really dumb error but it's stumped me

Joe Nine

Thomas said:
Joe said:
Thomas said:
Joe Nine wrote:
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
Joe Nine wrote:
There is a case where I deliberately create an iframe element with a
blank src and it doesn't [appear to] load the html into it. If it did,
then it would recurse ad-infinitum. A chain of iframe turtles all the
way down.
You realize, of course, that this a case as I described, where it makes
a lot of sense for a UA to prune the HTTP request. Still you should
not rely on that the iframe stays blank, then. So, again, do not do
this.
Unfortunately I need to do this because of this 5 year old Firefox bug:
No, you don't. You have every freedom to use a proper default value.
I'd like to use a default value I really would, but the html page that
I'm loading into the iframe wants to be fully reloaded each time the
browser is refreshed, like it deserves to be. It's an entire html page
and should be treated with respect and get fully reloaded. Firefox
doesn't treat it like that though, it doesn't fully reload the iframe.

That problem does not appear to exist in "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686;
en-US; rv:1.9.2.3) Gecko/20100404 Iceweasel/3.6.3 (like Firefox/3.6.3)
GTB7.0" anymore. In any event, I find it unlikely that using a default
empty string is necessary or sufficient to work around this problem.

Well, I'm happy with the solution. It works for me.
You should also stop talking about technical entities as if they were
people. It makes you look a bit naive. There is also no `html page', there
is an _HTML_ _document_.

I like to give them some personality. I don't want to be cold and
abstract to them. HTML pages have feelings too :) The W3 refer to HTML
pages here: http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Guide/
And please stop quoting my signature.

PointedEars

I haven't quoted your sig. Thunderbird automatically removes it when I
hit reply.