    Can somebody help with some pointers to how I can read the HTML in a frame?

    Thanks,
    Chip
    Chip, Jan 24, 2004

  2. "Chip" <> wrote in
    news:#:
    > Here's how I think it should work. Open the Library of Congress search
    > page in a frame within my app. Do your searching and select a record.
    > Now click a button on the "my app" frame to import that record.

    How will you import it? If its in a frame, it will be in the users browser.
    JS might get it - but often different windows and frames that are from
    different domains are security blocked.

    > I should be able to read the HTML in one of two ways:
    > Access the buffer in the other frame

    Maybe? Might be security restrictions.

    > Get the URL from the other frame and access the page through more
    > conventional means

    By refetching on to the server?

    > I would prefer to just read a buffer since I've already accessed the
    > page. Can somebody help with some pointers to how I can read the HTML in
    > a frame?

    You will have to use Javascript - if the security model will let you because
    its a different domain.

    Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu, Jan 25, 2004

  3. Chip

    Chip Guest

    "Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu" <> wrote in message
    > "Chip" <> wrote in
    > > Here's how I think it should work. Open the Library of Congress search
    > > page in a frame within my app. Do your searching and select a record.
    > > Now click a button on the "my app" frame to import that record.

    > How will you import it? If its in a frame, it will be in the users

    browser.
    > JS might get it - but often different windows and frames that are from
    > different domains are security blocked.

    Thanks for the reality check -- of course the buffer is in the browser and
    not the server.
    Is there any way to capture the URL of the page the user has open in this
    frame?

    Chip
    Chip, Jan 25, 2004
  4. "Chip" <> wrote in news:#erdsMu4DHA.1948
    @TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl:
    > Thanks for the reality check -- of course the buffer is in the browser and
    > not the server.
    > Is there any way to capture the URL of the page the user has open in this
    > frame?

    I *think* you might be able to read the URL. But then again, maybe not
    because URLs often contain sensitive info that could be used by a hacker.
    You'll need to look at the JS security model as well as try it out.

    Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu, Jan 25, 2004