Reading image files

Joined
Nov 8, 2007
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Hi everyone,
I have to perform edge detection on an image. I would like to know how is it possible for me to open a JPEG file, using VHDL, read and store the pixels so that I can perform edge detection, and finally output another image.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Joined
Nov 8, 2007
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Thanks for the reply.
What I am trying to perform is an edge detection algorithm using Sobel Transform. What this basically does is that it gives the edges of an image. To start out with, i plan to use a very simple image such as a coloured in circle on a white background (using Microsoft Paint), what i want to achieve is the get the edge of this circle, basically a hollow circle with just the edge.
So, what is wanted to know is how to open an image file using VHDL, obtain the pixel values, store them in some memory buffer, operate on them, and final get the output image. I have to use VHDL since i am trying to implement this on an FPGA.
If that is not possible, do you know of any software that will convert an image file into a text file with just the pixel values?

Once again, thanks