rearrange the order of items in a control ?

hazz

is there a way to have a re-arrangeable list with an asp.net control ?

I would like to have a list of database table column values in an ordered
list initially loaded by their column order in the table

HOWEVER

have the ability to use an arrow or some mechanism to rearrange the order of
the columns so that when a report is created, the columns will be in that
new order.

Some users may want to see the first name as the beginning column of a
report but some may not really care about it. In fact I have to have a
checkbox 'select all -deselect all columns' capability to determine which
columns even end up in the report.

Thank you,
-Greg

Guest

You can dynamically add columns to a databound control, such as a gridview a,
if that's what you are asking. You use something like
GridView.Columns.Add(DataControlField field); you can then ask the user what
order the fields should apear and programatically create them at run time in
that order.

hazz

Thank you. The only way I can think of is to use textboxes and have the user
manually put numbers in text boxes and use that info..But I can see problems
if they put in duplicate numbers, etc. I guess drag and drop or arrows that
move the whole line up in order (from top to bottom) could only be done with
Winforms..or tricky javascript-dom-html tricks. -greg