Reading CSV into recordset using GetString

Roland Hall

I have two(2) issues.

I'm experiencing a little difficulty and having to resort to a work around.
I already found one bug, although stated the bug was only in ODBC, which I'm
not using. It appears to be in the OLEDB driver also.

My connection was:
conn.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" & strPath & ";" &
"Extended Properties='Text;HDR=NO;FMT=Delimited'"

I got information from here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnclinic/html/scripting03092004.asp

I am using a schema.ini file and in it was:

[austin.csv]
Format=CSVDelimited

Col1=personid Text
Col2=currDate Text
Col3=transCode Text
Col4=caseNum Text
Col5=caseType Text
Col6=defName Text
Col7=unknown Text

1. The first line in the csv file was being ignored, as if it was a header
line. I verified by putting a blank line in the file and then I was able to
see the first record, which was now the second line.

I read this was a bug but for FirstRowHasNames. It wasn't what I was using
but the effect was the same for HDR=NO.
"However, due to a bug in the ODBC driver, specifying the FirstRowHasNames
setting currently has no effect. In other words, the Excel ODBC driver (MDAC
2.1 and later) always treats the first row in the specified data source as
field names."

Ref: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/257819

I found another article that fold me to use something else in the schema.ini
file:
http://www.aspdb.com/Site/tor/Manual04/T_csvtext.shtm

ColNameHeader=False

My current schema.ini:
[austin.csv]
Format=CSVDelimited
ColNameHeader=False

Col1=personid Text
Col2=currDate Text
Col3=transCode Text
Col4=caseNum Text
Col5=caseType Text
Col6=defName Text
Col7=unknown Text

I now get the first row without the need for the blank line.

My current connection string:
conn.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" & strPath & ";" &
"Extended Properties=Text"

2. I am getting a blank line using rs.GetString but at the end.

My line:
arrAccounts = split(rs.GetString(adClipString,,,,""),vbCr)

I thought perhaps it was returning a blank line because I ended my cursor,
in the csv file on a blank line at the end. I have this issue using FSO and
CSV files. I removed it but I still have the issue.

I am able to get past it by reducing my upperboundary by 1 but it feels like
a work-around.

for i = 0 to ubound(arrAccounts) - 1
lprt arrAccounts(i)
next

Full source for this issue:
dim conn, rs, strPath, arrAccounts, arr, i
Set conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
Set rs = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
strPath = Server.Mappath("/csv/")
conn.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" & strPath & ";" &
"Extended Properties=Text"
rs.Open "SELECT DISTINCT caseNum FROM austin.csv", conn, adOpenStatic,
adLockOptimistic, adCmdText
arrAccounts = split(rs.GetString(adClipString,,,,""),vbCr)
rs.Close
for i = 0 to ubound(arrAccounts) - 1
lprt arrAccounts(i)
next

Am I causing the issue myself or is this a known issue?

TIA...

--
Roland Hall
or fitness for a particular purpose. */

Bullschmidt

Roland,

I see this was posted almost a week ago with no replies.

It's not exactly the same method you're trying to use but here is what
has worked for me in reading a CSV file into a database's table.

You can connect to a csv file (which can be opened in Excel and which an
Excel file can be converted into) in good form just as you can to a
regular database.

The .csv file needs to be uploaded to the server.

And you can have two recordsets open at the same time.

So I'd suggest going through this recordset one row at a time and within
this loop add a new record to the "real" database's recordset.

And for help connecting to a text file using the Jet OLE DB provider:
http://www.carlprothman.net/Default.aspx?tabid=87#OLEDBProviderForTextFi
les

And based on the above link realize that the actual filename does NOT go
in the connection string - rather it goes in the SQL statement
(definitely a little tricky).

Best regards,
J. Paul Schmidt, Freelance ASP Web Designer
http://www.Bullschmidt.com

<<
I have two(2) issues.

I'm experiencing a little difficulty and having to resort to a work
around.
I already found one bug, although stated the bug was only in ODBC, which
I'm
not using. It appears to be in the OLEDB driver also.

My connection was:
conn.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" & strPath &
";" &
[...]

: Roland,

Hi Paul...

: I see this was posted almost a week ago with no replies.

Yes, and I have an MSDN Universal subscription and I posted again with that
account and still nothing.

:
: You can connect to a csv file (which can be opened in Excel and which an
: Excel file can be converted into) in good form just as you can to a
: regular database.
:
: The .csv file needs to be uploaded to the server.

The file is already on the server.

: And you can have two recordsets open at the same time.

....but I only need one.

: So I'd suggest going through this recordset one row at a time and within
: this loop add a new record to the "real" database's recordset.

What "real" database? I have a .csv file.

: And for help connecting to a text file using the Jet OLE DB provider:
: http://www.carlprothman.net/Default.aspx?tabid=87#OLEDBProviderForTextFi
: les

Perhaps you missed this part of my post...

My connection was:
conn.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" & strPath &
";" & "Extended Properties='Text;HDR=NO;FMT=Delimited'"

: And based on the above link realize that the actual filename does NOT go
: in the connection string - rather it goes in the SQL statement
: (definitely a little tricky).

Yes, I know.

: rs.Open "SELECT DISTINCT caseNum FROM austin.csv", conn, adOpenStatic,
: adLockOptimistic, adCmdText

Here is the full source again:

: Full source for this issue:
: dim conn, rs, strPath, arrAccounts, arr, i
: Set conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
: Set rs = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
: strPath = Server.Mappath("/csv/")
: conn.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" & strPath &
: ";" &
: "Extended Properties=Text"
: rs.Open "SELECT DISTINCT caseNum FROM austin.csv", conn, adOpenStatic,
: adLockOptimistic, adCmdText
: arrAccounts = split(rs.GetString(adClipString,,,,""),vbCr)
: rs.Close
: for i = 0 to ubound(arrAccounts) - 1
: lprt arrAccounts(i)
: next

My two issues are:

1. HDR in the connection string is dysfunctional. I can get past it with:

ColNameHeader=False

.... in the schema.ini file.

2. GetString returns an empty element at the end. I have had to employ a
workaround of decrementing the upper boundary of my array by one with loop.
GetString, to my knowledge, doesn't display this behavior when I retrieve
rows from a database. My CSV file does not have an empty line at the end.