    --
    "Never argue with a fool. They will drag you down to their level and win
    by experience."
    Gregory L. Hansen, Oct 11, 2004

  2. Gregory L. Hansen wrote:
    > Can you recommend an intro to Java programming in Linux?

    I suggest to work through Sun's beginner tutorial

    http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/getStarted/cupojava/index.html

    > I know Java is supposed to be platform agnostic, but different platforms
    > can have different details like which icon to drag a file on to, or what
    > command to give at the command line. And I'm not looking to exclude the
    > rest, something with instructions like "If you are using ... then do ..."
    > would be great. I just don't want to spend $50 for a book that leaves
    > out little details like how to make the program run, or find that I've
    > spent $50 for a stinker.

    I also suggest you work through the documentation of the tools that come
    with your Java SDK. I think it is a bad idea in programming to expect to
    get spoon-feed. You will have to learn to deal with whatever
    documentation is there, especially when it gets to API documentation.
    You better get used to it now.

    /Thomas
    Thomas Weidenfeller, Oct 11, 2004

  3. Gregory L. Hansen

    IchBin Guest

    Thomas Weidenfeller wrote:
    > Gregory L. Hansen wrote:
    >
    >> Can you recommend an intro to Java programming in Linux?

    > I suggest to work through Sun's beginner tutorial
    >
    > http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/getStarted/cupojava/index.html
    >
    >> I know Java is supposed to be platform agnostic, but different
    >> platforms can have different details like which icon to drag a file on
    >> to, or what command to give at the command line. And I'm not looking
    >> to exclude the rest, something with instructions like "If you are
    >> using ... then do ..." would be great. I just don't want to spend $50
    >> for a book that leaves out little details like how to make the program
    >> run, or find that I've spent $50 for a stinker.

    > I also suggest you work through the documentation of the tools that come
    > with your Java SDK. I think it is a bad idea in programming to expect to
    > get spoon-feed. You will have to learn to deal with whatever
    > documentation is there, especially when it gets to API documentation.
    > You better get used to it now.
    >
    > /Thomas

    I found these books to be the best. First ordered back in 1996-97

    *The Java Class Libraries*
    http://java.sun.com/docs/books/chanlee

    I use these all the time:

    *Java Language Specification, Second Edition*
    http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/second_edition/html/j.title.doc.html

    *The Java Virtual Machine Specification, Second Edition*
    http://java.sun.com/docs/books/vmspec/2nd-edition/html/VMSpecTOC.doc.html

    *JDK 5.0 Documentation*
    http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/

    *Java 2 Platform Standard Edition 5.0: API Specification*
    http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/

    *The Really Big Index: A list of all content pages in the The Java
    Tutorial*
    http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/reallybigindex.html

    I look at these examples from Java books and download their examples:
    *java.oreilly.com -- Welcome to the O'Reilly Java Center -- computer
    books, java books, java programming*
    http://java.oreilly.com/

    I use look at these example from time to time:

    *Code examples for the Java 2 Platform API:*

    1.2 Supplement
    http://java.sun.com/docs/books/chanlee/supplement/examples.html

    1.1 Packages: java.lang, java.net, java.text, java.util, java.math
    http://java.sun.com/docs/books/chanlee/second_edition/vol1/examples.html

    1.1 Packages: java.applet, java.awt, java.beans
    http://java.sun.com/docs/books/chanlee/second_edition/examples.html

    *The Java Developers Almanac 1.4*
    http://javaalmanac.com/
    --

    Thanks in Advance...
    IchBin

    'Laughter is inner jogging'
    - Norman Cousins, editor and author (1915-1990)
    IchBin, Oct 11, 2004
  4. Gregory L. Hansen coughed up:
    > Can you recommend an intro to Java programming in Linux?
    >
    > I know Java is supposed to be platform agnostic, but different
    > platforms can have different details like which icon to drag a file
    > on to, or what command to give at the command line. And I'm not
    > looking to exclude the rest, something with instructions like "If you
    > are using ... then do ..." would be great. I just don't want to
    > spend $50 for a book that leaves out little details like how to make
    > the program run, or find that I've spent $50 for a stinker.

    Most books will have a preamble where they show you how to compile and run
    on the following platforms:

    pc
    mac
    unix (and linux)

    ....usually with a HelloWorld.java or similar.

    As for the book, I suggest using the following website for finding /any/
    book at a great discount:

    www.bublos.com

    As for the book?

    Just Java(TM) 2 (6th Edition)
    by Peter van der Linden
    Paperback: 848 pages ; Dimensions (in inches): 1.21 x 9.18 x 6.98
    Publisher: Prentice Hall PTR; 6 edition (June 21, 2004)
    SBN: 0131482114

    You will love it.

    Here's a bublos link looking for the cheapest new one around:

    http://www.bublos.com/cgi-bin/cc.bublobot?isbn=0131482114&timer=20&geog=us

    which comes up to something like $30.25, which includes 5% tax and shipping.
    (your state will vary).

    --
    "So I just, uh... I just cut them up like regular chickens?"
    "Sure, just cut them up like regular chickens."
    Thomas G. Marshall, Oct 11, 2004
  5. Gregory L. Hansen

    Dave Monroe Guest

    (Gregory L. Hansen) wrote in message news:<ckcqnk$ejh$>...
    > Can you recommend an intro to Java programming in Linux?
    >
    > I know Java is supposed to be platform agnostic, but different platforms
    > can have different details like which icon to drag a file on to, or what
    > command to give at the command line. And I'm not looking to exclude the
    > rest, something with instructions like "If you are using ... then do ..."
    > would be great. I just don't want to spend $50 for a book that leaves
    > out little details like how to make the program run, or find that I've
    > spent $50 for a stinker.

    Download Netbeans. It gives you a lot of pointers and hints.

    It's free (www.netbeans.org).

    It also runs on just about everything that has a JVM.
    Dave Monroe, Oct 12, 2004