Reading webstats?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by T.J., Jan 21, 2004.

  1. T.J.

    T.J. Guest

    Hi all,
    I have just put a site online and are trying to work
    out how to read my webstats.
    I want to know roughly how many visitors I receive.
    I included a site meter, but don't know if it is
    accurate.
    The site meter says I received over 800 visitors yesterday
    and this is a copy from the webstats,

    Successful requests: 12,638
    Average successful requests per day: 12,689
    Successful requests for pages: 3,802
    Average successful requests for pages per day: 3,816
    Failed requests: 470
    Redirected requests: 2
    Distinct files requested: 18
    Distinct hosts served: 833
    Data transferred: 36.895 Mbytes
    Average data transferred per day: 37.050 Mbytes

    Could someone give a rough idea of what the stats mean,
    I assume the "Distinct hosts served: 833" is the amount of
    visitors, is that correct?
    TIA.
     
    T.J., Jan 21, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. T.J.

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:bumnnp$5df$>
    "T.J." <> said:

    > I have just put a site online and are trying to work
    > out how to read my webstats.


    Analog 5.32: How the web works
    4. What you can't know.
    You can't tell the identity of your readers.
    You can't tell how many visitors you've had.
    You can't tell how many visits you've had.
    Cookies don't solve these problems.
    You can't follow a person's path through your site.
    You often can't tell where they entered your site, or where they found
    out about you from.
    You can't tell how they left your site, or where they went next.
    You can't tell how long people spent reading each page.
    You can't tell how long people spent on your site.
    http://www.analog.cx/docs/webworks.html


    --
    brucie - i usenet nude
     
    brucie, Jan 21, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. T.J.

    kayodeok Guest

    "T.J." <> wrote in news:bumnnp$5df$1
    @newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk:

    > Hi all,
    > I have just put a site online and are trying to work
    > out how to read my webstats.


    http://www.goldmark.org/netrants/webstats/
    http://www.rahul.net/mcgrew/counters.html

    > Successful requests: 12,638


    Number of files served? (html, htm, asp, php, jpg, gif etc)
    Each request for a file is a successful request irrespective of what
    file was served, therefore, if you have an html page with 5 jpg
    files, 1 mp3 file, 2 gifs, that should be 10 requests (I included the
    CSS file - assuming you have one)

    HTTP Code 200ish

    > Average successful requests per day: 12,689
    > Successful requests for pages: 3,802


    An HTML page could be made up of html, jpg, gif etc (a guess at how
    many pages)

    > Average successful requests for pages per day: 3,816
    > Failed requests: 470


    HTTP Code 400ish (403, 404)

    > Redirected requests: 2


    HTTP Code 300ish

    > Distinct files requested: 18


    ???

    > Distinct hosts served: 833


    IP Hosts that is xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    Keep in mind that where I work, the IP is the same for all 700 staff
    therefore, if we all hit your page in one day, this is still 1 unique
    IP.
    Some Counters have their own criteria for measuring distinct hosts,
    therefore, if someone from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx visits now, that is 1
    unique host, the counter may however be configured to "reset" in say,
    30 minutes to 2 hours, therefore, if I visit 6 six times in 24
    hours... you do the maths.
    Keep also in mind that I am on dial-up and I get kicked off every 2
    hours, and my IP is dynamic therefore, 2 unique IPs could be the same
    person.
    Keep also in mind that not all IPs have a human behind them, most are
    simply bots crawling the web.

    > Data transferred: 36.895 Mbytes


    If you have a 20 page web site with each page averaging 30kb with no
    jpg files (all are simple html), then in 24 hours, with 100
    successful requests, you have 100*20*30kb.
    Keep in mind that not all pages are uniform and not all pages are
    successfully requested and not all pages are requested and if you
    have images, not all browsers request them and if you have css they
    are generally cached per visitor.

    > Average data transferred per day: 37.050 Mbytes
    >
    > Could someone give a rough idea of what the stats mean,


    How many visitors did you have in one day? No idea

    > I assume the "Distinct hosts served: 833" is the amount of
    > visitors, is that correct?


    No

    --
    Kayode Okeyode
    http://www.kayodeok.co.uk/weblog/
    http://www.kayodeok.btinternet.co.uk/favorites/webdesign.htm
     
    kayodeok, Jan 21, 2004
    #3
  4. T.J.

