Recomended books for learning Java

news.bluecom.no

Hi

I've decieded that I need to learn Java, and hoped someone might recomend
some good books for getting started, or other valuable resources.
Earlier I've done some programming in Vb.net, and have a college cource in
elementory VB programming.
I'm also in a position where I need to develop applications that is platform
independent, and therefore Java is my choice.
I'm turning to this group for advice since I need solid recomandations, and
I don't want to waste my time searching the web for recomandations.

Please help

/A.

news.bluecom.no

Thank you very much for the feedback, Jeff.
But it doesn't answer my main question, help in finding some good resources
for learning Java development.

/A.

Lew

news.bluecom.no said:
Thank you very much for the feedback, Jeff.
But it doesn't answer my main question, help in finding some good
resources for learning Java development.

Search the Web. A quick Google search will turn up dozens of excellent books.

www.mindprod.com has some good advice for beginners, too.

Jeff Higgins

news.bluecom.no said:
Thank you very much for the feedback, Jeff.
But it doesn't answer my main question, help in finding some good
resources for learning Java development.

Core Java 2 is my personal favorite.
<http://www.horstmann.com/corejava.html>

Lew has given two excellent suggestions.

I would add search the Sun site.
<http://java.sun.com/>

I believe I understand the inspiration behind your comment:
"I don't want to waste my time searching the web for recomandations.",
but it came off pretty arrogant at first reading.

HTH
JH

dilip

On Aug 31, 2:33 pm, (e-mail address removed) wrote:

hi ,i am your kind of student who can understand things better with
Images .Some friends of mine suggest me book named Java Advance
Concepts by Iwan Barrows for Advance Java.
And for Core Java refer to book Programming in Java By E
Balaguruswamy.
This book is definitely helpful to you .Please go through it once It
contain images for Swings ,JDBC Connectivity,Servlets and many for .It
is famous book only by the name of Author any Librarian Can
understand.
Thanks,
Dilip Kumar
http://www.intelcs.com/IT-Companies/

Lew

Jeff said:
Core Java 2 is my personal favorite.
<http://www.horstmann.com/corejava.html>

Lew has given two excellent suggestions.

I would add search the Sun site.
<http://java.sun.com/>

I believe I understand the inspiration behind your comment:
"I don't want to waste my time searching the web for recomandations.",
but it came off pretty arrogant at first reading.

You cannot be a good Java programmer without reading /Effective Java/, by
Joshua Bloch.

Jeff Higgins

Lew said:
You cannot be a good Java programmer without reading /Effective Java/, by
Joshua Bloch.

This morning I got permission to spend some money on (yet another) computer
book.
I've decided to purchase "Java Concurrency in Practice". I made this
decision because
the other title in my "top two list of Java titles to purchase", "Effective
Java Programming
Language Guide" is soon to be released as 2nd Edition. (November 2007
apparently).
Thinking about "Algorithms in Java", I have the C++ edition so not sure if I
need Java.

Lew

Jeff said:
This morning I got permission to spend some money on (yet another) computer
book.
I've decided to purchase "Java Concurrency in Practice". I made this
decision because
the other title in my "top two list of Java titles to purchase", "Effective
Java Programming
Language Guide" is soon to be released as 2nd Edition. (November 2007
apparently).

I've purchased books from Amazon pre-publication and they arrive no later than
the publication date even with standard shipping. (Harry Potter 7 arrived
right on the day, standard therefore free shipping.)
Thinking about "Algorithms in Java", I have the C++ edition so not sure if I
need Java.

I bought /Java Concurrency .../ on my own dime, partly because absolutely
everyone competent recommends it, partly because multi-threading is a sore
area everywhere for everyone.

Ohmigosh! I wonder how I ever dared deal with threads before reading this
book. It does way more than show good and bad idioms - it's an education in
all the relevant APIs and clever ways to use them. (So /that's/ what Future
is for!)

If I come away from reading it with one principle, it'd be, "'ware the memory
model!"

Jeff's absolutely spot on, pairing /Effective Java/ and /Java Concurrency .../
as tied for number one the list. I intend to purchase the 2nd edition of the
former when it comes out, even though I already own the 1st edition. /Java
Puzzlers/ by Bloch is also a really good one to own. (Incidentally, Joshua
Bloch was one of the contributors to Goetz's book, too.)

Jeff Higgins

David said:
The poster's spelling error was trivial. Your apparent belief that

/errors were/
The spelling errors in the original post were atroshus. IMHO.
Your apparent
belief that
only Microsoft software is used to post to the newsgroup despite the

My "apparent belief" came from the header of the original post:
obvious evidence to the contrary in the post's header is alarming.

Flashing lights in the rear view mirror are alarming.

:_)
JH

Mark Space

news.bluecom.no said:
Hi

I've decieded that I need to learn Java, and hoped someone might
recomend some good books for getting started, or other valuable resources.
Earlier I've done some programming in Vb.net, and have a college cource
in elementory VB programming.
I'm also in a position where I need to develop applications that is
platform independent, and therefore Java is my choice.
I'm turning to this group for advice since I need solid recomandations,
and I don't want to waste my time searching the web for recomandations.

I've been recommending O'Reilly's _Learning Java_. It provides a good
balance of introduction and more advanced material so that the book can
both teach you Java and serve as a reference later.

However, if your entire experience programming consists of one VB
course, you might do better with _Head First Java_, as another poster
mentions. It's pretty remedial, too much so in my opinion, but with out
some previous experience programming in general I don't think you could
tackle _Learning Java_ yet.

kaldrenon

I'm turning to this group for advice since I need solid recomandations, and
I don't want to waste my time searching the web for recomandations.

A word of advice from a fellow learner - it can be hard to find useful
advice via searches, depending on the topic of your search (and, not
to be rude, on your spelling). But before you rule out a web search as
a waste of time, think for a second about what you want to search for.
"Learning to program Java" is, I'm certain. an extremely popular
search with over three million results (I just tried it and got
3,180,000). Furthermore, "java book" gets 128 million hits in Google.
That's more hits than "porn"!

Now, I didn't scan these results too carefully, but thanks to Google's
PageRank and other factors, I guarantee you that perusing those
results would not be a waste of your time.

Also bear in mind something about Usenet - as far as computing is
concerned, Usenet is OLD. And it's /archived/. My general rule of
thumb (although it took me a while to learn this nugget of knowledge)
is that 90% of the programming questions I have will probably have
been answered already. So it doesn't hurt to use a Usenet archive site
(I use Google Groups, but there are plenty of others) and do a quick
search for your topic. cljp returns 627 hits on the search "java book"

That said, most of the people in cljp are fairly patient and friendly,
so as you can see from other replies, there are some good book
recommendations. I don't really have any of my own - I learned what
Java I know from high school teachers and college professors who
almost never referred to a book.

HTH,
Andrew

Manivannan Palanichamy

Hi

I've decieded that I need to learn Java, and hoped someone might recomend
some good books for getting started, or other valuable resources.
Earlier I've done some programming in Vb.net, and have a college cource in
elementory VB programming.
I'm also in a position where I need to develop applications that is platform
independent, and therefore Java is my choice.
I'm turning to this group for advice since I need solid recomandations, and
I don't want to waste my time searching the web for recomandations.

Please help

/A.

1. The Java Programming Language -by Ken Arnold (Author), James
Gosling (Author)
2. Java2 The complete Reference (http://www.amazon.com/Java-2-Complete-
Reference-Fifth/dp/0072224207)