Reading The Selected Value In DropDown List

Guest

Do you have to use AutoPostBack to read the selected value in a dropdown
list? I have an asp.net dropdown on a form. I'm filling it from a table
when the page loads and want to read the value the user selected when they
submit the entire form. But regardless of the value they select, I always
get the first item in the list when I read it. I can get the values from
the text boxes without a problem. But the dropdown list seems to work
differently. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

Jerry

Eliyahu Goldin

Jerry,

No, you don't have to use AutoPostBack property. Rather check if you are
using IsPostBack property in the PageLoad event.

Eliyahu

Morgan

Make sure you are not repopulating the drop down list on postback. This will
force you to get the first item in the list.

tdavisjr

I had an issue today similar to this; but my issue was the the value
property for each of the list items was not unique. To keep the
selection after postback the value property MUST be unique.

Rajesh

Hey
Why dont u make use of the ViewState of the control property to reset the
selected value

Rajesh