    Richard Guest

    T.J. wrote:

    > Hi all,
    > I have just put a site online and are trying to work
    > out how to read my webstats.
    > I want to know roughly how many visitors I receive.
    > I included a site meter, but don't know if it is
    > accurate.
    > The site meter says I received over 800 visitors yesterday
    > and this is a copy from the webstats,


    > Successful requests: 12,638
    > Average successful requests per day: 12,689
    > Successful requests for pages: 3,802
    > Average successful requests for pages per day: 3,816
    > Failed requests: 470
    > Redirected requests: 2
    > Distinct files requested: 18
    > Distinct hosts served: 833
    > Data transferred: 36.895 Mbytes
    > Average data transferred per day: 37.050 Mbytes


    > Could someone give a rough idea of what the stats mean,
    > I assume the "Distinct hosts served: 833" is the amount of
    > visitors, is that correct?
    > TIA.


    Basically. You had 833 visitors. All of whom saw the main page.
    Some ventured off into other pages.
    And many of those so called "hits" could be from search engines and do not
    reflect true visits.

    A site just installed is in no way gonna get 12,000 hits the first day.

    What will tell the truth, is the bandwidth. Excuse me, usage meter.
    If that shows extremely low then there is no way you had 12k hits.
     
    Richard, Jan 22, 2004
    #4
  5. T.J.

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "Richard" <anonymous@127.000> wrote:
    > T.J. wrote:
    >
    > > I have just put a site online and are trying to work
    > > out how to read my webstats.
    > > I want to know roughly how many visitors I receive.
    > > I included a site meter, but don't know if it is
    > > accurate.
    > > The site meter says I received over 800 visitors yesterday
    > > and this is a copy from the webstats,

    >
    > > Successful requests: 12,638
    > > Average successful requests per day: 12,689
    > > Successful requests for pages: 3,802
    > > Average successful requests for pages per day: 3,816
    > > Failed requests: 470
    > > Redirected requests: 2
    > > Distinct files requested: 18
    > > Distinct hosts served: 833
    > > Data transferred: 36.895 Mbytes
    > > Average data transferred per day: 37.050 Mbytes

    >
    > > Could someone give a rough idea of what the stats mean,
    > > I assume the "Distinct hosts served: 833" is the amount of
    > > visitors, is that correct?
    > > TIA.

    >
    >Basically. You had 833 visitors.


    Rubbish. The server recieved requests from 833 different hosts, that
    may or may not be the same as the number of visitors; and most likely
    is not the same.

    >All of whom saw the main page.


    No way of telling that from the above unless the particular Analog (I
    recognise what an Analog report looks like and the above is the
    summary section of one) configuration used to generate that report was
    configfured to only count requests for the home page. However, the
    full report will include a breakdown of which files have been
    requested.

    >And many of those so called "hits" could be from search engines and do not
    >reflect true visits.


    Search Engines count in the Distince Hosts as well and so are included
    in the 833 figure.

    >A site just installed is in no way gonna get 12,000 hits the first day.


    Why not? What's the domain name? What's the subject matter? How much
    has been spent on advertising? Was the launch the feature of a press
    relaease? If the homepage has 20 images on it then 12,000 requests
    might be just 600 visitors.

    >What will tell the truth, is the bandwidth. Excuse me, usage meter.
    >If that shows extremely low then there is no way you had 12k hits.


    Where do you get the phrase 'usage meter' from? Anyway the bandwidth
    is up there for you to see, just under 37 Megabytes. And search
    engines use bandwidth as well so what exactly is your point?

    Steve

    --
    "My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you,
    I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>
     
    Steve Pugh, Jan 22, 2004
    #5
  6. T.J.

    T.J. Guest

    "Steve Pugh" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > "Richard" <anonymous@127.000> wrote:
    > > T.J. wrote:


    <Snipped>
    Thank you to all who replied.
     
    T.J., Jan 23, 2004
    #6
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Andrija
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    822
    William Ryan
    Oct 5, 2003
  2. Darrel
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    688
    Kevin Spencer
    Nov 11, 2004
  3. Wael Soliman

    ASP.NET Reading problem (reading .xls)

    Wael Soliman, Jan 3, 2005, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    4,808
    =?Utf-8?B?dmluYXk=?=
    Jan 3, 2005
  4. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    798
  5. Karim Ali

    Reading a file and resuming reading.

    Karim Ali, May 25, 2007, in forum: Python
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    381
    Hrvoje Niksic
    May 25, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page