Hall Guest

    I haven't been able to get into the configuration. It says it's down but I
    could connect from another server but not sure how to get there.

    Roland Hall, Jul 22, 2005
  12. Roland Hall wrote:
    > I haven't been able to get into the configuration. It says it's down
    > but I could connect from another server but not sure how to get there.

    I ran into the same problem yesterday but was able to get in after several
    attempts.

    FWIW, I got right in a couple min. ago. Steps:
    2. Click the button to sign into MSDN Downloads with Passport
    3. After successfully signing in, click the word "here" in this sentence:

    Get Unlimited Free PSS Support for Technical Issues!
    Unlimited free support is available now to MSDN subscribers via the MSDN
    Managed Newsgroups. In over 200 developer newsgroups, Microsoft will assure
    that you receive a response to your posts within 2 business days. This
    service is included as a benefit of your active subscription. You can get
    started by registering here.

    which brings you here:
    https://msdn.one.microsoft.com/Subscriber/1033/ManagedNewsGroups.asp, where
    you register your alias, linking it to your Passport and enabling MS PSS to
    recognize your posts in the newsgroups.

    At least, that's my understanding of the process. I don't claim to speak
    for MS or MSDN.

    Bob Barrows
    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jul 22, 2005
  13. Roland Hall

    : Roland Hall wrote:
    : > I haven't been able to get into the configuration. It says it's down
    : > but I could connect from another server but not sure how to get there.
    :
    : I ran into the same problem yesterday but was able to get in after several
    : attempts.
    :
    : FWIW, I got right in a couple min. ago. Steps:
    : 2. Click the button to sign into MSDN Downloads with Passport
    : 3. After successfully signing in, click the word "here" in this sentence:

    That's what I was doing and #2 would fail with "We're busy. Go away!"

[...]

    Well, someone needs to. (O:=

    Ok, I got it updated. Thanks for the help. What should I do about my
    question now? Any ideas?

    Roland Hall, Jul 22, 2005
  14. Roland Hall wrote:
    > Ok, I got it updated. Thanks for the help. What should I do about my
    > question now? Any ideas?

    None, unfortunately. Maybe repost it?
    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jul 22, 2005
  15. Roland Hall

    : Roland Hall wrote:
    : > Ok, I got it updated. Thanks for the help. What should I do about my
    : > question now? Any ideas?
    :
    : None, unfortunately. Maybe repost it?

    Holy Moly, a third time? Ok.