Recommend a GUI app for newbie webdesigner

Duende

While sitting in a puddle John Hood scribbled in the mud:
I have a web site. I do not know HTML and have no interest in learning.
The guy who built the site was kind enough to comment the HTML source
with "Start menu options here" "Start single menu option" "End Single
Menu option" "End menu options here" "Start main page" "Don't put
anything below this point"

I have copied and pasted to my heart's content, I'm very happy with the
pages. I use HTML kit which let's me flip from edit to view quickly.

There are other ways besides "Learn HTML"

Nope.

Adrian Wood

Duende said:
While sitting in a puddle John Hood scribbled in the mud:

Nope.

What a delightfully ironic signature!

There ARE other ways, including getting ready-made HTML-complaint pages and
just slotting your own text and links into them... it's just that the *best*
way (by far) is to learn HTML.

Of course, maybe one day someone will make a GUI HTML editor that actually
complies with the format and doesn't add lots of guff. Heh. Yeah, and maybe
someone will make a mobile browser that's properly CSS compliant and runs on
all mobile devices.

David Dorward

There ARE other ways, including getting ready-made HTML-complaint pages
and just slotting your own text and links into them... it's just that the
*best* way (by far) is to learn HTML.

Getting ready made pages and slotting text into them might be suitable for a
content author - but there is a noticeable lack of the "design" part of
"webdesigner"
Of course, maybe one day someone will make a GUI HTML editor that actually
complies with the format and doesn't add lots of guff.

It is going to be quite a while before AI and language recognition software
is of high enough quality to accurately imply semantics from text.

Steven Burn

Adrian Wood said:
There ARE other ways, including getting ready-made HTML-complaint pages and
just slotting your own text and links into them... it's just that the *best*
way (by far) is to learn HTML.

Agreed, the bvest way is definately to learn how to write HTML/CSS etc etc,
yourself. This gives MUCH more control over your site's layout (and indeed,
the content)
Of course, maybe one day someone will make a GUI HTML editor that actually
complies with the format and doesn't add lots of guff. Heh. Yeah, and maybe
someone will make a mobile browser that's properly CSS compliant and runs on
all mobile devices.

There cannot and never will be, a program that does what your asking,
specifically because the "standards" change on an almost monthly basis (or
whenever W3C and the likes, decide they want to confuse people even more).

I personally write all of my site's/clients site's, in my own custom
programmed software (Mercury Editor, ACF Notes) and little bit's here and
there in Notepad, trying to stick with HTML 4.0/4.01 and CSS (no specific
version) as it's what I know (and because I've not come accross a browser
that cannot display it correctly), and have no intention of allowing W3C etc
etc, to dictate what I can and cannot write.

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Disclaimer:

Toby A Inkster

Steven said:
There cannot and never will be, a program that does what your asking,
specifically because the "standards" change on an almost monthly basis (or
whenever W3C and the likes, decide they want to confuse people even more).

HTML 4.01 Strict hasn't changed since 1999.

JanC

Ben Measures said:
Steven Burn wrote:

Monthly basis? You must be looking at the draft revisions not the
final recommendations.

Just a few example release dates:
XHTML™ 1.0 (Second Edition) - W3C Recommendation, revised 1 August 2002
XHTML™ 1.1 - W3C Recommendation 31 May 2001
XHTML™ 1.0 - W3C Recommendation 26 January 2000
HTML 4.01 Specification - W3C Recommendation 24 December 1999
HTML 4.0 Specification - W3C Recommendation, revised on 24-Apr-1998
HTML 4.0 Specification - W3C Recommendation 18-Dec-1997

Now I don't know about you but I count six HTML recommedations in five
years. Doesn't appear monthly to me.

No, 4 standards in more than 6 years (1997-2004), the other 2 are revisions
that correct typo's, give more explanation on things that are often
misunderstood, etc.

Also, older standards stay valid as long as the webdesigner uses the
correct DOCTYPE.