Reality check: Is it sensible to link XML nodes to other XML nodes in the same file?

gavnosis

I've got a whole list of descriptions of stages in a production process,
which are organised as a sequence of steps, with some branching (i.e. a sort
of flow chart)... and thought I'd try and get with the times and model the
data using XML!

I'm hoping I'll eventually be able to display each 'step' (node) on it's own
Web page, and show what link comes next. Is this a sensible thing to attempt
to do?

If so, how do I link to other nodes in the XML file? Should the <link> be to
another node's <id>? And will each node need a 'friendly' <name>, too?

(As you've probably gathered, this is all quite new to me...)

Any advice or examples would be gratefully received.

Gavnosis