really newbie: http & sockets

Tor Iver Wilhelmsen

Basically I am newbie in Java. I know only the syntax but almost nothing of
the API.
But I have only one month to create a IRC Client with advertisements as Java
Applet...

Um, it will take you at least one month alone to learn to use the
language properly...
I have only Java Tutorial & J2SE API from www.java.sun.com
Are enough?

You also need docs for the IRC protocol, e.g. read the two documents
here:

ftp://ftp.irc.org/irc/docs/rfc2810.txt
ftp://ftp.irc.org/irc/docs/rfc2812.txt

Manish Jethani

Tor said:
Um, it will take you at least one month alone to learn to use the
language properly...

Which proves that Java is not suitable for your task. Whoever
told you that you could learn Java in a few days? Java is for
advanced programmers.

Consider using Python instead. You can learn most of the
language in 3-5 days, and there's tons of APIs out there.
You might never come back to Java :p

If this is for Windows, it's also possible to create native
executables for Windows (don need no JRE).

Bruce Eckel, author of "Thinking in C++" and "Thinking in Java",
has plenty of opinion on Python:

http://www.artima.com/intv/tipping.html

See you on comp.lang.python

-Manish

Guest

Basically I am newbie in Java. I know only the syntax but almost nothing
of
Which proves that Java is not suitable for your task. Whoever
told you that you could learn Java in a few days? Java is for
advanced programmers.

I 'salut' you guru of Java
Consider using Python instead. You can learn most of the
language in 3-5 days, and there's tons of APIs out there.
You might never come back to Java :p

Stop me ;-P
If this is for Windows, it's also possible to create native
executables for Windows (don need no JRE).

They need it in java applet, so ...I learn