    (for example street, building, restaurant).

    Ideas where to start? I have read the Esri shapefile technical
    documentation.

    Lese, Jun 30, 2004

  2. On 30 Jun 2004 01:00:38 -0700, Lese wrote:

    > Ideas where to start?

    I generally start with 'import' statements,
    though a lot of people prefer to put a few lines
    of '//' style comments at the top listing the
    file's own name (go figure) and other trivial
    information..

    HTH

    --
    Andrew Thompson

    Andrew Thompson, Jun 30, 2004

  3. Lese

    Chris Uppal Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:

    > > Ideas where to start?

    > I generally start with 'import' statements,

    ;-)

    -- chris

    Chris Uppal, Jun 30, 2004
  4. Lese

    Gorf Guest

    "Andrew Thompson" <> wrote in message
    > On 30 Jun 2004 01:00:38 -0700, Lese wrote:
    >
    > > Ideas where to start?

    > I generally start with 'import' statements,
    > though a lot of people prefer to put a few lines
    > of '//' style comments at the top listing the
    > file's own name (go figure) and other trivial
    > information..

    ....strange, I generally start with a 'package' statement...

    --
    Gorf

    Gorf, Jun 30, 2004
  5. Lese

    Darren Guest

    > I need to read Esri shapefiles with Java. If I am given coordinates I
    > have to tell what is in that point in different layers of digital map
    > (for example street, building, restaurant).
    >
    > Ideas where to start? I have read the Esri shapefile technical
    > documentation.

    Unless you are interested in writing it all from scratch I'd opt for one
    of the opensource libraries that can already read shapefiles. IMHO
    Geotools is one of the best; geotools-lite would be more suitable for
    what you want to do http://lite.geotools.org

    Darren

    Darren, Jun 30, 2004
  6. On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 15:42:24 +0100, Gorf wrote:
    > "Andrew Thompson" <> wrote in message
    >> On 30 Jun 2004 01:00:38 -0700, Lese wrote:
    >>
    >>> Ideas where to start?

    >> I generally start with 'import' statements,

    > ...strange, I generally start with a 'package' statement

    Sure, if I am confident I know what I
    am doing and how to do it, the code goes
    straight into a package.

    But if I am approaching a new area I will
    often drag a resource (such as a document)
    into the code directory and dispense with
    package stamements.

    Of course, if you never try anything new,
    use packages from the outset. ;-)

    --
    Andrew Thompson

    Andrew Thompson, Jun 30, 2004
  7. Lese

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 16:35:44 GMT, Andrew Thompson
    <> wrote or quoted :

    >Of course, if you never try anything new,
    >use packages from the outset. ;-)

    Putting a smiley on a dagger does not make it funny.

    American TV is based on the sitcom, which consist of people exchanging
    imaginative insults. It falls flat in many other countries as does
    much national humour.

    You think you are being witty, but it comes across to an international
    audience as rude.

    You puzzle me. You put out a lot of effort to be helpful, but you
    almost invariably deliver your help with a slap or a sting, even to
    people who have done nothing out of the ordinary to deserve it.

    Save your venom for those twits who are trying to waste the once in
    lifetime opportunity to go to school by getting others to do their
    homework for them.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Jun 30, 2004