Recommend a good programming environment for beginner?

BillJosephson

Howdy. I'm taking a java class, and they unfortunately just have us
using the DOS cmd liine and notepad to program. I'd like to use a good
environment. I used to use Codewarrior. Netbeans came with the Java
download from Sun, but it overwhelmed me, seems like I'd have to invest
a lot in learning it. Does anybody know of a sleeker, easier to get
used to environment?

Alternatively, anyone know of a good, simple, easy to follow tutorial
to get one up an running in netbeans?

Thanks a heap....

Bill J.

Danno

BillJosephson said:
Howdy. I'm taking a java class, and they unfortunately just have us
using the DOS cmd liine and notepad to program. I'd like to use a good
environment. I used to use Codewarrior. Netbeans came with the Java
download from Sun, but it overwhelmed me, seems like I'd have to invest
a lot in learning it. Does anybody know of a sleeker, easier to get
used to environment?

Alternatively, anyone know of a good, simple, easy to follow tutorial
to get one up an running in netbeans?

Thanks a heap....

Bill J.

Hell yeah Bill J! Just try Blue J: http://edu.netbeans.org/bluej/

It's like NetBeans but without the girth. This was developed
originally by university professors and students and is geared for
those learning java. Give it a try. ;)

Danno

Luc The Perverse

BillJosephson said:
Howdy. I'm taking a java class, and they unfortunately just have us
using the DOS cmd liine and notepad to program. I'd like to use a good
environment. I used to use Codewarrior. Netbeans came with the Java
download from Sun, but it overwhelmed me, seems like I'd have to invest
a lot in learning it. Does anybody know of a sleeker, easier to get
used to environment?

Alternatively, anyone know of a good, simple, easy to follow tutorial
to get one up an running in netbeans?

Thanks a heap....

Bill J.

I can't tell from briefly glancing at your headers if you use windows or
not.

If you do I suggest GEL - it is the most no frills GUI environment (just be
sure to turn off smart tabs cause they don't work)

Sometimes it crashes - so I guess it is not perfect, but for small learner
projects where you don't want code that you don't understand being
autogenerated and/or hidden - it is the best out there.

I have historically used Netbeans to make my dialogs, and then used GEL to
implement my project. Really though, once you get the basics down (after
about 60 hours of coding) you will want to make GUI apps and the integrated
environments can't be beat. I actually like NetBeans when I have a
"project" but when I have a single class/single file (usually console
based) I use GEL all the time.

On the other hand using the console and notepad or VI with a couple nice
batch files is not a bad learning tool.

Mark Space

It might be better to stick with what the class is using, you'll be able
to get more help from the prof and fellow students.
Try this quick start guide:
http://www.netbeans.org/kb/50/quickstart.html

Then see if this tutorial is useful:
http://www.netbeans.org/kb/50/using-netbeans/index.html

There are more like that here:
http://www.netbeans.org/kb/50/index.html
Hell yeah Bill J! Just try Blue J: http://edu.netbeans.org/bluej/

It's like NetBeans but without the girth. This was developed
originally by university professors and students and is geared for
those learning java. Give it a try. ;)

As long as it's not Eclipse, it can't be all bad. ^_^ I've never tried
this, I might check it out tho.

IchBin

BillJosephson said:
Thanks Mark and Luc!

Bill J.

Yes Bill, what Mark and Luc said is very good. I use GEL for quick stuff
but now a days have been hanging around Eclipse for Java and PHP.

Netbeans BlueJ Edition is nice if migrating up to the big boys toys
lol... You may want to look at Just BlueJ. Since you are learning the
language this may be the better approach. It will help you learn Java
with a OOP and OOD orientation.

http://www.bluej.org

--
Thanks in Advance... http://ichbin.9999mb.com

-William E. Taylor, Regular Guy (1952-)

BillJosephson

IchBin said:
Yes Bill, what Mark and Luc said is very good. I use GEL for quick stuff
but now a days have been hanging around Eclipse for Java and PHP.

Netbeans BlueJ Edition is nice if migrating up to the big boys toys
lol... You may want to look at Just BlueJ. Since you are learning the
language this may be the better approach. It will help you learn Java
with a OOP and OOD orientation.

http://www.bluej.org

--
Thanks in Advance... http://ichbin.9999mb.com

-William E. Taylor, Regular Guy (1952-)

Many thanks. I did try BlueJ, but it wasn't much better than NetBeans.
It just didn't make sense to me. I'm sure if I invested a little time
to read the docs it would, and I like the idea of taking a step towards
netbeans, but I just didn't have time and in fact submitted my
assignments late, 50% off.

