Recommend a free 'Status Monitor' or 'Dashboard' to report overnight tasks status?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Shug, Dec 14, 2006.

  1. Shug

    Shug Guest

    Hi,

    This is a bit off-topic, but I've had no success in other newsgroups,
    and you guys may be more knowledgeable.

    I'm looking for a free tool (some sort of 'dashboard', maybe something
    like the XP SP2 Windows Security Center) that can monitor the status of
    a number of regular tasks my PC performs.

    I know I could write this kind of app myself in C++ or Java, but I'm
    sure there must be something out there that does this already.

    Overnight, my PC does a Windows Backup, Anti-Virus scan, Anti-Spyware
    scan and a Defender scan.

    Each of these tasks has an individual return status.

    I'd like an app that can monitor this status, and in the morning,
    report on it, even just by showing status lights (like Green for ok,
    Red for a non-successful status) so that I can investigate further.

    Being able to monitor another PC on my network as well (my file server)
    would be even better.

    Any suggestions very much appreciated.

    Shug

    Shug, Dec 14, 2006

  2. Shug

    Noah Roberts Guest

    Shug wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > This is a bit off-topic, but I've had no success in other newsgroups,
    > and you guys may be more knowledgeable.
    >
    > I'm looking for a free tool (some sort of 'dashboard', maybe something
    > like the XP SP2 Windows Security Center) that can monitor the status of
    > a number of regular tasks my PC performs.

    Not made for exactly your purpose but should do it: CruiseControl

    Noah Roberts, Dec 14, 2006

  3. Shug

    red floyd Guest

    Re: Recommend a free 'Status Monitor' or 'Dashboard' to report overnighttasks status?

    Shug wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > This is a bit off-topic, but I've had no success in other newsgroups,
    > and you guys may be more knowledgeable.

    A *BIT* off-topic? Try completely off topic.

    Did you even bother looking for a newsgroup with "Windows" in its name?

    red floyd, Dec 14, 2006
  4. Shug

    Shug Guest

    Noah Roberts wrote:
    > Shug wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > This is a bit off-topic, but I've had no success in other newsgroups,
    > > and you guys may be more knowledgeable.
    > >
    > > I'm looking for a free tool (some sort of 'dashboard', maybe something
    > > like the XP SP2 Windows Security Center) that can monitor the status of
    > > a number of regular tasks my PC performs.

    > Not made for exactly your purpose but should do it: CruiseControl

    Thanks for you kind response Noah - I'll look into that ASAP!

    Like I said, could develop this myself, but if someone's already done
    it, then why reinvent the wheel?

    Cheers again

    Shug

    Shug, Dec 14, 2006
  5. Shug

    Shug Guest

    red floyd wrote:
    > Shug wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > This is a bit off-topic, but I've had no success in other newsgroups,
    > > and you guys may be more knowledgeable.

    > A *BIT* off-topic? Try completely off topic.
    >
    > Did you even bother looking for a newsgroup with "Windows" in its name?

    Yeah, thanks for your 'kind', 'helpful' response.

    If you read the first line, you'd see that I'd already tried other
    newsgroups - Windows newsgroups. No response at all. So yeah, I _did_
    bother looking for newsgroups with "Windows" in their name. 'kay?
    'kay.

    Since the type of app I'm looking for is a simple beginner's app, I
    reckoned that a great group like ...C++ or ...java would have folk
    who'd be aware of these kind of apps.

    Which they did - see Noah's response.

    Shug, Dec 14, 2006
  6. Shug

    Shug wrote:
    > red floyd wrote:
    >> Shug wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> This is a bit off-topic, but I've had no success in other newsgroups,
    >>> and you guys may be more knowledgeable.

    >> A *BIT* off-topic? Try completely off topic.
    >>
    >> Did you even bother looking for a newsgroup with "Windows" in its name?

    > Yeah, thanks for your 'kind', 'helpful' response.
    >
    > If you read the first line, you'd see that I'd already tried other
    > newsgroups - Windows newsgroups. No response at all. So yeah, I _did_
    > bother looking for newsgroups with "Windows" in their name. 'kay?
    > 'kay.

