    exit;

    Thanks for any guidance on this.

    , Jun 7, 2007

  2. In article <ZD%9i.19188$6h.1878@trnddc08>, d wrote:

    > Hello everybody,
    >
    > Please help.
    > I've got a bunch of Lotus 123 (version 9.8) files.
    > Well it would be very good if these files could somehow
    > be loaded into a Perl datastructure. Does Perl have a
    > module for accomplishing this? Any other ideas on how
    > to get this file loaded up into a data structure without
    > learning the specific lotus 123 file format?
    >
    > Spreadsheet::Read doesnt want to open the file :(
    >
    > #!/usr/bin/perl
    > use strict;
    > use warnings;
    > use Spreadsheet::Read;
    >
    > my $aref = 'UNDEFINED';
    > $aref = Spreadsheet::Read::ReadData('original.123');
    > print "aref is: [$aref]\n";
    >
    > exit;
    >
    > Thanks for any guidance on this.

    CPAN had no hits for "lotus", so you're going to have to roll you own
    here.

    A google of "Lotus 123 file format" showed the Wikipedia article among
    others which lead me to

    http://www.schnarff.com/file-formats/index.html#lotus

    Time to roll up your sleeves...

    Michael Vilain, Jun 8, 2007

    bugbear <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote in message-id: <466913f5$0$8730$>

    > wrote:
    >> Hello everybody,
    >>
    >> Please help.
    >> I've got a bunch of Lotus 123 (version 9.8) files.
    >> Well it would be very good if these files could somehow
    >> be loaded into a Perl datastructure. Does Perl have a
    >> module for accomplishing this? Any other ideas on how
    >> to get this file loaded up into a data structure without
    >> learning the specific lotus 123 file format?

    >If you only have a small number, a bit of manual
    >load - save-as in open office might be a way
    >forward.
    >
    >OpenOffice may also have automation or scripting
    >capaibilities, but that would be a matter
    >for another forum.
    >
    > BugBear

    I asked the fella to use his smartsuite thing to save as to excel or csv.

    But it is apparently 1000's of files, so, in the meantime i will be looking
    for a converter to make exporting the .123's to .xls's quicker.

    Looking into that file format sounds interesting anyhow, perhaps another
    time.

    Thanks for all your help on this folks.

    , Jun 8, 2007

    l v <> wrote in message-id: <>

    > wrote:
    >> bugbear <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote in message-id: <466913f5$0$8730$>

    >>> If you only have a small number, a bit of manual
    >>> load - save-as in open office might be a way
    >>> forward.
    >>>
    >>> OpenOffice may also have automation or scripting
    >>> capaibilities, but that would be a matter
    >>> for another forum.
    >>>
    >>> BugBear

    >> I asked the fella to use his smartsuite thing to save as to excel or csv.
    >>
    >> But it is apparently 1000's of files, so, in the meantime i will be looking
    >> for a converter to make exporting the .123's to .xls's quicker.
    >>
    >> Looking into that file format sounds interesting anyhow, perhaps another
    >> time.
    >>
    >> Thanks for all your help on this folks.
    >>

    >Visual Basic Macro to Convert Lotus Files to MS Excel at
    >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/115343/en-us
    >
    >--
    >
    >Len

    Excellent find, thank you.. If my friend finds it to cumbersome to
    export his spreadsheets using lotus, I will offer this as an option.

    , Jun 8, 2007