    server or anything else....
    can it be done?
    Ammar

    Ammar, Jun 18, 2004

  2. Ammar

    Patrice Guest

    Processing incoming mails automatically instead of sending mails
    automatically is just less frequent.

    Try
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d.../cdosys/html/_cdosys_replying_to_messages.asp

    --

    "Ammar" <> a écrit dans le message de
    > OK guys,
    > Thanks to your help, I could finally send ASP mails with attachements...
    > A very strange question:
    > When I looked through all the sites you gave me and through Google, I got
    > the impression that everyone was trying to send e-mail through ASP, but no
    > one wrote something about building a page to RECIEVE an e-mail through a

    POP

    Patrice, Jun 18, 2004

  3. Ammar

    James Baker Guest

    > can it be done?

    Yes.

    James Baker, Jun 18, 2004
  4. Ammar

    Ammar Guest

    "James Baker" <> wrote in message
    > > can it be done?

    > Yes.

    thanks for the answer James....
    could you please tell me how?? if yo know some good website about that, i
    would be very grateful if i got it form you
    Ammar

    Ammar, Jun 18, 2004
  5. Ammar

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 15:50:30 GMT, "Ammar" <>
    wrote:

    >Thanks to your help, I could finally send ASP mails with attachements...
    >A very strange question:
    >When I looked through all the sites you gave me and through Google, I got
    >the impression that everyone was trying to send e-mail through ASP, but no
    >one wrote something about building a page to RECIEVE an e-mail through a POP
    >server or anything else....
    >can it be done?

    Sure. What exactly do you want to do with mail retrieved from a POP
    server? And does an email client not do the job for you?

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Jun 18, 2004
  6. Ammar

    Ammar Guest

    "Jeff Cochran" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 15:50:30 GMT, "Ammar" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Thanks to your help, I could finally send ASP mails with attachements...
    > >A very strange question:
    > >When I looked through all the sites you gave me and through Google, I got
    > >the impression that everyone was trying to send e-mail through ASP, but

    no
    > >one wrote something about building a page to RECIEVE an e-mail through a

    POP
    > >server or anything else....
    > >can it be done?

    > Sure. What exactly do you want to do with mail retrieved from a POP
    > server? And does an email client not do the job for you?
    >
    > Jeff

    Hi
    my question is in fact a bit more complicated than what i said...
    you know, when i try to access my web site in IIS installed in my computer,
    then i have to use my IP address, ex:
    http://212.54.89.122/start.asp
    i know that i can register a domain at a DNS server and then do some DNS
    settings so that whenever someone types the domain name, he will be
    redirected to my ip address,ex
    http://ammar.com will refer to the address above, so the user wouldnt have
    to remeber the complex ip numbers...
    but isnt there another way? cant i simply just install some program in IIS
    or in my computer so that i dont need to register a domain at a web server,
    rather that everything will be done in my computer, ex i choose the name
    http://ammar.com and input that through some softeware in my computer and
    then, voalah! anyone can access my site though that address...
    then comes the final step: if i can do that, then it would be possible to
    simply start a web based e-mail service through my computer, using ASP to
    send and recive e mails...
    so i have 2 questions in fact:
    1- can i use usual internet address to access my local web page in my
    computer wihtout registering a domain at a web server, ie can i do some
    settings locally in my computer though some software?
    2- can i receive email through ASP
    if that is possible then i would be able to start a free web based e mail
    service, just like yahoo or hotmail....
    thanks for your answer...
    Ammar

    Ammar, Jun 18, 2004
  7. Ammar

    IPT Guest

    I get what you mean.

    > 1- can i use usual internet address to access my local web page in my
    > computer wihtout registering a domain at a web server, ie can i do some
    > settings locally in my computer though some software?

    You just need to register it in your local computer. This technique is
    similar to "localhost", which points to 127.0.0.1. You can alter the
    information file at: "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts"

    > 2- can i receive email through ASP
    > if that is possible then i would be able to start a free web based e mail
    > service, just like yahoo or hotmail....

    There are many website which enable you to search for what you try to
    accomplish. There may be many things to handle when you write asp scripts
    from scretch, i.e. email format translation, handling attachment, etc.

    Nearest sites you can go are: www.devguru.com and www.planetsourcecode.com.
    Easiest would be download a component that manage this tedeous work for you,
    and write interfacing scripts only. Where to find, you may google around.

    IPT, Jun 19, 2004
  8. Ammar

    Ammar Guest

    "IPT" <> wrote in message
    > I get what you mean.
    >
    > > 1- can i use usual internet address to access my local web page in my
    > > computer wihtout registering a domain at a web server, ie can i do some
    > > settings locally in my computer though some software?

    > You just need to register it in your local computer. This technique is
    > similar to "localhost", which points to 127.0.0.1. You can alter the
    > information file at: "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts"
    >
    > > 2- can i receive email through ASP
    > > if that is possible then i would be able to start a free web based e

    mail
    > > service, just like yahoo or hotmail....

    > There are many website which enable you to search for what you try to
    > accomplish. There may be many things to handle when you write asp scripts
    > from scretch, i.e. email format translation, handling attachment, etc.
    >
    > Nearest sites you can go are: www.devguru.com and

    www.planetsourcecode.com.
    > Easiest would be download a component that manage this tedeous work for

    you,
    > and write interfacing scripts only. Where to find, you may google around.

