Rebol Size

Discussion in 'Python' started by Rodrigo Benenson, Aug 25, 2003.

  1. www.rebol.com

    Rebol offers a free (non-opensource) platform to devellop internet enabled
    application.
    It is a modern scripting language with objects, a huge list of base types
    and a very very clean syntax. It is full multiplaftorm.
    Rebol is able to manage 14 internet protocols (http, ftp, dns, finger,
    whois, pop, smtp, etc...) , offer data storage and reading, is able to
    manage various compression formats, various image file format (bmp, gif,
    png, jpg, etc...) and has a very very easy to use graphic interface
    construction dialect.
    His syntax allow to devellop simple dialects to extend the language on some
    specific application domains (example: there is a dialect for creating
    plots).
    As everything is internet enable is allow easy collaboration and
    comunication between clients.

    Everything until now can be rivalized by Python. My point is:

    All of the above comes the 500 Kb Rebol/View distribution !!

    (for the most common platforms)

    To do the same thing in python I would need:

    Python (>5 Mb)
    Twisted (>5 Mb)
    Imaging (>400Kb)
    -------------------
    More than 10 Mb

    Ok, python probably is a little faster and is a programming language, not a
    scripting one.

    But how to explain such a difference ?

    Rodrigo Benenson.

    Rodrigo Benenson, Aug 25, 2003

  2. Rodrigo Benenson

    Jarek Zgoda Guest

    Jarek Zgoda, Aug 27, 2003

  3. Rodrigo Benenson

    Andrew Dalke Guest

    Rodrigo Benenson:
    > Everything until now can be rivalized by Python. My point is:
    >
    > All of the above comes the 500 Kb Rebol/View distribution !!

    > To do the same thing in python I would need:

    > More than 10 Mb

    > But how to explain such a difference ?

    That 10MB includes many things not present in Rebol.
    Eg, both Python and Twisted provide different types
    of web servers (not sure about Rebol, but I think it's
    client-oriented). Twisted also includes a web app
    development system (Woven). What feature of PIL
    exceed those of Rebol?

    How small could you make a Python distribution and
    still include the functionality you need? I would hazard
    to say quite a bit.

    Andrew

    Andrew Dalke, Aug 27, 2003
  4. Rodrigo Benenson wrote:

    > Rebol is not great or unique due of his features. It is cool because it is
    > truly deployable. Everyone can download 500 kb and start playing with tiny
    > scripts.

    I think tiny is the key word here. As you point it out Rebol
    seems to want to be a small, and simple language doing a little
    bit of everything that can be quickly deployed and can run tiny
    scripts anywhere. And if that is what you need don't fret about
    it use Rebol. On the other hand, you might find that the
    simplicity of the language greatly constrains what you can
    do and the language does not scale up toward more complex,
    not so tiny scripts.

    > Actually I'm develloping a collaborative editor using Python and Twisted.
    > But it is a shine to distribute it (10 Mb downloads, with dependencies,
    > scarry....).
    >
    > As python do not compile machine language and Twisted is huge, it is very
    > difficult to distribute real word applications in python.

    I'm not an expert in Twisted but I would guess that if you find
    that Rebol can replace Twisted than you didn't even need Twisted
    in the first place and you could have used Python just by itself.

    Python supports a whole lot of internet protocols right out
    of the box just as Rebol does. I'd be surprised if there was
    a protocol in Rebol that would not have a corresponding simple
    and very small python module

    But, you are right, for people that do not have python there is no
    way around downloading it.

    Istvan.

    Istvan Albert, Aug 28, 2003