After an hour I gave up and tried jGRASP. It was immediately
intuitively familiar, from other IDEs, and I got the programs written
pronto. So I'll stick with it until such time as I have time to check
into BlueJ a bit more.

Thanks much...

BillJosephson

TechBookReport said:
You might also want to take a look at jCreator if you're running on
Windows. There's a review here that explains why:
http://www.techbookreport.com/tbr0173.html

jCreator: http://www.jcreator.com/

You might also want to look at jEdit for a pure Java solution. A review
here: http://www.techbookreport.com/tbr0135.html

jEdit: http://www.jedit.org

HTH

Many thanks. Seems like lots of java tools out there. I wonder if there
are more than C tools....seems like it....

Thanks....

IchBin

BillJosephson said:
Many thanks. I did try BlueJ, but it wasn't much better than NetBeans.
It just didn't make sense to me. I'm sure if I invested a little time
to read the docs it would, and I like the idea of taking a step towards
netbeans, but I just didn't have time and in fact submitted my
assignments late, 50% off.

After an hour I gave up and tried jGRASP. It was immediately
intuitively familiar, from other IDEs, and I got the programs written
pronto. So I'll stick with it until such time as I have time to check
into BlueJ a bit more.

Thanks much...

You are right, JGRASP is more intuitive. I normally do recommend JGRASP
but was caught up on the Netbeans thing. They are both from academia
so you can't go wrong. JGRASP has the older IDE feel from days gone by...

--
Thanks in Advance... http://ichbin.9999mb.com
-William E. Taylor, Regular Guy (1952-)

crazzybugger

Dudes.........
you are missing the point!!! netbeans is no way considered
to be user friendly. JCreator is an excellent editor for
beginners.........(but its windows based :( ) . Anyway Eclipse is the
best of the best of the best . you cant beat this IDE . really once you
get to know what is a workspace and what is a package.........you are
on cloud 9 with eclipse....Besides it looks so much better on linux
than netbeans !!!
either go for JCreator or eclipse .Dont bother yourself with netbeans.
Netbeans (i use it for just the matissa thing which rocks! )

crazzybugger said:
Dudes.........
you are missing the point!!! netbeans is no way considered
to be user friendly. JCreator is an excellent editor for
beginners.........(but its windows based :( ) . Anyway Eclipse is the
best of the best of the best . you cant beat this IDE . really once you
get to know what is a workspace and what is a package.........you are
on cloud 9 with eclipse....Besides it looks so much better on linux
than netbeans !!!
either go for JCreator or eclipse .Dont bother yourself with netbeans.
Netbeans (i use it for just the matissa thing which rocks! )

What's the matissa thing?

Does eclipse have the power of netbeans?

Thanks, dude....

crazzybugger

avoid these netbeans stereo types....... as a beginner you are better
off with eclipse....netbeans has so many bugs (null pointer exception ,
overflow exception ) to name a few . !

Thomas Weidenfeller

BillJosephson said:
What's the matissa thing?

A very nice GUI editor (aka "form" designer) for particular tasks, which
is part of NetBeans.

May I provide some general suggestions? Instead of listening to the
fanboys ("the best of the best" ha, ha, ha)

a) you accept the fact the there is no such thing as "the best" tool,
IDE, computer language, etc.

b) many depends on individual preferences, the task at hand, experience,
education, requirements, etc. And, yes, even it seems many depends on
the mental health and sanity of the user

c) Which, as a consequence, means you, and only you can decide what is
"the best" in your particular circumstances, with your particular
background.

d) In other words: Try them. Try them all, or at least try as much as
you can get your hands on

e) Select at least two you like best and use them. Two, or more, so you
don't get dependent on a certain IDE. So you aren't helpless, don't look
stupid, and don't have to whine should you have to work in an
environment where your "best" tool is not available. So you can look
beyond your own nose and don't have to utter nonsense like "the best of
the best oft the ..."

f) Learn to use the command line tools, too. For the same reason as
above. In fact, I in general suggest to first master the command line
tools and all the basics around them before starting with an IDE.
Does eclipse have the power of netbeans?

Power? Another meaningless term in this discussion. It depends on what
you need.
Thanks, dude....

You are aware that many people here don't like to be called "dude"?

/Thomas

crazzybugger

[...]

Each and every word of yours is right.............. I
agree totally . As you said beginners should first know how to use the
command line options before going for IDE. this is the suggested to the
person who started this topic . do try out the command line option and
then switch over.......... As you say , it avoids people from getting
dependent on IDEs when they are not available .The command line is
always there for you!

crazzybugger

I was carried off with the eclipse topic ! your suggestions make more
sense and are logical......!!! Eclipse is good though :)