Real Java Interview Questions

Arne Vajhøj

Lew said:
Funny, but not 100% true.

Consultants and contractors have a lot of practice. People who've been
real useful would, too, because good "interview skills" means to be
personable, knowledgeable and committed to the well-being of your client.

We are talking about programmers and not sales people !?!?

A lot of good programmers are not very good at selling themselves.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

Lew said:
If all you have written is code for work, you probably aren't the best
candidate for the job. The best programmers don't put down their
keyboards when they go home.

The favored candidate will say, "I have samples up on sourceforge - I
wrote the Blazky module for the Frogovia project."

Or at least be able to point to some code out in the public, preferably
with an article or series of articles or blogs that establish them as a
presence in the development noosphere.

If two candidates of seemingly similar skill present themselves, the
boss will probably be more impressed with the one who has been
publishing programs and articles, and who keeps studying and perfecting
their craft during "off" hourse, over one who closes up shop at 5:17 PM.

"Can we see some work you've done?" is a perfectly reasonable question,
and the best candidates will have a rich portfolio for the client to
review.

If you are looking for 25 year old junior programmers - yes.

But as people get older they get family obligations.

And as they get more demanding jobs they have less surplus
of energy for the fun stuff.

And as they get more important for the company the chance
that the company lawyers will let them publicize anything
becomes smaller.

Arne

Sabine Dinis Blochberger

Lew said:
Travis James wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted

Andrew has the best interview skills here.

If all you have written is code for work, you probably aren't the best
candidate for the job. The best programmers don't put down their keyboards
when they go home.
Even if you only have enough time for shower, dinner and sleep?

I like programming but it's not my calling I guess. People vary.
The favored candidate will say, "I have samples up on sourceforge - I wrote
the Blazky module for the Frogovia project."
Hm, that could also mean the person is putting all their intellektual
efforts into their own projects, rather than the companys.
Or at least be able to point to some code out in the public, preferably with
an article or series of articles or blogs that establish them as a presence in
the development noosphere.
Sounds like someone with a Masters degree or similar. You sure you can
pay that person? said:
If two candidates of seemingly similar skill present themselves, the boss will
probably be more impressed with the one who has been publishing programs and
articles, and who keeps studying and perfecting their craft during "off"
hourse, over one who closes up shop at 5:17 PM.
Someone with personal projects (programming or not) will more likely
leave the workplace on time.
"Can we see some work you've done?" is a perfectly reasonable question, and
Yes, no contest on that.
the best candidates will have a rich portfolio for the client to review.
In these days of 40+ hour weeks I wonder who has time (or willingness)
to build a "rich portfolio" of (working) source code.
The savvy ones ask open-ended questions designed to get you to reveal
yourself, not merely to check off a buzzword on their list.
I found the job has nearly nothing to do with what you talk about in the
interview anyway. But then I live in a bizarro country. <g>

Patricia Shanahan

Lew wrote:
If all you have written is code for work, you probably aren't the best
candidate for the job. The best programmers don't put down their
keyboards when they go home.

For the first few years of my career, I only needed to work a normal
week, and could do other things like getting my master's degree in the
evening.

However, for the last decade or so before I went back to school, I was
in technical leadership jobs where there was far too much to do.

Even so, I managed to keep up with self-education to the point that when
I started graduate school as a Ph.D. student I was able to keep up with
very smart people with recent degrees.

Are you saying that, in addition to a more than full time job and
continuing self-education I should have taken on another, unpaid
programming job in the evenings?

Patricia

Lew

Sabine said:
Someone with personal projects (programming or not) will more likely
leave the workplace on time.

Is that a bad thing?

By the very definition of "on time" I would think that that is a good thing.

Lew

Patricia said:
Lew wrote:

For the first few years of my career, I only needed to work a normal
week, and could do other things like getting my master's degree in the
evening.

However, for the last decade or so before I went back to school, I was
in technical leadership jobs where there was far too much to do.

Even so, I managed to keep up with self-education to the point that when
I started graduate school as a Ph.D. student I was able to keep up with
very smart people with recent degrees.

Are you saying that, in addition to a more than full time job and
continuing self-education I should have taken on another, unpaid
programming job in the evenings?

No.

Sabine Dinis Blochberger

Lew said:
Is that a bad thing?
Not when using common sense, you'd think.
By the very definition of "on time" I would think that that is a good thing.
Me too. But some employers tend to think that the hours per week
specified in your contract are "a bare minimum" and leaving on time
makes you a bad salary slave - I mean employee ;)

I mentioned it because interviewers/companies will want an employee to
put their maximum into the company, time included. Well, it seems we're
getting back to it these days, anyway (giving away the free time,
holidays and workers rights in general our grandparents/parents fought
for).

Lew

Sabine said:
Not when using common sense, you'd think.

Me too. But some employers tend to think that the hours per week
specified in your contract are "a bare minimum" and leaving on time
makes you a bad salary slave - I mean employee ;)

I mentioned it because interviewers/companies will want an employee to
put their maximum into the company, time included. Well, it seems we're
getting back to it these days, anyway (giving away the free time,
holidays and workers rights in general our grandparents/parents fought
for).

And died for. Worker rights were won through actual physical battles where
people were injured and killed.

Smart programmers know how to get the job done during the work day.