REAL AUDIO PROBLEMS

Discussion in 'HTML' started by bradley_d_watkins@hotmail.com, Sep 25, 2006.

  1. Guest

    <object id="RVOCX" classid="clsid:CFCDAA03-8BE4-11CF-B84B-0020AFBBCCFA"
    width="320" height="240">

    <param name="src"
    value="http://www.filelodge.com/files/room38/1074126/music/FriendMusic.rpm">

    <param name="autostart" value="true">

    <param name="controls" value="ImageWindow">

    <param name="console" value="video">

    <param name="maintainaspect" value="true">

    Hi

    I am a new user to using streaming audio....and have tried to perform
    the following snippet of code to stream a real audio file (*.ra).

    What I do is call a *.rpm file which then calls a *.ra file.

    I heard you need to call a *.rpm file if you embed a real file and call
    a *.ram file if you want an application to run the file...

    Something is wrong with the following code below and I cant spot the
    mistake....

    Any input would be appreciated!!!

    Thanks
    Brad

    <embed
    src="http://www.filelodge.com/files/room38/1074126/music/FriendMusic.rpm?embed"
    type="audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin" controls="ImageWindow" width="320"
    height="240" nojava="true" console="video" autostart="true"
    maintainaspect="true" />

    </object>

    <!-- This object/embed pair contains the playback information -->
    <object id="RVOCX" classid="clsid:CFCDAA03-8BE4-11CF-B84B-0020AFBBCCFA"
    width="320" height="36">

    <param name="controls" value="ControlPanel">

    <param name="console" value="video">

    <embed
    src="http://www.filelodge.com/files/room38/1074126/music/FriendMusic.rpm?embed"
    type="audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin" controls="ControlPanel" width="320"
    height="36" nojava="true" console="video" />

    </object>
    , Sep 25, 2006

    Hi

    Sorry this came out a bit mixed up...here it is again....

    , Sep 25, 2006
  4. cwdjrxyz Guest

    wrote:
    > <object id="RVOCX" classid="clsid:CFCDAA03-8BE4-11CF-B84B-0020AFBBCCFA"
    > width="320" height="240">
    >
    > <param name="src"
    > value="http://www.filelodge.com/files/room38/1074126/music/FriendMusic.rpm">
    >
    > <param name="autostart" value="true">
    >
    > <param name="controls" value="ImageWindow">
    >
    > <param name="console" value="video">
    >
    > <param name="maintainaspect" value="true">
    >
    > Hi
    >
    > I am a new user to using streaming audio....and have tried to perform
    > the following snippet of code to stream a real audio file (*.ra).
    >
    > What I do is call a *.rpm file which then calls a *.ra file.
    >
    > I heard you need to call a *.rpm file if you embed a real file and call
    > a *.ram file if you want an application to run the file...
    >
    > Something is wrong with the following code below and I cant spot the
    > mistake....
    >
    > Any input would be appreciated!!!

    I took a look at the site that is offering the free download of the
    audio file. However, after finding that Firefox blocked a popup on the
    page and that the source code had a reference to ad.doubleclick.com in
    it, I decided I did not want to download anything from that site. It
    seems that the site wants to give you a small amount of web space, and
    the audio download is a freebe. Very little in this world is fully
    free, and I suspect that the cost of using this site could be to load
    you up with adware and hopefully nothing worse. I may be completely
    wrong, but I find it much better to be safe than sorry.

    What you are attempting to do is a fairly common method for using an
    embedded audio or video. It uses an ActiveX object that works mainly on
    IE browsers. The embed path within the AX object is taken by most
    browsers that do not support AX. The use of the embed tag is invalid
    W3C html, but works on most non AX browsers. There are other object
    codes that will work on most browsers that do not require embed and
    often not AX either. There are 2 basic ways of streaming. The first is
    progressive download and it used by most who do not own a special
    streaming media server. Done right, audio starts shortly after the
    download begins. For example, you store the large audio or video file
    which might be a .rm on an ordinary html server. Then you call it with
    a .ram, rpm, or one or two other formats. These are sometimes called
    redirector files, but they are also Real play list files that may
    contain URLs of from one to many media files that the Real player can
    use. For instance you could include Real audio and video files, Windows
    media audio files, wav, midi, etc files on the playlist. A streaming
    server is called by code somewhat different from that used for
    progressive download.

    In case you wish to play with this subject more, I have some .rm files
    on my site and some examples of how they are played. These have no
    uninvited guests attached to them. Let me know here if you want the
    URLs of some of these.

    Of course if you want to put Real media on your site, you need to
    create a .rm first and store it on your server. Such files are very
    long, and it is not very nice to link to them on sites of others unless
    they know about it and allow you to do so. Real has a free encoder that
    you can download to convert wav and a few other formats to .rm format
    at a sample rate suited for broadband, or dialup. If you use a very
    high broadband sample rate, on progressive download there will be a
    very long delay for buffering before the audio starts on a slow dialup
    connections. Some offer more than one download rate if they expect both
    broadband and dialup users.
    cwdjrxyz, Sep 26, 2006