reading spreadsheets

QoS

Hello everybody,

Please help.
I've got a bunch of Lotus 123 (version 9.8) files.
Well it would be very good if these files could somehow
be loaded into a Perl datastructure. Does Perl have a
module for accomplishing this? Any other ideas on how
to get this file loaded up into a data structure without
learning the specific lotus 123 file format?

Spreadsheet::Read doesnt want to open the file :(

#!/usr/bin/perl
use strict;
use warnings;
use Spreadsheet::Read;

my $aref = 'UNDEFINED';
$aref = Spreadsheet::Read::ReadData('original.123');
print "aref is: [$aref]\n";

exit;

Thanks for any guidance on this.

Michael Vilain

Hello everybody,

Please help.
I've got a bunch of Lotus 123 (version 9.8) files.
Well it would be very good if these files could somehow
be loaded into a Perl datastructure. Does Perl have a
module for accomplishing this? Any other ideas on how
to get this file loaded up into a data structure without
learning the specific lotus 123 file format?

Spreadsheet::Read doesnt want to open the file :(

#!/usr/bin/perl
use strict;
use warnings;
use Spreadsheet::Read;

my $aref = 'UNDEFINED';
$aref = Spreadsheet::Read::ReadData('original.123');
print "aref is: [$aref]\n";

exit;

Thanks for any guidance on this.

CPAN had no hits for "lotus", so you're going to have to roll you own
here.

A google of "Lotus 123 file format" showed the Wikipedia article among
others which lead me to

http://www.schnarff.com/file-formats/index.html#lotus

Time to roll up your sleeves...

QoS

bugbear said:
If you only have a small number, a bit of manual
load - save-as in open office might be a way
forward.

OpenOffice may also have automation or scripting
capaibilities, but that would be a matter
for another forum.

BugBear

I asked the fella to use his smartsuite thing to save as to excel or csv.

But it is apparently 1000's of files, so, in the meantime i will be looking
for a converter to make exporting the .123's to .xls's quicker.

Looking into that file format sounds interesting anyhow, perhaps another
time.

Thanks for all your help on this folks.