Recommend a free 'Status Monitor' or 'Dashboard' to report overnight tasks status?

Shug

Hi,

This is a bit off-topic, but I've had no success in other newsgroups,
and you guys may be more knowledgeable.

I'm looking for a free tool (some sort of 'dashboard', maybe something
like the XP SP2 Windows Security Center) that can monitor the status of
a number of regular tasks my PC performs.

I know I could write this kind of app myself in C++ or Java, but I'm
sure there must be something out there that does this already.

Overnight, my PC does a Windows Backup, Anti-Virus scan, Anti-Spyware
scan and a Defender scan.

Each of these tasks has an individual return status.

I'd like an app that can monitor this status, and in the morning,
report on it, even just by showing status lights (like Green for ok,
Red for a non-successful status) so that I can investigate further.

Being able to monitor another PC on my network as well (my file server)
would be even better.

Any suggestions very much appreciated.

Shug

Noah Roberts

Shug said:
Hi,

This is a bit off-topic, but I've had no success in other newsgroups,
and you guys may be more knowledgeable.

I'm looking for a free tool (some sort of 'dashboard', maybe something
like the XP SP2 Windows Security Center) that can monitor the status of
a number of regular tasks my PC performs.

Not made for exactly your purpose but should do it: CruiseControl

red floyd

Shug said:
Hi,

This is a bit off-topic, but I've had no success in other newsgroups,
and you guys may be more knowledgeable.

A *BIT* off-topic? Try completely off topic.

Did you even bother looking for a newsgroup with "Windows" in its name?

Shug

Noah said:
Not made for exactly your purpose but should do it: CruiseControl

Thanks for you kind response Noah - I'll look into that ASAP!

Like I said, could develop this myself, but if someone's already done
it, then why reinvent the wheel?

Cheers again

Shug

Shug

red said:
A *BIT* off-topic? Try completely off topic.

Did you even bother looking for a newsgroup with "Windows" in its name?

Yeah, thanks for your 'kind', 'helpful' response.

If you read the first line, you'd see that I'd already tried other
newsgroups - Windows newsgroups. No response at all. So yeah, I _did_
bother looking for newsgroups with "Windows" in their name. 'kay?
'kay.

Since the type of app I'm looking for is a simple beginner's app, I
reckoned that a great group like ...C++ or ...java would have folk
who'd be aware of these kind of apps.

Which they did - see Noah's response.

red floyd

Shug said:
Yeah, thanks for your 'kind', 'helpful' response.

If you read the first line, you'd see that I'd already tried other
newsgroups - Windows newsgroups. No response at all. So yeah, I _did_
bother looking for newsgroups with "Windows" in their name. 'kay?
'kay.

I went to the butcher shop to get some meat, but they were out. So I
went to the greengrocers, but they told me I was in the wrong place when
I asked for meat. So I got mad at the greengrocer.

Jim Langston

Shug said:
[...]

Hey, Shug, I don't know if you can help me, but I got a problem with my car.
Every time I turn right it makes a weird clunking sound. I went to a garage
and they said they didn't know what's wrong. Can you help me please?

Dag Sunde

red said:
I went to the butcher shop to get some meat, but they were out. So I
went to the greengrocers, but they told me I was in the wrong place
when I asked for meat. So I got mad at the greengrocer.

I went to the butcher shop to get some meat, but they were out. So I
went to the greengrocers to get some meat. They told me I was in
the wrong place in a friendly and polite way.
Hell, they even gave me an apple and pointed me in the right direction.

;-)

Shug

Dag said:
I went to the butcher shop to get some meat, but they were out. So I
went to the greengrocers to get some meat. They told me I was in
the wrong place in a friendly and polite way.
Hell, they even gave me an apple and pointed me in the right direction.

;-)

Nice one Dag. Very well put.

Shug

Jim said:
Hey, Shug, I don't know if you can help me, but I got a problem with my car.
Every time I turn right it makes a weird clunking sound. I went to a garage
and they said they didn't know what's wrong. Can you help me please?

See my previous response to Dag.

I didn't go into a car forum asking for computer-related help, so
you're analogy doesn't hold.

Under a work-related account I've been a subscriber to both these
groups for years - and during that time, regularly seen folk asking for
help to a slightly unrelated topic, and due to the generally kind
nature of most other subscribers, getting pointed in the right
direction. I myself have answered off-topic questions on many
occasions, generally pointing folk in the correct direction.

Your 'garage' didn't say that they didn't know what's wrong. They
weren't even in. (No response at all.)

In any case, my query was answered almost immediately by Noah - no
bitchin', not complainin', just a short'n'sweet answer - presumably he
saw the title, knew the answer right away and gave it, then moved on to
whichever topic he was interested in.

Lionel B

I went to the butcher shop to get some meat, but they were out. So I
went to the greengrocers to get some meat. They told me I was in
the wrong place in a friendly and polite way.

However, by the time about every third customer that came in seemed to
be asking for meat, the greengrocer did occasionally get a bit ratty...

[Ok, I think we've nailed that metaphor.]

Gavin Deane

Shug said:
I didn't go into a car forum asking for computer-related help, so
you're analogy doesn't hold.

Yes it does. "computer-related" questions that can't be answered in the
context of standard C++ are no more topical than questions about
greengrocers or cars. The fact that C++ programmers use computers is
not sufficient to make all computer related questions, or all
programming questions, or all questions that at least one person in an
average group of C++ programmers is likely to know the answer to
topical.
Your 'garage' didn't say that they didn't know what's wrong. They
weren't even in. (No response at all.)

The analogy holds either way.

You opened your post by acknowledging you were off-topic yet you posted
anyway. It is entirely your choice whether to respect the topicality of
the group. If you choose not to, *and* choose to open by announcing
that you have done so knowingly and deliberately, I don't think you
have any grounds for being surprised by the response you receive.

Gavin Deane

implicit_differentiation

Shug said:
Under a work-related account I've been a subscriber to both these
groups for years - and during that time, regularly seen folk asking for
help to a slightly unrelated topic, and due to the generally kind
nature of most other subscribers, getting pointed in the right
direction. I myself have answered off-topic questions on many
occasions, generally pointing folk in the correct direction.

Suppose you win this 'argument.' What then?

Philipp

Lionel said:
However, by the time about every third customer that came in seemed to
be asking for meat, the greengrocer did occasionally get a bit ratty...

Didn't he start having meat to sell? (oh yeah, and 50 years later we
have supermarkets) :)