(Rebooting) Python Usage Statistics

Discussion in 'Python' started by Eric Snow, Feb 13, 2012.

  1. Eric Snow

    Eric Snow Guest

    The original topic got side-tracked pretty quickly (surprise,
    surprise). However, I think the question is valuable enough that it's
    worth broaching again. Notably, the first time around I did get a
    meaningful response (thanks Stefan!). If you do feel like diverging
    from the topic of gathering usage statistics, please at least change
    the subject. <wink>

    I've also started a wiki page:

    http://wiki.python.org/moin/usage_stats

    Feel free to add to it.

    --------------

    Does anyone have (or know of) accurate totals and percentages on how
    Python is used? I'm particularly interested in the following
    groupings:

    - new development vs. stable code-bases
    - categories (web, scripts, "big data", computation, etc.)
    - "bare metal" vs. on top of some framework
    - regional usage

    I'm thinking about this partly because of a discussion on python-ideas
    about [some U-word related topic <wink>]. All the rhetoric, anecdotal
    evidence, and use-cases there have little meaning to me, in regards to
    Python as a whole, without an understanding of who is actually
    affected.

    For instance, if frameworks (like django and numpy) could completely
    hide the arguable challenges of [some feature] in Python 3--and most
    projects were built on top of frameworks--then general efforts for
    making [some feature] easier in Python 3 should go toward helping
    framework writers.

    Such usage numbers help us know where efforts could be focused in
    general to make Python more powerful and easier to use where it's
    already used extensively. They can show us the areas that Python
    isn't used much, thus exposing a targeted opportunity to change that.

    Realistically, it's not entirely feasible to compile such information
    at a comprehensive level, but even generally accurate numbers would be
    a valuable resource. If the numbers aren't out there, what would some
    good approaches to discovering them? Thanks!

    -eric

    Eric Snow, Feb 13, 2012