Reasonably priced C11 standard?

Keith Thompson

James Kuyper said:
On 02/13/2012 07:58 AM, Nick Keighley wrote:

So the implementor didn't have (or wasn't willing to give you) a copy of
the documenting listing that implementation's choice on matters that are
implementation-defined? Did you have any leverage to insist on getting
such a document (assuming it even existed)?

Especially consider that the sent you a copy of the document
(on paper?) that explicitly requires the implementation to be
accompanied by such documentation (last paragraph of section 4 in
all three released ISO C standards).

[...]

Keith Thompson

Nick Keighley said:
that wouldn't tell you /what/ had changed

No, it wouldn't. If anything at all has changed, it's not the standard,
and in most cases that's all you need to know.

Jorgen Grahn

.
The only copy of the C++ standard I've ever seen is one I paid for
myself. It's worrying the number of old editions of Stroustrup you see
in work places. The language changed significantly enough that these
are actually wrong.

I recently found the Annotated C++ Reference Manual (1990) at work.
Flipped it open, and found a Post-it with a warning message on the
title page. My memory is short; I wrote that Post-it myself last time
I saw the book lying around.

A previous coworker used a pre-ANSI edition K&R to prop up his
monitor. It felt wrong, but I guess I wouldn't want to see him use it
as a reference either.

/Jorgen

Fritz Wuehler

Patrick Scheible said:
It certainly does, but where should the ISO's budget come from?

We also pay member dues to add insult to injury! In addition they get
government grants and and sponsorships from members and they sell
publications related to their own programs (not any specific standard).

Kaz Kylheku

If the sales of standard should only cover the costs of distribution,
who do you think should pay the costs of developing the standards in the
first place?

Those who make a hobby of screwing up the language should pay for the cost,
and be held liable for the damages.