receiving compressed data

stroumf

Hi,

Simple question, I want to receive compressed data from a server using
AJAX.
At the client I make an xmlHttpRequest. Next I want to set the
accept-header to Gzip, but I keep getting errors on that under opera.
At server-side I first check the accept-header, if it supports gzip I
make a ZIP-stream and set the content-encoding to gzip. Normaly I would
think the browser itself can handle it and give the uncompressed
response.

Clientcode (javascript):
xmlHttp = =new XMLHttpRequest();
xmlHttp.onreadystatechange = stateChange;
//don't work
xmlHttp.setRequestHeader("Accept-Encoding", "gzip");
xmlHttp.open("GET", "servlet", false);
xmlHttp.send(null);

function stateChange() {
if (xmlHttp.readyState==4 || xmlHttp.readyState=="complete") {
var response = xmlHttp.responseText;
alert(response);
var uncompressedResponse = response;
document.getElementById("code").innerHTML =
"<p>"+uncompressedResponse+"</p>";

Servercode (servlet):
response) {
String text = "sometext";
response.setContentType("text/html");
OutputStream out = null;
String encoding = request.getHeader("Accept-Encoding");
if (encoding != null && encoding.indexOf("gzip") != -1)
{
response.setHeader("Content-Encoding" , "gzip");
out = new GZIPOutputStream(response.getOutputStream());
}
else if (encoding != null && encoding.indexOf("compress") != -1)
{
response.setHeader("Content-Encoding" , "compress");
out = new ZipOutputStream(response.getOutputStream());
}
else
{
out = response.getOutputStream();
System.out.println("gewone uitvoerstroom");
}
byte[] b = text.getBytes();
out.write(b);
}

What am I doing wrong?

thx in advance

Jonas Raoni

stroumf escreveu:
At the client I make an xmlHttpRequest. Next I want to set the
accept-header to Gzip, but I keep getting errors on that under opera.
At server-side I first check the accept-header, if it supports gzip I
make a ZIP-stream and set the content-encoding to gzip. Normaly I would
think the browser itself can handle it and give the uncompressed
response.

Well, here it's working fine on Opera. My web server compression is
turned on and for the XHR request I just outputed the received headers,
the gzip was there and as I could read, the text was decompressed by the
browser.
Servercode (servlet):

If you think the problem is within your Java code, post it in a Java
newsgroup, you'll get better answers :]