Recommend a book?

Gregory L. Hansen

Can you recommend an intro to Java programming in Linux?

I know Java is supposed to be platform agnostic, but different platforms
can have different details like which icon to drag a file on to, or what
command to give at the command line. And I'm not looking to exclude the
rest, something with instructions like "If you are using ... then do ..."
would be great. I just don't want to spend $50 for a book that leaves
out little details like how to make the program run, or find that I've
spent $50 for a stinker.

Thomas Weidenfeller

Gregory said:
Can you recommend an intro to Java programming in Linux?

I suggest to work through Sun's beginner tutorial

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/getStarted/cupojava/index.html
I know Java is supposed to be platform agnostic, but different platforms
can have different details like which icon to drag a file on to, or what
command to give at the command line. And I'm not looking to exclude the
rest, something with instructions like "If you are using ... then do ..."
would be great. I just don't want to spend $50 for a book that leaves
out little details like how to make the program run, or find that I've
spent $50 for a stinker.

I also suggest you work through the documentation of the tools that come
with your Java SDK. I think it is a bad idea in programming to expect to
get spoon-feed. You will have to learn to deal with whatever
documentation is there, especially when it gets to API documentation.
You better get used to it now.

/Thomas

IchBin

Thomas said:
I suggest to work through Sun's beginner tutorial

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/getStarted/cupojava/index.html

I also suggest you work through the documentation of the tools that come
with your Java SDK. I think it is a bad idea in programming to expect to
get spoon-feed. You will have to learn to deal with whatever
documentation is there, especially when it gets to API documentation.
You better get used to it now.

/Thomas

I found these books to be the best. First ordered back in 1996-97

*The Java Class Libraries*
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/chanlee

I use these all the time:

*Java Language Specification, Second Edition*
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/second_edition/html/j.title.doc.html

*The Java Virtual Machine Specification, Second Edition*
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/vmspec/2nd-edition/html/VMSpecTOC.doc.html

*JDK 5.0 Documentation*
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/

*Java 2 Platform Standard Edition 5.0: API Specification*
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/

*The Really Big Index: A list of all content pages in the The Java
Tutorial*
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/reallybigindex.html

I look at these examples from Java books and download their examples:
*java.oreilly.com -- Welcome to the O'Reilly Java Center -- computer
books, java books, java programming*
http://java.oreilly.com/

I use look at these example from time to time:

*Code examples for the Java 2 Platform API:*

1.2 Supplement
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/chanlee/supplement/examples.html

1.1 Packages: java.lang, java.net, java.text, java.util, java.math
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/chanlee/second_edition/vol1/examples.html

1.1 Packages: java.applet, java.awt, java.beans
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/chanlee/second_edition/examples.html

*The Java Developers Almanac 1.4*
http://javaalmanac.com/
--

Thanks in Advance...
IchBin

'Laughter is inner jogging'
- Norman Cousins, editor and author (1915-1990)

Thomas G. Marshall

Gregory L. Hansen coughed up:
Can you recommend an intro to Java programming in Linux?

I know Java is supposed to be platform agnostic, but different
platforms can have different details like which icon to drag a file
on to, or what command to give at the command line. And I'm not
looking to exclude the rest, something with instructions like "If you
are using ... then do ..." would be great. I just don't want to
spend $50 for a book that leaves out little details like how to make
the program run, or find that I've spent $50 for a stinker.

Most books will have a preamble where they show you how to compile and run
on the following platforms:

pc
mac
unix (and linux)

....usually with a HelloWorld.java or similar.

As for the book, I suggest using the following website for finding /any/
book at a great discount:

www.bublos.com

As for the book?

Just Java(TM) 2 (6th Edition)
by Peter van der Linden
Paperback: 848 pages ; Dimensions (in inches): 1.21 x 9.18 x 6.98
Publisher: Prentice Hall PTR; 6 edition (June 21, 2004)
SBN: 0131482114

You will love it.

Here's a bublos link looking for the cheapest new one around:

http://www.bublos.com/cgi-bin/cc.bublobot?isbn=0131482114&timer=20&geog=us

which comes up to something like $30.25, which includes 5% tax and shipping.
(your state will vary).

Dave Monroe

Can you recommend an intro to Java programming in Linux?

I know Java is supposed to be platform agnostic, but different platforms
can have different details like which icon to drag a file on to, or what
command to give at the command line. And I'm not looking to exclude the
rest, something with instructions like "If you are using ... then do ..."
would be great. I just don't want to spend $50 for a book that leaves
out little details like how to make the program run, or find that I've
spent $50 for a stinker.

Download Netbeans. It gives you a lot of pointers and hints.

It's free (www.netbeans.org).

It also runs on just about everything that has a JVM.