    I went to the butcher shop to get some meat, but they were out. So I
    went to the greengrocers, but they told me I was in the wrong place when
    I asked for meat. So I got mad at the greengrocer.

    red floyd, Dec 15, 2006
  7. Shug

    Jim Langston Guest

    "Shug" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > This is a bit off-topic, but I've had no success in other newsgroups,
    > and you guys may be more knowledgeable.
    >
    > I'm looking for a free tool (some sort of 'dashboard', maybe something
    > like the XP SP2 Windows Security Center) that can monitor the status of
    > a number of regular tasks my PC performs.
    >
    > I know I could write this kind of app myself in C++ or Java, but I'm
    > sure there must be something out there that does this already.
    >
    > Overnight, my PC does a Windows Backup, Anti-Virus scan, Anti-Spyware
    > scan and a Defender scan.
    >
    > Each of these tasks has an individual return status.
    >
    > I'd like an app that can monitor this status, and in the morning,
    > report on it, even just by showing status lights (like Green for ok,
    > Red for a non-successful status) so that I can investigate further.
    >
    > Being able to monitor another PC on my network as well (my file server)
    > would be even better.
    >
    > Any suggestions very much appreciated.
    >
    > Shug

    Hey, Shug, I don't know if you can help me, but I got a problem with my car.
    Every time I turn right it makes a weird clunking sound. I went to a garage
    and they said they didn't know what's wrong. Can you help me please?

    Jim Langston, Dec 15, 2006
  8. Shug

    Dag Sunde Guest

    red floyd wrote:
    > Shug wrote:
    >> red floyd wrote:

    >>> A *BIT* off-topic? Try completely off topic.
    >>>
    >>> Did you even bother looking for a newsgroup with "Windows" in its
    >>> name?

    >> Yeah, thanks for your 'kind', 'helpful' response.
    >>
    >> If you read the first line, you'd see that I'd already tried other
    >> newsgroups - Windows newsgroups. No response at all. So yeah, I
    >> _did_ bother looking for newsgroups with "Windows" in their name.
    >> 'kay? 'kay.

    > I went to the butcher shop to get some meat, but they were out. So I
    > went to the greengrocers, but they told me I was in the wrong place
    > when I asked for meat. So I got mad at the greengrocer.

    I went to the butcher shop to get some meat, but they were out. So I
    went to the greengrocers to get some meat. They told me I was in
    the wrong place in a friendly and polite way.
    Hell, they even gave me an apple and pointed me in the right direction.

    ;-)

    --
    Dag.

    Dag Sunde, Dec 15, 2006
  9. Shug

    Shug Guest

    Dag Sunde wrote:
    > red floyd wrote:
    > > Shug wrote:

    > >> Yeah, thanks for your 'kind', 'helpful' response.
    > >>
    > >> If you read the first line, you'd see that I'd already tried other
    > >> newsgroups - Windows newsgroups. No response at all. So yeah, I
    > >> _did_ bother looking for newsgroups with "Windows" in their name.
    > >> 'kay? 'kay.

    > > I went to the butcher shop to get some meat, but they were out. So I
    > > went to the greengrocers, but they told me I was in the wrong place
    > > when I asked for meat. So I got mad at the greengrocer.

    > I went to the butcher shop to get some meat, but they were out. So I
    > went to the greengrocers to get some meat. They told me I was in
    > the wrong place in a friendly and polite way.
    > Hell, they even gave me an apple and pointed me in the right direction.
    >
    > ;-)
    >
    > --
    > Dag.

    Nice one Dag. Very well put.

    Shug, Dec 15, 2006
  10. Shug

    Shug Guest

    Jim Langston wrote:
    > "Shug" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > This is a bit off-topic, but I've had no success in other newsgroups,
    > > and you guys may be more knowledgeable.
    > >
    > > I'm looking for a free tool (some sort of 'dashboard', maybe something
    > > like the XP SP2 Windows Security Center) that can monitor the status of
    > > a number of regular tasks my PC performs.
    > >
    > > I know I could write this kind of app myself in C++ or Java, but I'm
    > > sure there must be something out there that does this already.
    > >
    > > Overnight, my PC does a Windows Backup, Anti-Virus scan, Anti-Spyware
    > > scan and a Defender scan.
    > >
    > > Each of these tasks has an individual return status.
    > >
    > > I'd like an app that can monitor this status, and in the morning,
    > > report on it, even just by showing status lights (like Green for ok,
    > > Red for a non-successful status) so that I can investigate further.
    > >
    > > Being able to monitor another PC on my network as well (my file server)
    > > would be even better.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions very much appreciated.
    > >
    > > Shug

    > Hey, Shug, I don't know if you can help me, but I got a problem with my car.
    > Every time I turn right it makes a weird clunking sound. I went to a garage
    > and they said they didn't know what's wrong. Can you help me please?

