    Is there a way to implement a true random number generator with VHDL ?

    Thanks
    BarNash
    BarNash, Aug 20, 2009

  2. BarNash

    sleeman Guest

    On Aug 20, 7:22 am, "BarNash" <> wrote:
    > Hi all
    >
    > Is there a way to implement a true random number generator with VHDL ?
    >
    > Thanks
    > BarNash

    No. Best you can do it find numbers you're happy with elsewhere: a
    file, an internet connection, a diode-based random bit generator, and
    try to hack something together so that a VHDL testbench can pull them
    in.

    - Kenn
    sleeman, Aug 20, 2009

  3. BarNash

    Tricky Guest

    On Aug 20, 1:20 pm, sleeman <> wrote:
    > On Aug 20, 7:22 am, "BarNash" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi all

    > > Is there a way to implement a true random number generator with VHDL ?

    > > Thanks
    > > BarNash

    > No.  Best you can do it find numbers you're happy with elsewhere: a
    > file, an internet connection, a diode-based random bit generator, and
    > try to hack something together so that a VHDL testbench can pull them
    > in.
    >
    >  - Kenn

    VHDL has a pseudo random number generator, but you can only use it in
    testbenches. The function uniform() in the math_real package generates
    random real values between 0 and 1. You can convert these into
    anything you want.

    As for random numbers on hardware - there is NO easy way to generate
    them without specific phisical hardware. You can normally generate
    pseudo random numbers with LFSRs. I have heard of one method that
    registers a clock several times across long distances around an FPGA -
    and that can normally be good enough as a random number generator, but
    Ive never implemented it myself.
    Tricky, Aug 20, 2009
  4. BarNash

    Symon Guest

    No, but google for :-
    random webcam smoke alarm
    for details on how to make a true random number generator for a few $. :)
    Cheers, Syms.

    Symon, Aug 20, 2009