Recent RubyForge downtime

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Tom Copeland, Nov 19, 2006.

  1. Tom Copeland

    Tom Copeland Guest

    Hi all -

    Just wanted to post about the recent RubyForge downtime. Basically it
    was a cron job mistake on my part one evening, which is fixed, and I
    think it was a ViewVC problem the next time, and I'm looking into that.

    I know RubyForge has been a bit spotty lately. I'm working to open up
    the sysadmin job a bit to help with that. For example, Dennis Oelkers
    is now getting the Nagios monitoring emails and he's got full access to
    rubyforge.org so he can restart services, troubleshoot, etc.

    I appreciate the emails of support and also those of "what can we do to
    help" that I've been getting. I want RubyForge to be up as much as
    possible, believe me. And we've been doing a lot behind the scenes to
    keep things running as RubyForge continues to grow - upgrading to Apache
    2.2, adding new spam filters, tweaking cronjob timing, and so forth.
    Part of the problem probably stem from the fact that I simply haven't
    done admin duties on a machine this busy before, so I'm learning a lot
    of things for the first time. Growing pains and all that.

    At any rate, please continue to report problems and slowness and
    whatever and we'll continue to a) fix things as they come up and b) try
    to be proactively improving things and c) keep learning how to run a big
    multiuser server. RubyForge has served the Ruby community for the past
    3.5 years and we plan to continue running it for Time.now + x.years,
    where x is a large Fixnum.

    Yours,

    tom

    Tom Copeland, Nov 19, 2006

  2. Tom Copeland

    Jeremy Wells Guest

    Hi Tom, I'd just like to say how much I appreciate the rubyforge
    service, and I think that the same goes for everyone who uses ruby on a
    day to day basis.

    Jeremy

    Jeremy Wells, Nov 20, 2006

  3. Tom Copeland wrote:
    > At any rate, please continue to report problems and slowness and
    > whatever and we'll continue to a) fix things as they come up and b) try
    > to be proactively improving things and c) keep learning how to run a big
    > multiuser server. RubyForge has served the Ruby community for the past
    > 3.5 years and we plan to continue running it for Time.now + x.years,
    > where x is a large Fixnum.

    Not a BigNum ? I'm very disappointed ;-).

    Thanks for keeping rubyforge alive !

    Vince

    --
    Vincent Fourmond, PhD student
    http://vincent.fourmond.neuf.fr/

    Vincent Fourmond, Nov 20, 2006
  4. Tom Copeland

    Tom Copeland Guest

    On Mon, 2006-11-20 at 21:09 +0900, Jeremy Wells wrote:
    > Hi Tom, I'd just like to say how much I appreciate the rubyforge
    > service, and I think that the same goes for everyone who uses ruby on a
    > day to day basis.

    Many thanks! Rest assured that no one is more unhappy than I when I see
    those Nagios "RubyForge down" emails; we're working through the problems
    and with any luck things will be stablized soon.

    Yours,

    Tom

    Tom Copeland, Nov 20, 2006