Recieving mail/ASP

Ammar

OK guys,
Thanks to your help, I could finally send ASP mails with attachements...
A very strange question:
When I looked through all the sites you gave me and through Google, I got
the impression that everyone was trying to send e-mail through ASP, but no
one wrote something about building a page to RECIEVE an e-mail through a POP
server or anything else....
can it be done?
Ammar

Ammar

James Baker said:
thanks for the answer James....
could you please tell me how?? if yo know some good website about that, i
would be very grateful if i got it form you
Ammar

Jeff Cochran

Thanks to your help, I could finally send ASP mails with attachements...
A very strange question:
When I looked through all the sites you gave me and through Google, I got
the impression that everyone was trying to send e-mail through ASP, but no
one wrote something about building a page to RECIEVE an e-mail through a POP
server or anything else....
can it be done?

Sure. What exactly do you want to do with mail retrieved from a POP
server? And does an email client not do the job for you?

Jeff

Ammar

Jeff Cochran said:
Sure. What exactly do you want to do with mail retrieved from a POP
server? And does an email client not do the job for you?

Jeff

Hi
my question is in fact a bit more complicated than what i said...
you know, when i try to access my web site in IIS installed in my computer,
then i have to use my IP address, ex:
http://212.54.89.122/start.asp
i know that i can register a domain at a DNS server and then do some DNS
settings so that whenever someone types the domain name, he will be
redirected to my ip address,ex
http://ammar.com will refer to the address above, so the user wouldnt have
to remeber the complex ip numbers...
but isnt there another way? cant i simply just install some program in IIS
or in my computer so that i dont need to register a domain at a web server,
rather that everything will be done in my computer, ex i choose the name
http://ammar.com and input that through some softeware in my computer and
then, voalah! anyone can access my site though that address...
then comes the final step: if i can do that, then it would be possible to
simply start a web based e-mail service through my computer, using ASP to
send and recive e mails...
so i have 2 questions in fact:
1- can i use usual internet address to access my local web page in my
computer wihtout registering a domain at a web server, ie can i do some
settings locally in my computer though some software?
2- can i receive email through ASP
if that is possible then i would be able to start a free web based e mail
service, just like yahoo or hotmail....
thanks for your answer...
Ammar

IPT

I get what you mean.
1- can i use usual internet address to access my local web page in my
computer wihtout registering a domain at a web server, ie can i do some
settings locally in my computer though some software?

You just need to register it in your local computer. This technique is
similar to "localhost", which points to 127.0.0.1. You can alter the
information file at: "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts"
2- can i receive email through ASP
if that is possible then i would be able to start a free web based e mail
service, just like yahoo or hotmail....

There are many website which enable you to search for what you try to
accomplish. There may be many things to handle when you write asp scripts
from scretch, i.e. email format translation, handling attachment, etc.

Nearest sites you can go are: www.devguru.com and www.planetsourcecode.com.
Easiest would be download a component that manage this tedeous work for you,
and write interfacing scripts only. Where to find, you may google around.

Ammar

IPT said:
I get what you mean.

You just need to register it in your local computer. This technique is
similar to "localhost", which points to 127.0.0.1. You can alter the
information file at: "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts"

There are many website which enable you to search for what you try to
accomplish. There may be many things to handle when you write asp scripts
from scretch, i.e. email format translation, handling attachment, etc.

Nearest sites you can go are: www.devguru.com and www.planetsourcecode.com.
Easiest would be download a component that manage this tedeous work for you,
and write interfacing scripts only. Where to find, you may google around.

Thanks for the great help!
I tired it and i can assign a name instead of the cumbersum ip address...
but the question is:
can anyone on the internet access my site through the name i chose? i mean
everyone can access my site through the ip address, but can they do that now
through the name i chose, ex http://walla.malla.com? or is this only
functional on my local computer level, ie i through my computer only can
access the site??
thanks again

IPT

For this case, only your local computer level.

To get to higher level, you need higher level computer to record it.

Name is transalated to IP address, by querying it through:
1. Local Host File
2. DNS Search List

To satisfy your local computer need, you can modify the local host file
(which i mentioned in earlier post).

To satisfy global need, you need to modify (add) the DNS search list, i.e.
register a domain name. Or, alternatively, register a free one from Dynamic
DNS company.

Ammar

IPT said:
For this case, only your local computer level.

To get to higher level, you need higher level computer to record it.

Name is transalated to IP address, by querying it through:
1. Local Host File
2. DNS Search List

To satisfy your local computer need, you can modify the local host file
(which i mentioned in earlier post).

To satisfy global need, you need to modify (add) the DNS search list, i.e.
register a domain name. Or, alternatively, register a free one from Dynamic
DNS company.
so this means that there is no way to enable a global access to my site by a
normal internet address (not ip address) through any trick i would do in my
computer, rather it must be a DNS domain registration...
ie my computer can never (no matter what softwares i install) be a mini DNS
server for my web site.
is that right?

IPT

Yes, you can make your computer a DNS server, but to be globally recognised,
you need to register a domain. Otherwise, it would be only recognised by
computers that use your DNS as their search list.

Ammar

Hi again...
Thank you so much for the valuable information you gave me, i really
appreciate it ITP
Ammar

IPT

It's my pleasure, dude. Btw, it's IPT, not ITP. It stands for my name, an
Indonesian Chinese, working in Malaysia at the moment.

Jeff Cochran

[...]

No. Nobody will find your system. DNS provides name to IP
resolution, so I type a name and the system looks for that IP. To get
my system to understand your DNS names though, you have to register
the domain which provides a public record of where your DNS is, so my
system will use it to make the name conversion.
then comes the final step: if i can do that, then it would be possible to
simply start a web based e-mail service through my computer, using ASP to
send and recive e mails...

You can do that, but not without registering a domain or the end user
knowing the IP address.
so i have 2 questions in fact:
1- can i use usual internet address to access my local web page in my
computer wihtout registering a domain at a web server, ie can i do some
settings locally in my computer though some software?

You have two options. Use the IP, or register the domain and use a
name.
2- can i receive email through ASP

No. Email is always passed through SMTP. You can use ASP to access
an SMTP client for both sending and receiving, but you need an SMTP
server to send or receive mail. You need a POP server to use a POP
client such as Outlook Express.
if that is possible then i would be able to start a free web based e mail
service, just like yahoo or hotmail....

That's exactly what the world is waiting for...

Jeff