receiving ??? chars instead of "special" chars

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by M.Posseth, Nov 15, 2004.

  1. M.Posseth

    M.Posseth Guest

    Hello i have a strange problem

    i made a online catalogue and must submit orders to a remote server

    I need to connect to a remote webservice on unix platform , i must say that
    this was easier as i thought , i just set a reference to the wsdl in my
    VB.NET project and i could access the web methods

    the webmethod returns info by reference

    Debug.WriteLine(strXML)

    intSucces = shopTest.XMLExecute("test|pass", strXML, strError, intReturn)

    Debug.WriteLine("returned : " & strXML)

    well the problem is that the data that i receive from the webmethod contains
    ? (question marks )

    data send by me through test application ( data is contained in strXML)

    <onlinebestellung>
    <request>
    <cmd>ORDER</cmd>
    </request>
    <positionen>
    <artikel>
    <bestellartikelnummer>24.0110-0116.1</bestellartikelnummer>
    <bestellmenge>1</bestellmenge>
    <hersteller>ATE</hersteller>
    </artikel>
    </positionen>
    </onlinebestellung>

    returned data from the webservice ( data that is contained in strXml after
    calling the webservice )

    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1" ?>
    <positionen> <artikel>
    <status></status>
    <bestellartikelnummer>24.0110-0116.1</bestellartikelnummer>
    <bestellmenge>2</bestellmenge>
    <r??ckstandsmenge>0</r??ckstandsmenge>
    <hlka>CO</hlka>
    <lieferantenartikelnr>24.0110-0116.1-CO</lieferantenartikelnr>
    <artikelnummer>24011001161</artikelnummer>
    <artikelbezeichnung>ATE BREMSSCHEIBE VAG HA Audi 100
    2,3E</artikelbezeichnung>
    <katalognummer>24.0110-0116.1</katalognummer>
    <hauptwarengruppe>035</hauptwarengruppe>
    <warengruppe>I10</warengruppe>
    <unterwarengruppe>0631</unterwarengruppe>
    <liefermenge>2</liefermenge>
    <bestellmengenrundung>2</bestellmengenrundung>
    <h??chstbestellmenge>0</h??chstbestellmenge>
    <gewicht>6,964</gewicht>
    <alternative>T</alternative>
    <mengeneinheit>STK</mengeneinheit>
    Stck
    <oenummer></oenummer>
    <tauschteilkennz>N</tauschteilkennz>
    <mwstschl??ssel>12</mwstschl??ssel>
    <repdocmwstschl??ssel>0</repdocmwstschl??ssel>
    <bruttopreis>40,3</bruttopreis>
    <nettopreis>40,3</nettopreis>
    <rabatt1>0</rabatt1>
    <rabatt2>0</rabatt2>
    <pfandpreis>0</pfandpreis>
    <w??hrungsschl??ssel>EUR</w??hrungsschl??ssel>
    <preiseinheit>1</preiseinheit>
    <preiseinheitenfaktor>1</preiseinheitenfaktor>
    <werk>01</werk>
    <lieferwerk>01</lieferwerk>
    <inttext></inttext>
    <lieferwerk1>01</lieferwerk1>
    <liefermenge1>2</liefermenge1>
    <lieferwerk2></lieferwerk2>
    <liefermenge2>0</liefermenge2>
    <warengruppenbez>ATE Bremsscheiben</warengruppenbez>
    <eannummer></eannummer>
    <hlkabezeichnung></hlkabezeichnung>
    <artikelzustand>1</artikelzustand>
    <call></call>
    <auftragnr></auftragnr>
    <ztext></ztext>
    <staffel></staffel>
    </onlinebestellung>{FF7B6C3C-39BB-21D3-7BA5-004524E7D6D0}test{pass

    Ofcourse the problem could be in the charset but that is the strange thing
    ..NET should be Unicode ( so it should not be a problem )and the proper
    charset is set in the XML header ( it is German text wich should correspond
    to iso-8859-1)