    Thanks for the great help!
    I tired it and i can assign a name instead of the cumbersum ip address...
    but the question is:
    can anyone on the internet access my site through the name i chose? i mean
    everyone can access my site through the ip address, but can they do that now
    through the name i chose, ex http://walla.malla.com? or is this only
    functional on my local computer level, ie i through my computer only can
    access the site??
    thanks again

    Ammar, Jun 19, 2004
  9. Ammar

    IPT Guest

    For this case, only your local computer level.

    To get to higher level, you need higher level computer to record it.

    Name is transalated to IP address, by querying it through:
    1. Local Host File
    2. DNS Search List

    To satisfy your local computer need, you can modify the local host file
    (which i mentioned in earlier post).

    To satisfy global need, you need to modify (add) the DNS search list, i.e.
    register a domain name. Or, alternatively, register a free one from Dynamic
    DNS company.

    IPT, Jun 19, 2004
  10. Ammar

    Ammar Guest

    "IPT" <> wrote in message
    > For this case, only your local computer level.
    >
    > To get to higher level, you need higher level computer to record it.
    >
    > Name is transalated to IP address, by querying it through:
    > 1. Local Host File
    > 2. DNS Search List
    >
    > To satisfy your local computer need, you can modify the local host file
    > (which i mentioned in earlier post).
    >
    > To satisfy global need, you need to modify (add) the DNS search list, i.e.
    > register a domain name. Or, alternatively, register a free one from

    Dynamic
    > DNS company.
    >

    > > Thanks for the great help!
    > > I tired it and i can assign a name instead of the cumbersum ip

    address...
    > > but the question is:
    > > can anyone on the internet access my site through the name i chose? i

    mean
    > > everyone can access my site through the ip address, but can they do that

    > now
    > > through the name i chose, ex http://walla.malla.com? or is this only
    > > functional on my local computer level, ie i through my computer only

    can
    > > access the site??
    > > thanks again

    so this means that there is no way to enable a global access to my site by a
    normal internet address (not ip address) through any trick i would do in my
    computer, rather it must be a DNS domain registration...
    ie my computer can never (no matter what softwares i install) be a mini DNS
    server for my web site.
    is that right?

    Ammar, Jun 19, 2004
  11. Ammar

    IPT Guest

    Yes, you can make your computer a DNS server, but to be globally recognised,
    you need to register a domain. Otherwise, it would be only recognised by
    computers that use your DNS as their search list.

    IPT, Jun 19, 2004
  12. Ammar

    Ammar Guest

    Hi again...
    Thank you so much for the valuable information you gave me, i really
    appreciate it ITP
    Ammar

    Ammar, Jun 19, 2004
  13. Ammar

    IPT Guest

    It's my pleasure, dude. Btw, it's IPT, not ITP. It stands for my name, an
    Indonesian Chinese, working in Malaysia at the moment.

    IPT, Jun 20, 2004
  14. Ammar

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 22:51:20 GMT, "Ammar" <>
    wrote:

    >"Jeff Cochran" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 15:50:30 GMT, "Ammar" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Thanks to your help, I could finally send ASP mails with attachements...
    >> >A very strange question:
    >> >When I looked through all the sites you gave me and through Google, I got
    >> >the impression that everyone was trying to send e-mail through ASP, but

    >no
    >> >one wrote something about building a page to RECIEVE an e-mail through a

    >POP
    >> >server or anything else....
    >> >can it be done?

    >> Sure. What exactly do you want to do with mail retrieved from a POP
    >> server? And does an email client not do the job for you?
    >>
    >> Jeff

    >Hi
    >my question is in fact a bit more complicated than what i said...
    >you know, when i try to access my web site in IIS installed in my computer,
    >then i have to use my IP address, ex:
    >http://212.54.89.122/start.asp
    >i know that i can register a domain at a DNS server and then do some DNS
    >settings so that whenever someone types the domain name, he will be
    >redirected to my ip address,ex
    >http://ammar.com will refer to the address above, so the user wouldnt have
    >to remeber the complex ip numbers...
    >but isnt there another way? cant i simply just install some program in IIS
    >or in my computer so that i dont need to register a domain at a web server,
    >rather that everything will be done in my computer, ex i choose the name
    >http://ammar.com and input that through some softeware in my computer and
    >then, voalah! anyone can access my site though that address...

    No. Nobody will find your system. DNS provides name to IP
    resolution, so I type a name and the system looks for that IP. To get
    my system to understand your DNS names though, you have to register
    the domain which provides a public record of where your DNS is, so my
    system will use it to make the name conversion.

    >then comes the final step: if i can do that, then it would be possible to
    >simply start a web based e-mail service through my computer, using ASP to
    >send and recive e mails...

    You can do that, but not without registering a domain or the end user
    knowing the IP address.

    >so i have 2 questions in fact:
    >1- can i use usual internet address to access my local web page in my
    >computer wihtout registering a domain at a web server, ie can i do some
    >settings locally in my computer though some software?

    You have two options. Use the IP, or register the domain and use a
    name.

    >2- can i receive email through ASP

    No. Email is always passed through SMTP. You can use ASP to access
    an SMTP client for both sending and receiving, but you need an SMTP
    server to send or receive mail. You need a POP server to use a POP
    client such as Outlook Express.

    >if that is possible then i would be able to start a free web based e mail
    >service, just like yahoo or hotmail....

    That's exactly what the world is waiting for...

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Jun 20, 2004