readline.dll problem

haldane

I am using U.Nakamura's mswin32 Ruby 1.8.0. When I installed it and
tried to use irb, I got an error "readline.dll not found". (Irb works
fine once you ok the message.) Chris Morris has previously noted this
in this list (ruby-talk#76180,
http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/76180),
and was kind enough to email me the required dll.

However, although the error message goes away once the dll is
installed, I am now unable to write certain characters from my
Swedish/Finnish keyboard. Any characters accessed using Alt Gr do not
work. These include $,{,[,] and }, so it becomes rather difficult to
write any useful ruby!

I get the same issue with the readline.dll provided with ActiveScript
Ruby.

Does anyone know anything about this problem - what is readline.dll
used for and is there any way to pass configuration to it to accept
the kind of keyboard I have?

Thanks

Stephen.
+- S.D.Sykes - http://www.stephensykes.com

Chris Morris

Another readline.dll annoyance I have -- with ruby 1.6 on w2k, my
command history would be carried over between irb sessions, which was
rather handy at times. Now that readline.dll is used with 1.8, that's no
longer the case.

Why does 1.8 even use this .dll when things worked better before without
it (at least on w2k)?

WATANABE Hirofumi

Hi,

Chris Morris said:
Another readline.dll annoyance I have -- with ruby 1.6 on w2k, my
command history would be carried over between irb sessions, which was
rather handy at times. Now that readline.dll is used with 1.8, that's no
longer the case.

Try irb --noreadline, if you want the old behavior.