Reading CSV into RecordSet using GetString() (MSDN)

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Roland Hall, Jul 23, 2005.

  1. Roland Hall

    Roland Hall Guest

    Three times the charm? Sorry for the repost. Trying to get my account
    right.

    I have two(2) issues.

    I'm experiencing a little difficulty and having to resort to a work around.
    I already found one bug, although stated the bug was only in ODBC, which I'm
    not using. It appears to be in the OLEDB driver also.

    My connection was:
    conn.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" & strPath & ";" &
    "Extended Properties='Text;HDR=NO;FMT=Delimited'"

    I got information from here:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnclinic/html/scripting03092004.asp

    I am using a schema.ini file and in it was:

    [austin.csv]
    Format=CSVDelimited

    Col1=personid Text
    Col2=currDate Text
    Col3=transCode Text
    Col4=caseNum Text
    Col5=caseType Text
    Col6=defName Text
    Col7=unknown Text

    1. The first line in the csv file was being ignored, as if it was a header
    line. I verified by putting a blank line in the file and then I was able to
    see the first record, which was now the second line.

    I read this was a bug but for FirstRowHasNames. It wasn't what I was using
    but the effect was the same for HDR=NO.
    "However, due to a bug in the ODBC driver, specifying the FirstRowHasNames
    setting currently has no effect. In other words, the Excel ODBC driver (MDAC
    2.1 and later) always treats the first row in the specified data source as
    field names."

    Ref: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/257819

    I found another article that fold me to use something else in the schema.ini
    file:
    http://www.aspdb.com/Site/tor/Manual04/T_csvtext.shtm

    ColNameHeader=False

    My current schema.ini:
    [austin.csv]
    Format=CSVDelimited
    ColNameHeader=False

    Col1=personid Text
    Col2=currDate Text
    Col3=transCode Text
    Col4=caseNum Text
    Col5=caseType Text
    Col6=defName Text
    Col7=unknown Text

    I now get the first row without the need for the blank line.

    My current connection string:
    conn.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" & strPath & ";" &
    "Extended Properties=Text"

    2. I am getting a blank line using rs.GetString but at the end.

    My line:
    arrAccounts = split(rs.GetString(adClipString,,,,""),vbCr)

    I thought perhaps it was returning a blank line because I ended my cursor,
    in the csv file on a blank line at the end. I have this issue using FSO and
    CSV files. I removed it but I still have the issue.

    I am able to get past it by reducing my upperboundary by 1 but it feels like
    a work-around.

    for i = 0 to ubound(arrAccounts) - 1
    lprt arrAccounts(i)
    next

    Full source for this issue:
    dim conn, rs, strPath, arrAccounts, arr, i
    Set conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    Set rs = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
    strPath = Server.Mappath("/csv/")
    conn.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" & strPath & ";" &
    "Extended Properties=Text"
    rs.Open "SELECT DISTINCT caseNum FROM austin.csv", conn, adOpenStatic,
    adLockOptimistic, adCmdText
    arrAccounts = split(rs.GetString(adClipString,,,,""),vbCr)
    rs.Close
    for i = 0 to ubound(arrAccounts) - 1
    lprt arrAccounts(i)
    next

    Am I causing the issue myself or is this a known issue?

    TIA...

    --
    Roland Hall
    or fitness for a particular purpose. */

    Roland Hall, Jul 23, 2005

  2. Roland Hall

    [MSFT] Guest

    Hello Roland,

    The blank line was generated by the Split method, when the Split char is
    "vbCr". A incorrect section was generated by Split method. Your work around
    is just the right way to get around the problem. Or remove the last vbCr
    before Split:

    ss = rs.GetString(adClipString, , , , "")

    ss = Left(ss, Len(ss) - 1)

    arrAccounts = Split(ss, vbCr)

    Hope this help,

    Luke

    [MSFT], Jul 25, 2005

  3. Roland Hall

    Roland Hall Guest

    "[MSFT]" wrote in message news:...
    : Hello Roland,
    :
    : The blank line was generated by the Split method, when the Split char is
    : "vbCr". A incorrect section was generated by Split method. Your work
    around
    : is just the right way to get around the problem. Or remove the last vbCr
    : before Split:
    :
    : ss = rs.GetString(adClipString, , , , "")
    :
    : ss = Left(ss, Len(ss) - 1)
    :
    : arrAccounts = Split(ss, vbCr)

    I guess I'll keep it the way it is then. Since vbCr was the delimiter, I
    didn't expect it to add a blank element on the end of the array. If it been
    a visible character, I might have noticed.

    a,b,c,

    Thanks for your help Luke.

    Roland Hall, Jul 25, 2005
  4. Roland Hall