    I don't want to waste my time searching the web for recomandations.

    Please help

    /A.
    news.bluecom.no, Aug 30, 2007

  2. news.bluecom.no

    Jeff Higgins Guest

    <http://jazzy.sourceforge.net/>
    Jeff Higgins, Aug 30, 2007

  3. news.bluecom.no

    Jeff Higgins Guest

    <http://vistasupport.mvps.org/enabling_spellchecker_in_windows_mail.htm>
    Jeff Higgins, Aug 31, 2007
  4. Thank you very much for the feedback, Jeff.
    But it doesn't answer my main question, help in finding some good resources
    for learning Java development.

    /A.

    news.bluecom.no, Aug 31, 2007
  5. news.bluecom.no

    Lew Guest

    news.bluecom.no wrote:
    > Thank you very much for the feedback, Jeff.
    > But it doesn't answer my main question, help in finding some good
    > resources for learning Java development.

    Search the Web. A quick Google search will turn up dozens of excellent books.

    www.mindprod.com has some good advice for beginners, too.

    --
    Lew
    Lew, Aug 31, 2007
  6. news.bluecom.no

    Jeff Higgins Guest

    news.bluecom.no wrote:
    > Thank you very much for the feedback, Jeff.
    > But it doesn't answer my main question, help in finding some good
    > resources for learning Java development.

    Core Java 2 is my personal favorite.
    <http://www.horstmann.com/corejava.html>

    Lew has given two excellent suggestions.

    I would add search the Sun site.
    <http://java.sun.com/>

    I believe I understand the inspiration behind your comment:
    "I don't want to waste my time searching the web for recomandations.",
    but it came off pretty arrogant at first reading.

    HTH
    JH
    Jeff Higgins, Aug 31, 2007
  7. news.bluecom.no

    dilip Guest

    On Aug 31, 2:32 am, "news.bluecom.no" <> wrote:
    On Aug 31, 2:33 pm, wrote:

    hi ,i am your kind of student who can understand things better with
    Images .Some friends of mine suggest me book named Java Advance
    Concepts by Iwan Barrows for Advance Java.
    And for Core Java refer to book Programming in Java By E
    Balaguruswamy.
    This book is definitely helpful to you .Please go through it once It
    contain images for Swings ,JDBC Connectivity,Servlets and many for .It
    is famous book only by the name of Author any Librarian Can
    understand.
    Thanks,
    Dilip Kumar
    http://www.intelcs.com/IT-Companies/
    dilip, Aug 31, 2007
  8. news.bluecom.no

    Lew Guest

    Jeff Higgins wrote:
    > news.bluecom.no wrote:
    >> Thank you very much for the feedback, Jeff.
    >> But it doesn't answer my main question, help in finding some good
    >> resources for learning Java development.
    >>

    > Core Java 2 is my personal favorite.
    > <http://www.horstmann.com/corejava.html>
    >
    > Lew has given two excellent suggestions.
    >
    > I would add search the Sun site.
    > <http://java.sun.com/>
    >
    > I believe I understand the inspiration behind your comment:
    > "I don't want to waste my time searching the web for recomandations.",
    > but it came off pretty arrogant at first reading.

    You cannot be a good Java programmer without reading /Effective Java/, by
    Joshua Bloch.

    --
    Lew
    Lew, Aug 31, 2007
  9. news.bluecom.no

    Lew Guest

    dilip wrote:
    > contain images for Swings

    What is "Swings"?

    --
    Lew
    Lew, Aug 31, 2007
  10. news.bluecom.no

    Jeff Higgins Guest

    Lew wrote:
    > Jeff Higgins wrote:
    >> news.bluecom.no wrote:
    >>> Thank you very much for the feedback, Jeff.
    >>> But it doesn't answer my main question, help in finding some good
    >>> resources for learning Java development.
    >>>

    >> Core Java 2 is my personal favorite.
    >> <http://www.horstmann.com/corejava.html>
    >>
    >> Lew has given two excellent suggestions.
    >>
    >> I would add search the Sun site.
    >> <http://java.sun.com/>
    >>
    >> I believe I understand the inspiration behind your comment:
    >> "I don't want to waste my time searching the web for recomandations.",
    >> but it came off pretty arrogant at first reading.

    > You cannot be a good Java programmer without reading /Effective Java/, by
    > Joshua Bloch.

    This morning I got permission to spend some money on (yet another) computer
    book.
    I've decided to purchase "Java Concurrency in Practice". I made this
    decision because
    the other title in my "top two list of Java titles to purchase", "Effective
    Java Programming
    Language Guide" is soon to be released as 2nd Edition. (November 2007
    apparently).
    Thinking about "Algorithms in Java", I have the C++ edition so not sure if I
    need Java.
    Jeff Higgins, Aug 31, 2007
  11. news.bluecom.no

    David Segall Guest

    "Jeff Higgins" <> wrote:

    >> I don't want to waste my time searching the web for recomandations.
    >>
    >> Please help
    >>

    ><http://vistasupport.mvps.org/enabling_spellchecker_in_windows_mail.htm>

    The poster's spelling error was trivial. Your apparent belief that
    only Microsoft software is used to post to the newsgroup despite the
    obvious evidence to the contrary in the post's header is alarming.
    David Segall, Aug 31, 2007
  12. news.bluecom.no

    Lew Guest

    Jeff Higgins wrote:
    > This morning I got permission to spend some money on (yet another) computer
    > book.
    > I've decided to purchase "Java Concurrency in Practice". I made this
    > decision because
    > the other title in my "top two list of Java titles to purchase", "Effective
    > Java Programming
    > Language Guide" is soon to be released as 2nd Edition. (November 2007
    > apparently).

