Receive packet using socket

tspiegelman

Hey all,

I am trying to use socket to send / receive a packet (want to recreate somefunctionality of hping3 and port it to windows and mac as a tcp ping). I am having some problems with the recv functionality of socket. Below is the script I am using. I get an ack from the server (used wireshark to ensure it was working) when I run this, but the script doesn't see the ack for some reason and the script exits with this error or a timeout:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "./tcpgcmtesttristedit.py", line 21, in <module>
s.recv(1024)
socket.error: [Errno 104] Connection reset by peer

Here is the script:

import socket
import time

numberofpackets = int(raw_input("How many packets should be sent?\n> "))
hostname = 'mtalk.google.com'
port = 5228

for i in range(numberofpackets):
s.settimeout(4)
s.connect((hostname, port))
s.send('data')
start_time = time.time()
s.recv(24)
print time.time() - start_time
s.close()

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, Tom.

tspiegelman

BTW what I am trying to accomplish is easily done in hping3 using this command:
hping3 mtalk.google.com -S -p 5228

I just want those same kind of results using python so I can make an exe out of it.

Nobody

I am trying to use socket to send / receive a packet (want to recreate
some functionality of hping3 and port it to windows and mac as a tcp
ping). I am having some problems with the recv functionality of socket.
Below is the script I am using. I get an ack from the server (used
wireshark to ensure it was working) when I run this, but the script
doesn't see the ack for some reason and the script exits with this error
or a timeout:

If you're trying to send/receive individual packets, you need to use
SOCK_RAW (which normally requires root/administrator privilege).
s.recv(24)

Alternatively, if you use a normal TCP stream socket, the receiver must
consume all data which is sent to it, and only close the socket after the
writer has closed its end. Depending upon the application-layer protocol,
this may involve some form of QUIT command, or a half-close using
the .shutdown() method.