    JAR is ZIP?

    Can I compress all of my classes & files into a zip and rename it to JAR and
    then run it?
    Guest, Jul 27, 2003

  2. dhek bhun kho, Jul 27, 2003

    Alex Buell Guest

    On Sun, 27 Jul 2003, <- Chameleon -> wrote:

    > JAR is ZIP?
    >
    > Can I compress all of my classes & files into a zip and rename it to JAR and
    > then run it?

    No.

    --
    http://www.munted.org.uk

    Telephone: A clever device by which two people in different places can
    mutually admire each other's total inability to say anything coherent
    Alex Buell, Jul 27, 2003
  4. Hello Alex,
    Alex Buell <>, Sun, 27 Jul 2003 15:42:00 +0100:

    > On Sun, 27 Jul 2003, <- Chameleon -> wrote:
    >
    >> JAR is ZIP?
    >>
    >> Can I compress all of my classes & files into a zip and rename it to JAR and
    >> then run it?

    > No.

    I refute that, that's bollocks. The JAR file format is the same as the ZIP file format,
    with the 'added value' that you can add a META-INF directory to store
    metadata. If you just zip everything you can still use it as a jar.

    Greets
    Bhun.
    dhek bhun kho, Jul 27, 2003

    Alex Buell Guest

    On Sun, 27 Jul 2003, dhek bhun kho wrote:

    > >> Can I compress all of my classes & files into a zip and rename it to
    > >> JAR and then run it?

    > > No.

    > I refute that, that's bollocks. The JAR file format is the same as the
    > ZIP file format, with the 'added value' that you can add a META-INF
    > directory to store metadata. If you just zip everything you can still
    > use it as a jar.

    Of course you're quite right.

    Alex Buell, Jul 27, 2003

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 16:46:42 +0300, "<- Chameleon ->"
    <> wrote or quoted :

    >Can I compress all of my classes & files into a zip and rename it to JAR and
    >then run it?

    you use the jar utility, which also creates a manifest entry. Winzip
    won't. Winzip despite repeated requests still refuses to acknowledge
    jar files as archives. It will treat them as such though if you
    search with the *.* option.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Jul 28, 2003

    Jon A. Cruz Guest

    dhek bhun kho wrote:

    > I refute that, that's bollocks. The JAR file format is the same as the ZIP file format,
    > with the 'added value' that you can add a META-INF directory to store
    > metadata. If you just zip everything you can still use it as a jar.

    *If* you get the manifest right.

    It's not as tricky as it used to be, but is a bit of a problem.

    So, with the manifest info, that original "No" is technically correct.
    Jon A. Cruz, Jul 28, 2003