    I've purchased books from Amazon pre-publication and they arrive no later than
    the publication date even with standard shipping. (Harry Potter 7 arrived
    right on the day, standard therefore free shipping.)

    > Thinking about "Algorithms in Java", I have the C++ edition so not sure if I
    > need Java.

    I bought /Java Concurrency .../ on my own dime, partly because absolutely
    everyone competent recommends it, partly because multi-threading is a sore
    area everywhere for everyone.

    Ohmigosh! I wonder how I ever dared deal with threads before reading this
    book. It does way more than show good and bad idioms - it's an education in
    all the relevant APIs and clever ways to use them. (So /that's/ what Future
    is for!)

    If I come away from reading it with one principle, it'd be, "'ware the memory
    model!"

    Jeff's absolutely spot on, pairing /Effective Java/ and /Java Concurrency .../
    as tied for number one the list. I intend to purchase the 2nd edition of the
    former when it comes out, even though I already own the 1st edition. /Java
    Puzzlers/ by Bloch is also a really good one to own. (Incidentally, Joshua
    Bloch was one of the contributors to Goetz's book, too.)

    --
    Lew
    Lew, Aug 31, 2007
  13. news.bluecom.no

    Guest

    , Aug 31, 2007
  14. news.bluecom.no

    Jeff Higgins Guest

    David Segall wrote:
    > "Jeff Higgins" wrote:
    >
    >>> I don't want to waste my time searching the web for recomandations.
    >>>
    >>> Please help
    >>>

    >><http://vistasupport.mvps.org/enabling_spellchecker_in_windows_mail.htm>

    > The poster's spelling error was trivial. Your apparent belief that

    /errors were/
    The spelling errors in the original post were atroshus. IMHO.

    > Your apparent
    > belief that
    > only Microsoft software is used to post to the newsgroup despite the

    My "apparent belief" came from the header of the original post:

    > obvious evidence to the contrary in the post's header is alarming.

    Flashing lights in the rear view mirror are alarming.

    :_)
    JH
    Jeff Higgins, Aug 31, 2007
  15. news.bluecom.no

    Mark Space Guest

    news.bluecom.no wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I've decieded that I need to learn Java, and hoped someone might
    > recomend some good books for getting started, or other valuable resources.
    > Earlier I've done some programming in Vb.net, and have a college cource
    > in elementory VB programming.
    > I'm also in a position where I need to develop applications that is
    > platform independent, and therefore Java is my choice.
    > I'm turning to this group for advice since I need solid recomandations,
    > and I don't want to waste my time searching the web for recomandations.

    I've been recommending O'Reilly's _Learning Java_. It provides a good
    balance of introduction and more advanced material so that the book can
    both teach you Java and serve as a reference later.

    However, if your entire experience programming consists of one VB
    course, you might do better with _Head First Java_, as another poster
    mentions. It's pretty remedial, too much so in my opinion, but with out
    some previous experience programming in general I don't think you could
    tackle _Learning Java_ yet.
    Mark Space, Aug 31, 2007
  16. news.bluecom.no

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 23:32:58 +0200, "news.bluecom.no"
    <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said
    :

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/gettingstarted.html
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary
    Roedy Green, Sep 1, 2007
  17. news.bluecom.no

    kaldrenon Guest

    On Aug 30, 5:32 pm, "news.bluecom.no" <> wrote:
    > I'm turning to this group for advice since I need solid recomandations, and
    > I don't want to waste my time searching the web for recomandations.

    A word of advice from a fellow learner - it can be hard to find useful
    advice via searches, depending on the topic of your search (and, not
    to be rude, on your spelling). But before you rule out a web search as
    a waste of time, think for a second about what you want to search for.
    "Learning to program Java" is, I'm certain. an extremely popular
    search with over three million results (I just tried it and got
    3,180,000). Furthermore, "java book" gets 128 million hits in Google.
    That's more hits than "porn"!

    Now, I didn't scan these results too carefully, but thanks to Google's
    PageRank and other factors, I guarantee you that perusing those
    results would not be a waste of your time.

    Also bear in mind something about Usenet - as far as computing is
    concerned, Usenet is OLD. And it's /archived/. My general rule of
    thumb (although it took me a while to learn this nugget of knowledge)
    is that 90% of the programming questions I have will probably have
    been answered already. So it doesn't hurt to use a Usenet archive site
    (I use Google Groups, but there are plenty of others) and do a quick
    search for your topic. cljp returns 627 hits on the search "java book"

    That said, most of the people in cljp are fairly patient and friendly,
    so as you can see from other replies, there are some good book
    recommendations. I don't really have any of my own - I learned what
    Java I know from high school teachers and college professors who
    almost never referred to a book.

    HTH,
    Andrew
    kaldrenon, Sep 1, 2007
  18. On Aug 31, 2:32 am, "news.bluecom.no" <> wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I've decieded that I need to learn Java, and hoped someone might recomend
    > some good books for getting started, or other valuable resources.
    > Earlier I've done some programming in Vb.net, and have a college cource in
    > elementory VB programming.
    > I'm also in a position where I need to develop applications that is platform
    > independent, and therefore Java is my choice.
    > I'm turning to this group for advice since I need solid recomandations, and
    > I don't want to waste my time searching the web for recomandations.
    >
    > Please help
    >
    > /A.

    1. The Java Programming Language -by Ken Arnold (Author), James
    Gosling (Author)
    2. Java2 The complete Reference (http://www.amazon.com/Java-2-Complete-
    Reference-Fifth/dp/0072224207)

    --