    site, or a romantic site, or... you get the idea! :)

    What have you used and binned, or better still what have you kept?

    Thanks.

    Mike Barnard, Mar 2, 2007

  2. Mike Barnard

    jack Guest

    no need to buy one, several online for free...........

    I'll try to be back with links later :)

    jack, Mar 3, 2007

  3. Mike Barnard

    Guest

    , Mar 3, 2007
  4. Mike Barnard

    Mike Barnard Guest

    On 2 Mar 2007 18:03:28 -0800, wrote:

    >On Mar 2, 6:37 pm, Mike Barnard <>
    >wrote:
    >> Before I spend any money, what do YOU recomend as a good one? One
    >> where I can enter a start colour and get ideas for maybe a business
    >> site, or a romantic site, or... you get the idea! :)

    >Scheme Generator is one...
    >
    >http://www.wellstyled.com/tools/colorscheme2/index-en.html

    Seen that. Can't see a place to input a start colour that I may like
    and see what potential contrasts it can comeup with.

    >Another is HTML Safe Colors, but there are some neat twist links on
    >left:
    >
    >http://www.musemixer.com/HTML-HEX-Color-Chart/

    Hmm, bookmarked now thanks, but not *exactly* what I'm after.

    >IANAA (I am not an artist ;-)
    >Kev

    Nor I! :)

    Mike Barnard, Mar 4, 2007
  5. Mike Barnard

    Mike Barnard Guest

    On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 01:49:08 GMT, jack <> wrote:

    >no need to buy one, several online for free...........
    >
    >I'll try to be back with links later :)

    I'm holding my breath....

    #face{
    color: #0000ff;
    }

    Mike Barnard, Mar 4, 2007
  6. Mike Barnard

    John Hosking Guest

    Mike Barnard wrote:
    > On 2 Mar 2007 18:03:28 -0800, wrote:
    >

    >>Scheme Generator is one...
    >>
    >>http://www.wellstyled.com/tools/colorscheme2/index-en.html

    > Seen that. Can't see a place to input a start colour that I may like
    > and see what potential contrasts it can comeup with.

    Down, on the left, just above the footer, there's a link:
    "Enter RGB (rough conversion)" which produces a dialog into which you
    can enter (not RGB) hex values like FF33C6 (which then may get rounded
    to something else).

    --
    John

    John Hosking, Mar 4, 2007
  7. Mike Barnard

    Mike Barnard Guest

    On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 12:12:31 +0100, John Hosking
    <> wrote:

    >Mike Barnard wrote:
    >> On 2 Mar 2007 18:03:28 -0800, wrote:
    >>

    >>>Scheme Generator is one...
    >>>
    >>>http://www.wellstyled.com/tools/colorscheme2/index-en.html

    >> Seen that. Can't see a place to input a start colour that I may like
    >> and see what potential contrasts it can comeup with.

    >Down, on the left, just above the footer, there's a link:
    >"Enter RGB (rough conversion)" which produces a dialog into which you
    >can enter (not RGB) hex values like FF33C6 (which then may get rounded
    >to something else).

    Ah, fantastic. That tiny link has brought new life to the site!
    Thanks.

    Mike Barnard, Mar 4, 2007
  8. kdarling wrote:

    > Scheme Generator is one...
    > http://www.wellstyled.com/tools/colorscheme2/index-en.html

    I'd also recommend its predecessor:
    http://www.wellstyled.com/tools/colorscheme/index-en.html

    which I have found gives more pleasing (to me) results.

    Pixy also has this, which is pretty handy:
    http://www.wellstyled.com/tools/colorscheme/free-en.html

    And a quick plug for my own site... it's not really a colour wheel, but a
    colour mixer. Choose as many colours as you want, type them all in, and it
    will tell you the "average" colour. (Imagine mixing lots of paints
    together.)

    e.g.: average(black, white) = #7f7f7f
    e.g.: average(black, white, white) = #aaaaaa
    e.g.: average(red, yellow) = #ff7f00
    e.g.: average(green, silver, white) = #95bf95

    http://buzzword.org.uk/colours/

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Geek of ~ HTML/SQL/Perl/PHP/Python*/Apache/Linux

    * = I'm getting there!

    Toby A Inkster, Mar 4, 2007
  9. Mike Barnard wrote:

    > Hi.
    >
    > There are numerous sites that have versions of the colour wheel out
    > there. Lots of downloadable programs, charts, sites etc.
    >
    > Before I spend any money, what do YOU recomend as a good one? One
    > where I can enter a start colour and get ideas for maybe a business
    > site, or a romantic site, or... you get the idea! :)
    >
    > What have you used and binned, or better still what have you kept?

    Of my more recent discoveries, I've noticed that Adobe has one
    (requires Flash):
    http://kuler.adobe.com/

    Only downside I can think of, is that it's very visual and doesn't
    produce any color codes (not even HTML or RGB), so you'll have to pair
    it off with a color picker.

    Even so, it's pretty handy for discovering matching color schemes.

    --
    Kim André Akerø
    -

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=, Mar 4, 2007
  10. Mike Barnard

    John Hosking Guest

    Kim André Akerø wrote:

    > Of my more recent discoveries, I've noticed that Adobe has one
    > (requires Flash):
    > http://kuler.adobe.com/
    >
    > Only downside I can think of, is that it's very visual and doesn't
    > produce any color codes (not even HTML or RGB), so you'll have to pair
    > it off with a color picker.

    Actually, you can go to the Create link (where there is a set of five
    colors comprising a scheme) and under each color swatch are tables of
    values (HSV, RGB, CMYK, etc.). These tables have editable fields, so you
    can set in a hex value and see how the colors change dynamically. It
    does appear, however, that you must individually copy (ctrl+c or pencil)
    the values you want from schemes you develop.

    > Even so, it's pretty handy for discovering matching color schemes.

    Yes, interesting.

    --
    John

    John Hosking, Mar 4, 2007
  11. Mike Barnard

    Bergamot Guest

    Bergamot, Mar 6, 2007
  12. Mike Barnard

    Bergamot Guest

    Toby A Inkster wrote:
    > kdarling wrote:
    >
    >> Scheme Generator is one...
    >> http://www.wellstyled.com/tools/colorscheme2/index-en.html

    > I'd also recommend its predecessor:
    > http://www.wellstyled.com/tools/colorscheme/index-en.html
    >
    > which I have found gives more pleasing (to me) results.

    What I like about the original Color Schemer is that it lets you fine
    tune hue, saturation and lightness. V2 doesn't.

    To me, V1 would be perfect if it let you enter the starting RGB, like V2
    does.

    > http://buzzword.org.uk/colours/

    FYI, the 8em side margins on the html element don't always work very
    well, depending on font and window size. You should consider using a
    max-width and horizontally centering the content area instead.

    --
    Berg

    Bergamot, Mar 6, 2007
  13. Mike Barnard