Rebuilding and deploying DLL everytime I change a single aspx page?

dan_williams

I am working with an asp.net 1.1 web application.

Do I have to rebuild the whole application and deploy the compiled DLL
to my production server everytime I modify a single aspx page?

Is there a way to not re-compile (or rebuild) the whole application
every time a single page is modified?

We do use CVS for our version control, but there's always a doubt that
I have the latest code.
Also, the DLL is getting quite large (over 1MB) due to it using Crystal
Reports, so it's becoming a pain to copy over the DLL just when i've
fixed a bug in a small aspx page.

Ideally, i'd like to keep using code-behind files as it hides my code
and i don't want to copy the code-behind files to my production server
either. I suppose it's either or!

Anyway, any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Dan

Laurent Bugnion

Hi,

I am working with an asp.net 1.1 web application.

Do I have to rebuild the whole application and deploy the compiled DLL
to my production server everytime I modify a single aspx page?

I you modify the ASPX file itself, the CSS files, the JavaScript files,
then you do not need to recompile. If you modify anything in the
code-behind, you'll have to recompile.
Is there a way to not re-compile (or rebuild) the whole application
every time a single page is modified?

We do use CVS for our version control, but there's always a doubt that
I have the latest code.
Also, the DLL is getting quite large (over 1MB) due to it using Crystal
Reports, so it's becoming a pain to copy over the DLL just when i've
fixed a bug in a small aspx page.

Ideally, i'd like to keep using code-behind files as it hides my code
and i don't want to copy the code-behind files to my production server
either. I suppose it's either or!

Anyway, any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Dan

HTH,
Laurent

dan_williams

OK, thanks for the reply. I thought that was the case.

Are there any issues with copying over the existing DLL on our
production server with a new one? We're using a separare ASP state
process so our users sessions still remain, i just wondered if it
affected performance?

Should we restart IIS everytime we copy over a new DLL, or are we safe
to just copy it over?

Thanks again

Dan