ReadOnly DropDown and other HTML controls

Tiësto

Hi guys!

Users of the web application I'm working on have said they don't like the
visual effect that DISABLED property sets on controls. You know, the
chiselled style.

So now I have to look forward other kind of solution, so the users cannot
modify the content or selection until I let them. The problem is that there
isn't a common READONLY property for all controls. Actually, only input
type=text will let me use that property. I need to emulate this behavior for
these tags:

CheckBoxes: I found that onclick="return false;" will work, though
it's not what I like.
RadioButtons: Can't get them to work neither with scripts, nor with
properties.
DropDown and ListBoxex (SELECT tag) Any Idea?

If you have passed through this, please drop me a line. Please remember I
can't use disabled property.

Thanks a lot!

bruce barker

for readonly controls, i render them as literals instead, (with a disabled
style). for checkboxs / radio i output the appropriate gif. if you subclass
the controls its easy to add a readonly property. you can store the values
in viewstate or a hidden field.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

| Hi guys!
|
| Users of the web application I'm working on have said they don't like the
| visual effect that DISABLED property sets on controls. You know, the
| chiselled style.
|
| So now I have to look forward other kind of solution, so the users cannot
| modify the content or selection until I let them. The problem is that
there
| isn't a common READONLY property for all controls. Actually, only input
| type=text will let me use that property. I need to emulate this behavior
for
| these tags:
|
| CheckBoxes: I found that onclick="return false;" will work, though
| it's not what I like.
| RadioButtons: Can't get them to work neither with scripts, nor with
| properties.
| DropDown and ListBoxex (SELECT tag) Any Idea?
|
| If you have passed through this, please drop me a line. Please remember I
| can't use disabled property.
|
| Thanks a lot!

Tiësto

I've proposed that approach, but it'd involve an unnacceptable amount of
work, al least for the moment.