Reading MathML on WinCE?

wende598

I have a Jornada 720 and would like to be able to view MathML files.
There is a patch from HP that enables XML on the Pocket IE. Would it be
possible to configure it to render MathML?

TIA,
Wendell

David Carlisle

I don't have the machine, so this is untested but the HP web site says:

HP ChaiVM 4.1.2 - Allows viewing of Java (TM) applets in Internet
Explorer on the HP Jornada and provides developers with a complete
runtime environment for integrating Java applications on the H/PC.

In which case you should be able to run the webeq applet to display
mathml, eg this example:

http://www.dessci.com/en/products/webeq/interactive/viewerctrl.htm

David

wende598

"Required: Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher...40MB free disk
space and 32MB free RAM..."

Seems a bit big. Does it take all that to read MathML? If a browser is
XML enabled, I thought it just took the appropriate style sheets and
fonts.

David Carlisle

"Required: Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher...40MB free disk
space and 32MB free RAM..."

Seems a bit big. Does it take all that to read MathML? If a browser is
XML enabled, I thought it just took the appropriate style sheets and
fonts.

I think that's for the full math editing suite isn't it? The viewer
applet is much smaller. If you just look at the page I mentioned last
time it downloads on to your browser in the usual applet way. It doesn't
really take any installation space.

"xml enabled" might mean just having an xml parser, but you have to have
some basic math formating capability built in to a renderer, eg for
laying out fractions or stretching brackets around a matrix. Mozilla
browsers include this but IE, even on the desktop does not and needs an
extension. Usual recommendation is MathPlayer but that doesn't work in
IE4.

David