    I call the webservice for testing purposes from a VB.NET application on a
    Windows 2000 advanced server US-EN ( all settings are US )

    i hope someone can tell me why the ?? problem occurs cause i am getting
    desperate right now :-( , ( and it started so promissing )

    Met vriendelijke groet
    Kind regards,

    Michel Posseth
    Software Developer
    Microsoft Certified Professional

    M.Posseth, Nov 15, 2004

  2. M.Posseth

    Dan Rogers Guest

    Hi Michel,

    There is not necessarily a problem with this result. The issue you are
    seeing is in coercing encoded XML into a string. Since XML is not a string
    (even though it might look like a string), the conflict in the encoding
    between the two systems (ISO-8859-1) and Unicode of the native string type
    is probably what you are seeing. To properly convert the output, you need
    to use a text reader that properly handles the encoding conversion. The
    XmlTextReader is suitable for this.

    Assuming that the sending side is properly encoding their output into 8859,
    using a encoding sensitive text reader will solve your issue.

    Best regards,

    Dan Rogers
    Microsoft Corporation
    --------------------

    Dan Rogers, Nov 15, 2004

  3. M.Posseth

    M.Posseth Guest

    Well the webmethod returns info by reference

    i am just a user of the webservice and have no more influence as passing
    the required parameters

    <CODE >

    Debug.WriteLine(strXML)

    intSucces = shopTest.XMLExecute("test|pass", strXML, strError, intReturn)

    Debug.WriteLine("returned : " & strXML)

    < /CODE >

    So strXML is actually a unicode string that is passed to the remote machine
    , there processed an returned in the same string

    So it could even be so that "they" parse the XML as a standard string

    Isn`t there a way that i can make a iso-8859-1 string and pass this as a
    parameter to the webservice

    --
    Met vriendelijke groet
    Kind regards,

    Michel Posseth

    "Dan Rogers" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Michel,
    >
    > There is not necessarily a problem with this result. The issue you are
    > seeing is in coercing encoded XML into a string. Since XML is not a

    string
    > (even though it might look like a string), the conflict in the encoding
    > between the two systems (ISO-8859-1) and Unicode of the native string type
    > is probably what you are seeing. To properly convert the output, you need
    > to use a text reader that properly handles the encoding conversion. The
    > XmlTextReader is suitable for this.
    >
    > Assuming that the sending side is properly encoding their output into

    8859,
    > using a encoding sensitive text reader will solve your issue.
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > Dan Rogers
    > Microsoft Corporation
    > --------------------
    > >From: "M.Posseth" <>
    > >Subject: receiving ??? chars instead of "special" chars
    > >Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 10:09:44 +0100
    > >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices

    cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA03.phx.gbl!cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08

    M.Posseth, Nov 16, 2004
  4. M.Posseth

    Dan Rogers Guest

    Hi Michael,

    The issue that I'd call out if I were reviewing this design is inherently
    an encoding bug. Since the returned XML signals that it is encoded in
    8859, processing that string (converted to a string by the underlying .NET
    infrastructure serializer) introduces an issue related to not removing the
    processing instruction at the start of the XML document. A second issue
    comes up in most designs that treat XML as strings for this reason.

    Would it be possible to share the WSDL for this service? It isn't clear to
    me how your test harness came to be structured this way. It certainly is
    possible to devise a RPC style (or SOAP section 5 encoded service) with
    parameters in this manner. However, I wouldn't expect the far end to send
    a complete XML document using a string in this manner. If you need to
    design the service to get an XML file, then you probably want to avoid
    using SOAP to do so and use plain old HTTP GET instead.

    From the WSDL I'll be able to tell a little more about what the service
    authors intended. It may be just one of those cases of a very poorly
    designed and implemented "web service" that isn't cross platform
    compatible. There are many many such cases, and there is little one can do
    other than file a bug. But let's see the WSDL first to get a little more
    data.

    Regards

    Dan Rogers
    Microsoft Corporation