Realy weird Atlas licence: Is it free or not?

Justin Kadima

For a couple of weeks we are researching on ASP.NET compatible Ajax
frameworks, in order to incorporate one of them in a commercial product that
we are going to launch(and sell) by the end of the year.

Of course one of those frameworks is Atlas. It's the most interesting one
actually of all, but we are a little confused about the Atlas's license.

What is this Go live license mean?

On the web site, as you might see for yourself by following the link
http://ajax.asp.net/default.aspx?tabid=47 , it says "free framework", but
by reading the license file we've found something weird:

2. TERM. The term of this agreement is until September 1, 2007, or
commercial release of the software, whichever is first.

What happens after 1 September 2007?

What happens with the products that by that date are already using the
current release of Atlas?

So basically the question is:

Is Atlas free or not and can we use it in a commercial product, not
worrying that after a couple of month will found out that is no longer free
and have to by licenses from Microsoft for every product that we sold?

Thanks,

Teemu Keiski

Hi,

first of all, Atlas is going to be released before the end of this year. The
date stuff is used to handle legally that you need to update to the latest
version when it becomes available, e.g that the eula expires in either case.
Go-Live licensing is to make it possible to go production with technology
which isn't finished yet.

As far as I know, Atlas is free