Reading hex data from file

magik

Hi!

I have got text file with data wrote in this manner:

01 04 A2 FC 10 D0 E4 C2
0A C3 FF 9A D2 E1 00 00

each 2-sign value is a hex value of std_logic_vector(7 downto 0), and it
should be connected with data vector in my project like this:

data(7 downto 0) <= (2-sign value from text file);

how can I do that?
have you got a similiar vhdl example witch I can use?

Thanks for any help

Paul

info_

Hi,

Simple;
OTOMH (not tested, so you have a little work left ;-)

use std.textio.all;
use ieee.std_logic_textio.all; -- Synopsys :)

readline(L, File_handle);
for i in 1 to 8 loop
hread (L, vData); -- variable vData : std_logic_vector(Data'range);
Data <= vData;
-- wait some etc...
end loop;

and do this while you've not reached the end of file.
Voilà

info_

info_ said:
Hi,

Simple;
OTOMH (not tested, so you have a little work left ;-)

use std.textio.all;
use ieee.std_logic_textio.all; -- Synopsys :)

readline(L, File_handle);
Ooops !
readline (File_handle,L); -- indeed

Bert Cuzeau

magik

Thanx Bert!! :)

What if some of my lines are not exactly with 8 2-hex ??

ok, in real the file looks like this:

---------------------------------
COMAND_A
01 04 A2 FC 10 D0 E4 C2
0A C3 FF 9A D2 E1 00 00
(empty line or comment)
COMAND_B
01 04 A2
---------------------------------

I will start from checking first line witch should cover string and I will
decide what to do. Of course at this moment I will use read(L, string_var);
where string_var is STRING type. After this I will read data... how can I
assume that there is no more data in present line or the line is empty or
has no-hex (0-9, A-F) objects??

Paul

info_

magik said:
Thanx Bert!! :)

What if some of my lines are not exactly with 8 2-hex ??

ok, in real the file looks like this:

---------------------------------
COMAND_A
01 04 A2 FC 10 D0 E4 C2
0A C3 FF 9A D2 E1 00 00
(empty line or comment)
COMAND_B
01 04 A2
---------------------------------

I will start from checking first line witch should cover string and I will
decide what to do. Of course at this moment I will use read(L, string_var);
where string_var is STRING type. After this I will read data... how can I
assume that there is no more data in present line or the line is empty or
has no-hex (0-9, A-F) objects??

Paul

Can test L(1), but your example is quite unfriendly as "C" is a
valid hex character :-(
Why not use a semicolumn for non-data (& comments) lines ?

Testing L'length is recommended. Less than 2 is hopeless
for hreading a byte. (it gets easily rid of blank lines too)

Could use the "safe" version of read & test the boolean to see if the
extraction went okay or not.

Writing a robust data parser in VHDL isn't terribly exciting,
but it isn't very difficult either.
Once you'll have yours, keep it : it's very useful and resusable code.

Bert Cuzeau

magik

Thanx again !! :)

OK my test model is working, but how can I finish testing ?
For now, when the end of the input text file is reached my AHDL is crashing
down...

Paul

Bert Cuzeau

magik said:
Thanx again !! :)

OK my test model is working, but how can I finish testing ?
For now, when the end of the input text file is reached my AHDL is crashing
down...
AHDL ? ! you mean VHDL ?

while not ENDFILE(F) loop
-- process the file