ReadOnlyException while trying to update a subquery column using TableAdapter

Bogdan

Hi,

I've been struggling subqueries/joins and table adapters for some time and
can't find a clear answer.

I have a stored procedure that returns columns from 2 tables. Two columns
from the second table are returned by subquery. All this is done in a
stored procedure.

I also have a stored procedure that takes most of the params from the select
proc and updates both tables.

The problem is that columns from the second table (i.e. from a subquery)
seem to be read-only in the auto-generated table adapter.

I'm stuck and don't really know how to proceed. It seems like an extremely
simple thing to do outside of asp.net. Unfortunately I'm relatively new to
asp.net and not quite sure how to deal with it.

So, how do I pass parameters to the stored procedure that updates both
tables?

I'd appreciate _any_ suggestions.
Thanks,
Bogdan

George Ter-Saakov

As a general rule you should not be updating queries that are results of
Join operation...
Instead issue UPDATE command yourself...

Actually that is how it works behind the scene anyway.

George.

Bogdan

Thanks for the reply. Could you please explain what you meant by "issue
UPDATE command yourself..."?

Thanks,
Bogdan

George Ter-Saakov

I mean if you need to update record in the database just do something like
(psedocode)
con.Execute("UPDATE table SET field1 = 10 WHERE id=5")

Something like that....

George.