Real Time Data Visualisation (Charts & Gauges) using ASP.NET

Martin Hughes

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice.

I am looking to develop an ASP.NET application that will enable several workstations to access real time telemetry data received from a vehicle on a track.

The data flow would be as follows:

|-- Workstation 1
|-- Workstation 2
From Car <--[2 Way Radio Link]--> Server-|-- Workstation 3
|-- Workstation 4
|-- Workstation n

The workstations would be running the same web application which would enable them to set up one or more "views", with graphs, gauges, and other visual components, as well as controls that would enable them to change setting on the vehicle (which would be sent back to the car through the server).

The server would also log everything to a database so that engineers have access to all the parameters at any time after the fact.

Cananyone recommend any components for charts and gauges that would enable this "real time" (and it must be real time) visualisation. I was looking at dundas charts and gauge but the update rate is very slow (I think because they use images to update).

I want to keep this as an ASP.NET application, so theoretically anyone could access the data in real time over the internet, whether they are at the circuit or 6,000 miles away at the team base.

Many thanks for any recommendations!

Martin Hughes

sloan

See:
http://www.dotnetcharting.com/

There are 2 different "rates" that you're talking about.

The rate to get data out of the datastore (usually a database).
The rate to render the data.

You also want to seperate the code which gets the data (datalayer) from the code whichs presents it ( presentation layer, dotnetcharting for example).

Take a look at
5/24/2006
Custom Objects/Collections and Tiered Development
http://sholliday.spaces.live.com/blog/

That will show you "layered" or "tiered" development.
It will also allow you to time the 2 rates your speaking of, without mixing the two.

Above is what I'd consider the "read only" part of your solution.

The "getting data back to the car". Hmmmm. I'm not an expert on setting gauges on a remote device.
Someone else will have to chime in.

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice.

I am looking to develop an ASP.NET application that will enable several workstations to access real time telemetry data received from a vehicle on a track.

The data flow would be as follows:

|-- Workstation 1
|-- Workstation 2
From Car <--[2 Way Radio Link]--> Server-|-- Workstation 3
[...]

http://www.dotnetcharting.com/gauge_dial_charts.aspx

Very "car-ish".

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice.

I am looking to develop an ASP.NET application that will enable several workstations to access real time telemetry data received from a vehicle on a track.

The data flow would be as follows:

|-- Workstation 1
|-- Workstation 2
From Car <--[2 Way Radio Link]--> Server-|-- Workstation 3
[...]

Thank you! I'll take a look at those links.

Martin
[...]

From Car <--[2 Way Radio Link]--> Server-|-- Workstation 3
[...]

Here is a "free" way. But very basic.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/02/02/ASPDraw/

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice.

I am looking to develop an ASP.NET application that will enable several workstations to access real time telemetry data received from a vehicle on a track.

The data flow would be as follows:

|-- Workstation 1
|-- Workstation 2
From Car <--[2 Way Radio Link]--> Server-|-- Workstation 3
[...]

Dundas Gauge can be configured to stream a Flash interface instead of the slower image updating you were talking about.
I'd suggest trying that before giving up on Dundas.
Here's more info:
http://SteveOrr.net/reviews/DundasGauge.aspx

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr,

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice.

I am looking to develop an ASP.NET application that will enable several workstations to access real time telemetry data received from a vehicle on a track.

The data flow would be as follows:

|-- Workstation 1
|-- Workstation 2
From Car <--[2 Way Radio Link]--> Server-|-- Workstation 3
[...]

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the link to your review.

I do really like Dundas products - I have used their charts for WinForms before, so I am of course reluctant to give up on them totally.

As far as the Flash streaming goes - how responsive is it? The samples I have seen can be a little sluggish to say the least... For this kind of thing (ie telemetry monitoring) as soon as something happens (and the data is received) it needs to show up - I guess the chart almost needs to "scroll" as data is received...

On that note, we are looking at creating a WinForms app to run on the local area network machines, as well as the WebForms app for remote monitoring. Using WinForms will let us do a lot more heavy processing on the client machine. Of course that will be another development budget...

Nothing has been finalised yet, but we are looking closely at both WinForms and WebForms apps to work out the best way to proceed.

Cheers!

Martin

Dundas Gauge can be configured to stream a Flash interface instead of the slower image updating you were talking about.
I'd suggest trying that before giving up on Dundas.
Here's more info:
http://SteveOrr.net/reviews/DundasGauge.aspx

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr,
MCSD, MVP, CSM, ASPInsider
http://SteveOrr.net

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice.

I am looking to develop an ASP.NET application that will enable several workstations to access real time telemetry data received from a vehicle on a track.

The data flow would be as follows:

|-- Workstation 1
|-- Workstation 2
From Car <--[2 Way Radio Link]--> Server-|-- Workstation 3
[...]

Thanks Sloan, that looks very good.

As you said though, it is very basic (telemetry engineers tend to like pretty pictures... :-D )

Cheers!

Martin

Here is a "free" way. But very basic.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/02/02/ASPDraw/

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice.

I am looking to develop an ASP.NET application that will enable several workstations to access real time telemetry data received from a vehicle on a track.

The data flow would be as follows:

|-- Workstation 1
|-- Workstation 2
From Car <--[2 Way Radio Link]--> Server-|-- Workstation 3
[...]

If you do this, then it is VERY IMPORTANT to have a strong data layer, and biz layer in your design.

This is to avoid rewriting the same code in the 2 presentation layers.

Write your data validation routines in the biz layer.
Have all objects/collections......defined , created/populated in the biz layer.

[...]

From Car <--[2 Way Radio Link]--> Server-|-- Workstation 3
[...]

Here's another product you might want to investigate:
http://www.idashboards.com/

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr,

[...]

From Car <--[2 Way Radio Link]--> Server-|-- Workstation 3
[...]

Apologies for the delay in replying - I have been abroad for 5 days...

Thanks for the link Steve. I will look into it.

[...]

From Car <--[2 Way Radio Link]--> Server-|-- Workstation 3