reading from files

shikha

hi

i am working on mp3 decoder in vhdl. i need to read the bitstream and
decode it. the bitstream is in a file so i used the commands for file
reading. but i found that quartus doesn't support the read, readin
commands, i.e textio is not supporte. what should i do now to read that
bitstream..plz suggest

regards
shikha

asicbaba

hi buddy,
its not the quartes, its in genberal any fpga will not support...funda
is simple....text io is only fr simuloation if u r dng simulation u can
do it...if u r testing on board...thenn funda is clr.....take any
momory model available in the web (RAM model), make a memory read block
added in ur RTL.......load ur bitstreem in the memory and read frm the
mory instead of file.....and contniue process...thsi is teh only way u
have to do streaming process of data...

anyway keep in touch
sharat
tokyo, japan
(e-mail address removed)

shikha

thanks sharat

this is exactly i was wanting

can u suggest what kind of memeory model and from where to get it.
from where wil i get info for writing the bitstream to the ram area and
reading from it.

D Stanford

This depends a lot on what physical implementation you're doing. If
you're planning on programming an FPGA on a test board that already
exists, you want to use a model of the memory on that board, and use
it's documentation to transfer files to that memory.

If you're working on a project that will only exist in design then you
have many options. I'd suggest at that point researching how files are
stored in your computer RAM and trying to copy that process.

Joined
May 12, 2006
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
help needed on mp3

hii.. shika..
we too are working on mpe decoder design using vhdl,,we used a c program to read the bit stream and then use it our project,, if u have a vhdl program for that then please send to (e-mail address removed).. well if u need the c program then mail mee for the same....
waiting for your reply...