    See my previous response to Dag.

    I didn't go into a car forum asking for computer-related help, so
    you're analogy doesn't hold.

    Under a work-related account I've been a subscriber to both these
    groups for years - and during that time, regularly seen folk asking for
    help to a slightly unrelated topic, and due to the generally kind
    nature of most other subscribers, getting pointed in the right
    direction. I myself have answered off-topic questions on many
    occasions, generally pointing folk in the correct direction.

    Your 'garage' didn't say that they didn't know what's wrong. They
    weren't even in. (No response at all.)

    In any case, my query was answered almost immediately by Noah - no
    bitchin', not complainin', just a short'n'sweet answer - presumably he
    saw the title, knew the answer right away and gave it, then moved on to
    whichever topic he was interested in.

    Shug, Dec 15, 2006
  11. Shug

    Lionel B Guest

    On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 10:48:12 +0100, Dag Sunde wrote:

    > red floyd wrote:
    >> Shug wrote:

    >>> Yeah, thanks for your 'kind', 'helpful' response.
    >>>
    >>> If you read the first line, you'd see that I'd already tried other
    >>> newsgroups - Windows newsgroups. No response at all. So yeah, I
    >>> _did_ bother looking for newsgroups with "Windows" in their name.
    >>> 'kay? 'kay.

    >> I went to the butcher shop to get some meat, but they were out. So I
    >> went to the greengrocers, but they told me I was in the wrong place
    >> when I asked for meat. So I got mad at the greengrocer.

    > I went to the butcher shop to get some meat, but they were out. So I
    > went to the greengrocers to get some meat. They told me I was in
    > the wrong place in a friendly and polite way.

    However, by the time about every third customer that came in seemed to
    be asking for meat, the greengrocer did occasionally get a bit ratty...

    [Ok, I think we've nailed that metaphor.]

    --
    Lionel B

    Lionel B, Dec 15, 2006
  12. Shug

    Gavin Deane Guest

    Shug wrote:
    > Jim Langston wrote:
    > > Hey, Shug, I don't know if you can help me, but I got a problem with my car.
    > > Every time I turn right it makes a weird clunking sound. I went to a garage
    > > and they said they didn't know what's wrong. Can you help me please?

    > I didn't go into a car forum asking for computer-related help, so
    > you're analogy doesn't hold.

    Yes it does. "computer-related" questions that can't be answered in the
    context of standard C++ are no more topical than questions about
    greengrocers or cars. The fact that C++ programmers use computers is
    not sufficient to make all computer related questions, or all
    programming questions, or all questions that at least one person in an
    average group of C++ programmers is likely to know the answer to
    topical.

    > Your 'garage' didn't say that they didn't know what's wrong. They
    > weren't even in. (No response at all.)

    The analogy holds either way.

    You opened your post by acknowledging you were off-topic yet you posted
    anyway. It is entirely your choice whether to respect the topicality of
    the group. If you choose not to, *and* choose to open by announcing
    that you have done so knowingly and deliberately, I don't think you
    have any grounds for being surprised by the response you receive.

    Gavin Deane

    Gavin Deane, Dec 15, 2006
  13. Shug

    Guest

    Shug wrote:
    > Under a work-related account I've been a subscriber to both these
    > groups for years - and during that time, regularly seen folk asking for
    > help to a slightly unrelated topic, and due to the generally kind
    > nature of most other subscribers, getting pointed in the right
    > direction. I myself have answered off-topic questions on many
    > occasions, generally pointing folk in the correct direction.

    Suppose you win this 'argument.' What then?

    , Dec 15, 2006
  14. Shug

    Philipp Guest

    Lionel B wrote:
    > On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 10:48:12 +0100, Dag Sunde wrote:
    >
    >> red floyd wrote:

    >>> I went to the butcher shop to get some meat, but they were out. So I
    >>> went to the greengrocers, but they told me I was in the wrong place
    >>> when I asked for meat. So I got mad at the greengrocer.

    >> I went to the butcher shop to get some meat, but they were out. So I
    >> went to the greengrocers to get some meat. They told me I was in
    >> the wrong place in a friendly and polite way.

    > However, by the time about every third customer that came in seemed to
    > be asking for meat, the greengrocer did occasionally get a bit ratty...

    Didn't he start having meat to sell? (oh yeah, and 50 years later we
    have supermarkets) :)

    Philipp, Dec 15, 2006