Reading LAST line from text file without iterating through the file?

Mike Schilling

I was curious enough to Google "Monty Python" and "fanatical
devotion to the pope". It's from the Spanish Inquisition skit,
and the phrase ("fanatical devotion ....") appears as part of a
list that keeps growing. So I'm guessing the relevance here is
the list that keeps growing. Still a bit of a .... Nope, not
going to give you something you can quote out of context.

No one expects to be quoted out of context!

blmblm

No one expects to be quoted out of context!

Good one, but in the unlikely event that anyone takes this claim
(about "no one expects") seriously, I have (am?) a counterexample.

I have quite a bit of practice in trying to have a discussion
with someone quotes in the way Ken seems to leaning toward.
It's -- "interesting"?

Paul Cager

I beg your pardon?

"No True Scotsman" is a logical fallacy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
No_True_Scotsman), where a person dismisses a counter-example to his
assertion by arbitrarily excluding the counter-example. It's a kind of
circular argument, e.g.

A: "Compilers convert a program's source code into instructions that
the hardware can directly execute".
B: "Not all of them. The standard Java compiler produces bytecode
which the hardware cannot directly execute".
A: "Ah well, that's not a proper compiler then. All true compilers
produce machine code".

Often the counter-example is dismissed in a derogatory way so that
person "B" is less likely to want to defend it.

blmblm

[ snip ]
Even the endless ads for shoes and fancy watches? (My newsserver filters
that crap out, fortunately, but every time I need to dig an older post up
with google, I see the group's thread list clogged full of it.)

Well, the value of archiving that kind of stuff is probably fairly
limited, though I suppose it might be of interest to *someone*
(maybe someone researching something about different methods of
promoting businesses or products?). I suppose I question whether
one can filter out the stuff that almost everyone regards as junk
without catching some good stuff too. As you say, though, some
news servers seem to do a pretty good job. I suppose I'd be in
favor of keeping everything but providing two ways of searching,
one with the "junk" filtered out and one with no filtering. But
I haven't really thought this through.
Is that "interesting" interesting or "old Chinese curse" interesting?

Both.

blmblm

What? No, we were discussing Leif writing "And Nokia's Ovi Store. And
Sony-Ericsson's eStore. And an almost fanatical devotion to the pope."
and my quoting only "And an almost fanatical devotion to the pope."

Backtracking into previous posts .... My mistake. (What *could*
I have been thinking .... )

Mike Schilling

Ken Wesson said:
Clearly not, or I would surely have recognized it. In actual fact, I
can't recall ever having seen or heard of this so-called "standard way"
before, in decades of both offline and online discourse.

"Fanatical devotion to the pope" does get only 233,000 Google hits.

tm

The '67 version added lowercase letters! See:

http://www.wps.com/projects/codes/#ASCII-1967

Finally something interesting in this thread. I always
assumed that ASCII had lowercase letters from the
beginning...

Greetings Thomas Mertes

Mike Schilling

Ken Wesson said:
And the relevance of that is? That phrase has a standard meaning in
addition to the alleged meaning you attribute to it.

"Alleged"? You think the rest of us who knew exactly what it meant invented
the whole thing?

Mike Schilling

Ken Wesson said:
The alleged "rest of you who knew exactly what it meant", you mean. :)

Fact is, "known to a small group of people who hang out together
regularly"

Yes, I spend all of my time in Java newsgroups: it's where I learned to
appreciate Monty Python.

Mike Schilling

Ken Wesson said:
How interesting.

The fact remains, I have never seen that phrase used in such a manner
anywhere, ever, until here just the other day.

The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars but in ourselves.