Recent RubyForge downtime

Tom Copeland

Hi all -

Just wanted to post about the recent RubyForge downtime. Basically it
was a cron job mistake on my part one evening, which is fixed, and I
think it was a ViewVC problem the next time, and I'm looking into that.

I know RubyForge has been a bit spotty lately. I'm working to open up
the sysadmin job a bit to help with that. For example, Dennis Oelkers
is now getting the Nagios monitoring emails and he's got full access to
rubyforge.org so he can restart services, troubleshoot, etc.

I appreciate the emails of support and also those of "what can we do to
help" that I've been getting. I want RubyForge to be up as much as
possible, believe me. And we've been doing a lot behind the scenes to
keep things running as RubyForge continues to grow - upgrading to Apache
2.2, adding new spam filters, tweaking cronjob timing, and so forth.
Part of the problem probably stem from the fact that I simply haven't
done admin duties on a machine this busy before, so I'm learning a lot
of things for the first time. Growing pains and all that.

At any rate, please continue to report problems and slowness and
whatever and we'll continue to a) fix things as they come up and b) try
to be proactively improving things and c) keep learning how to run a big
multiuser server. RubyForge has served the Ruby community for the past
3.5 years and we plan to continue running it for Time.now + x.years,
where x is a large Fixnum.

Yours,

tom

Jeremy Wells

Hi Tom, I'd just like to say how much I appreciate the rubyforge
service, and I think that the same goes for everyone who uses ruby on a
day to day basis.

Jeremy

Vincent Fourmond

Tom said:
At any rate, please continue to report problems and slowness and
whatever and we'll continue to a) fix things as they come up and b) try
to be proactively improving things and c) keep learning how to run a big
multiuser server. RubyForge has served the Ruby community for the past
3.5 years and we plan to continue running it for Time.now + x.years,
where x is a large Fixnum.

Not a BigNum ? I'm very disappointed ;-).

Thanks for keeping rubyforge alive !

Vince

Tom Copeland

Hi Tom, I'd just like to say how much I appreciate the rubyforge
service, and I think that the same goes for everyone who uses ruby on a
day to day basis.

Many thanks! Rest assured that no one is more unhappy than I when I see
those Nagios "RubyForge down" emails; we're working through the problems
and with any luck things will be stablized soon.

Yours,

Tom