Recommend Community Software

Guest

Hi,

I am looking for some software that allows for better and easier
communication amongst company employees. Things like blogs, forums, the
ability to publish news and newsletters would be important.

Anyone recommend something? Community Server seems to have most things but
no newsletter functionaility from what I can see.

Thanks

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Community Server is ASP.NET, so you can add your own newsletter.

SharePoint is also a good option, although you will have to find third party
bits for some of the functionality (or build yourself). WSS (Windows
SharePoint Services) is free; MOSS (Microsoft Office SharePoint Server) is
not. Both should be fine for the basics. MOSS offers more built in FUD.

There are also numerous open source pieces and starter kits you can use to
get the functionality you desire, although I do not know of one that has
"everything". Starter kits is where I would look first. Even the closest
implementation will require a bit of coding on your part.

Guest

So long as you use web based software you can easily use several soltions but
present them to your users as a whole. You can use Sharepoint for your
document management and embed forums, wiki, issue tracking software in it.
This can be done as simple as simply displaying the unmodified web page for
the other app within your full Sharepoint portal. Or you can get more complex
by building your own web parts that call in to any exposed Web Services on
the other apps.

You might also want to look at DotNetNuke. It has a lot of different add-on
modules that may encompass all the functionality you need.